BJ stands for "Barney Junior."BJ and Baby Bop are Barney's children... somehow. Hey, if a protoceratops and a triceratops can be siblings, there's no reason why a tyrannosaurus can't be their father.
- Then who's the mother? Did Barney eat her? And how did Riff get on the show? Adopted? Illegal dino immigrant snuck on for pay? Meh.
- Isn't at least Babybob being his daughter confirmed? Barney and the Backyard Gang in Concert had Barneyes magicing her into existence.
The real reason Barney wants children to grow up safe, happy, and healthy......is so he can eat them later. Really, he's a Tyrannosaurus rex, what would you expect.
Stella the Storyteller is a Time Lord (Really, Time Lady).Obligatory time lord theory, but with backup. Due to a Doctor Who style chameleon circuit malfunction, her TARDIS split into 2 parts, with the travel functions being a door and the suitcase being the TARDIS interior proper. She knows the ending of Barney's story (And the book containing it being old and used despite its appearance relatively early) despite the fact it was still running: She just time traveled. She was also there for several of the stories she recounts. She uses the TARDIS interior primarily for prop storage and probably has a second entrance, indicating how she was able to go to different countries using the door without having the suitcase. Barney probably is in on this, somehow, because he knew that Stella was still in the same time period when they went around the world. Possibly the Barney Bag and/or the hammerspace closet behind trees and how the dinosaurs teleport has something to do with it? In fact, most of the recurring characters not shown explicitly to have a function outside events where Barney, Stella, Mr. Boyd, or someone similar is there probably are in on it. I guess the kids are fine with this, considering their parents have been shown to have known Barney was there and at some points seen him directly.
- She even mentions finding a number for a clock "on top of a mountain in Illinois." Considering the lack of The Mountains of Illinois right now, she probably time traveled to when there ARE mountains.
- Her baseball team of 12 cousins may be her regenerations. Stella is likely on her last by now. The clock of the same episode was possibly a time synch device that allowed them all to interact to the point of baseball games without messing up anything.
Barney is MAGIC!Seriously, how else can all that imaginary stuff be perfectly congruent on several children, some of which have not met?
Nope. The real reason why Barney tries to help kids in every way he can is because:All he wants to have a family of his own. Barney is basically the embodiment of imagination itself and therefore gets to see a lot of families in his 200 million year long career. But he also sees a lot of kids who are sad and one could argue that he sees kids who are suffering from neglectful families. Barney appears to children because he wants to let them know that someone loves and cares. This goal though very hard to achieve as there are so many suffering kids in the world. So BJ and Baby-Bop are created within the minds of children when Barney is unavailable. But once they were created, the imaginations of children started to imagine all three of them together. Even though this means that the three will be constantly busy entertaining children from around the world, Barney is okay with this because he finally has a family of his own to love.
- Is this a tearjerker yet?
Barney is the Guardian of Imagination who left the others to do his own thing.All of my yes.
Barney is a dinosaur... to those who imagine him to be.Since Barney is a figment of children's imagination, he can literally turn into any shape or form. We just see him as a dinosaur because the show only revolves around the kids who imagine him that way.
- This is why on a few episodes Barney forgets that he's a dinosaur and admits that he's scared of them. He visits so many kids that it's hard to keep up what form he's in.
Tina: "What if it's a giant?"Darek: "What if it's a scary monster?"Barney: "OR WHAT IF IT'S A DINOSAUR?!? NOOOOOO- hey wait. I'm a dinosaur...
- From "Barney's Magical Musical Castle" after the kids hear a scary noise.
The show takes place during a time when the universe is shrinking.The children never leave the schoolyard, except with their "imaginations." That's because the schoolyard is all that is left of the universe. They don't go home or talk about their families, because they've been erased from existence,and by extension, the children's memories. With the universe contracting, it is not only space but TIME that is folding in on itself. This causes the age of the dinosaurs to be squashed into the age of humans, throwing Barney, Baby-Bop, and the other dinosaurs into the schoolyard with the kids. Barney distracts the kids with fun games, while other dinosaur scientists work furiously in the school's basement to save the universe.
Barney is actually an evil demon.The little toy is an idol, which the kids chant and dance around to reveal the true form. Barney only acts nice to convince the kids to give him their souls.
- Alternatively, he is a demon but he has slowly become the mask. Eventually he will have to eat some to survive but he will greatly regret it.
Backyard Gang reunion2018 will be the 30th anniversary of Barney, and there will be a special with the original backyard gang, clips from the early years, and the introduction of some of their kids onto the show.