The owls don't exist.They're just obviously fake puppet owls. It puts a whole new twist on the entire film.
Lloyd isn't stupid. He's insane.Let's go over a list of Lloyd's more questionable moments. He:
- Mistakes Mary's politeness for affection and falls instantly in crush with her, then takes it way too far, and is utterly oblivious to the fact that he's creeping her out.
- Is a very poor driver, and flees the scene of an accident in order to do something that probably could have been handled by airport security based solely on the fact that he was so obsessed with a woman he just met.
- Demonstrates a total lack of financial responsibilty and gets robbed because he thought he could trust somebody he just insulted.
- Face it: he wasn't even aware that he insulted her...
- It could also be that he was never robbed and just made that up so he'd have another excuse to convince Harry to go to Aspen.
- Decides to go on a cross-country road trip to be reunited with a woman he only drove to the airport.
- Sells a dead parakeet to a blind kid for twenty five dollars.
- Indulges in a totally unrealistic fantasy in which he is the ultimate hero and Mary can't wait to throw herself at him, thus demonstrating a complete lack of understanding about the way relationships work.
- Insists on annoying the hitchhiker they picked up (admittedly he was planning on killing them both, but they didn't know that), without considering that he might not want to hear the Most Annoying Sound.
- Utterly ignores Harry's needs until they are pointed out to him, like wearing two pairs of gloves until Harry says his hands are cold.
- Kills an owl with a cork and doesn't realize what's so wrong about that.
- Puts laxatives in Harry's tea instead of confronting him directly about seeing Mary.
- Still expects Mary to fall into his arms despite the fact that he is a stuttering mess and she's only with him because he has the briefcase.
- Engages in an Indulgent Fantasy Segue wherein he imagines murdering Mary's husband.
Lloyd was dating Freda because he thought she was the other twin or thought Harry was seeing the other twin.He said only "Felcher" when he remembered. He didn't say her full name.
Lloyd and Harry helped write the script for Dumb And DumbererUnfortunately, Lloyd can't read and Harry wasn't really paying attention so they ended up getting a lot of things wrong.
In addition to being insane, Lloyd is also a lot smarter than he let on.He was just a stalker that succeeded in playing "soulmate" to Harry. Eventually he found a new stalking victim in Mary. After getting tired of both Harry, Mary and playing stupid, he wanted new adventures. So he moved to another town and got a job as a cable guy. Hey, he used various aliases to hide his true identity.
Nicholas Andre owed money to a drug dealer or a shark loaner.Nicholas Andre held Bobby for ransom because he either owed a large sum of money to a drug dealer or a shark loaner and needed the money to meet their demands. Despite the fact he seemely wanted the money for himself he actually owed the respective person money pretty much like in Oliver and Company where Fagin owed money to Sykes and decided to ransom Oliver but had a change of heart when the owner was just a little girl named Jenny. It makes sense Nicholas owed money because at some points in the film his voice sounds frightened or nervous and when he was on the phone twice to Mental he again sounded like he was panicking especially at the burger bar. We also see him bum a smoke and drink something again signs of him panicking and takes them to calm down. His voice cracks when he sees that the money is all gone and in a state of paranoia holds Lloyd, Harry and Mary hostage at gun point. We finally see him on the phone booking a one way ticket to Europe implying he realises he has to escape as far away as possible from the person he owed money to otherwise he would get killed for not meeting their demands. So we can assume Nicholas at some point before the film either did drugs or borrowed a huge wad of money and could not afford to pay it back plus interest so he kidnapped Bobby to get the money and when that failed he had no choice but to escape and save his own skin.
The animated series and the prequel were all visions in Lloyd's head during his stay at the Mental institutionAnd the strange thing was... he wasn't even insane, he was faking insanity for the sake of a joke to pull on Harry!