South Vietnam never died. He is currently in hiding and playing The Chessmaster
to the whole world in some elaborate plot.
In a nutshell, Who's Laughing Now?
, with an extra helping of darkness.
After his humiliating defeat at the end of The Vietnam War
, which left him mentally broken
and missing an entire right arm
. He also got shot in the head by North Vietnam, with his own gun. He lost his land, his Nice Guy
attitude and his nation status,practically everything, while the world just f***ing watched
and left any memory of him behind
... Angered by this
, he decided to start over with a new identity, as a VERY ruthless and efficient Mega Corp.
, called Atlas, and a new, powerful cybernetic arm.
He also dons a menacing Gas Mask Long Coat
to hide his identity, as well as looking plain Bad Ass
. He now intends to take over the world
with his army of soldiers, drones, aircraft, warships and
a Kill Sat
. In short, when this masterminding Dangerously Genre Savvy
villain unleashes his plan, not much can stop him. This would be a Darker and Edgier
chapter in Hetalia.
Tropes Relating To This Supervillain
- Affably Evil: He certainly has a large amount of charisma value with him. One of the few traits retained from his South Vietnam persona.
- Arch-Nemesis: Officially one to Vietnam. The only entity to match her in terms of strength, speed and willpower.
- Unofficially to both Switzerland and Liechtenstein, as well as the other Asians.
- An Arm and a Leg: Ouch...
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The chairman of the corporation, who is the deadliest threat to the world.
- Bad Ass: Obviously.
- Bad Ass Long Coat: One that has a 'corporate' look and feel to it.
- Became Their Own Antithesis: From a weakling of a Nice Guy with idealistic thoughts and barely any combat experience and skill to an absolutely chilling, cynical and ruthless (yet still nice, to his employees at least) super villain.
- Benevolent Boss: He believes that treating employees badly would lead to rebellion and his plan falling apart, so he treats them nicely and gives everyone under him a fair go.
- Berserk Button: NEVER EVER talk about his past as Republic of Vietnam. That can't end well. Just ask Switzerland.
- Big Bad: Single - handedly the biggest threat to the world, even more so than the extraterrestrial Pictonians.
- Bigger Bad: Well, he did lead the Pict to Earth's location. He simply hid out to avoid suspicion.
- Boom Head Shot: He survived getting shot in the head by his own gun after getting his arm blasted, courtesy of North Vietnam. Now he delivers them to anyone who stands in his way, as a finishing move or as a kill tactic.
- Break the Cutie / Corrupt the Cutie: Having an arm blown off by a shotgun will do this to you.
- The Chessmaster: Plans a worldwide takeover of national governments through economical and publicity. When that fails, he launches a coordination of strategic clandestine military operations to weaken the nation's military power, followed by a full scale overthrowing of the government itself.
- Combat Pragmatist: He would exploit weakness in enemy military forces to maximum effect. He ensures that he always has an advantage over his opponents. Also, he will shoot them instead of gloating over or death-trapping them. And he makes sure to shoot twice.
- Cool Mask: Wears one all the time. either in his normal Bad Ass Long Coat or his high tech Powered Armor. Has a skull shape, probably to scare enemies or to just look cool.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Well, he looks like one, at least.
- Cyborg: As a result of his arm being replaced by a robotic variant. Also due to certain enhancements performed on himself.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He will find that one small weakness of ANY nation, and will exploit it completely.
- He also has apparently read the Evil Overlord List and thus is immune to Bond Villain Stupidity.
- The instant he gets hold of an Artifact of Doom, he immediately bags it and sends it down to the lab for further research, rather than using it immediately and risk getting destroyed by the power within.
- Also, when the opportunity arises, he will shoot them in when they least expect it.
- He also inverts the Sorting Algorithm of Evil, first sending his elite forces to destroy his foes, then mops up with his regular militia.*
- He dodges the Villain Ball with ease.
- Dating Cat Woman: With Vietnam, although he wouldn't admit to it.
- Determinator: He shrugs off damage that would normally cripple or even kill others. Ironic, considering that he was once a weak nation that could hardly defend himself.
- Then again, he is enhanced cybernetically...
- Elites Are More Glamorous: They wear stealth cloaking power armor and have heightened senses. He calls them the Kiao-Lung. They also act as his personal guards.
- Equal-Opportunity Evil: At least he doesn't discriminate.
- Expy: His Benevolent Boss tendencies, Dooms Day Device and global domination desire makes him Hank Scorpio, essentially.
- Faceless Goons: The Kiao-Lung elites. The lower - ones, not so much.
- Fallen Hero : He was once a young nation struggling to survive with the help of his friends, but was left behind for dead near the end of his conflict with North Vietnam, and had his arm blown off by a shotgun. His loss was quickly forgotten into the annals of history. That loss of his arm cultured him into becoming a cold, ruthless, efficient and downright lethal villain.
- Foil: To Vietnam. While both have similar behaviors and are equal in combat skill, strength and speed, both have different motivations and ideas about the world. Vietnam just wants to be left alone, but Atlas wants her. For mysterious reasons...
- Also one to the Pictonians. Both want to assimilate the world, but for different reasons and with different outcomes. While the Pict just want to turn the Earth into another copy of their home world, with the people having been converted into Pict, Atlas wants to Take Over the World and politically assimilate the nations to gain control of the world.
- False Flag Operation: Uses them many times, to increase distrust between nations.
- Gas Mask Long Coat: The steel plate mask doubles as a high tech, re-breather. He wears the trench coat just to look badass, as well as to carry plenty of weapons and gear. Of, course, on the battlefronts, he wears his own suit of power armor.
- The Gunslinger: If you haven't noticed already... he's a type A with a mix of B and C. He mostly uses accurately placed shots from either his revolver or assault rifle, and can easily throw lots of lead at close range if the situation requires. Before The Fall, he was a fairly weak poor shot, capable of being outgunned quite easily, which North Vietnam took full advantage of to sneak up on him and blast his arm off with a shotgun.
- He also has a lightning fast draw speed on his magnum. That makes him qualify for all 4 types of gunslinger.
- Genius Bruiser: He's strong, fast and is the brains of his private military.
- Hand Cannon: His Weapon of Choice, a very large scoped revolver, chambered in 44. Magnum.
- Hero Killer: Holy hell...
- Kill Sat: It fires large tungsten rods. It also serves as his Dooms Day Device, which allows the user one trip back in time, while completely erasing Earth's existence in the present. Atlas/South Vietnam intends to assassinate the current Vietnam before the war could start, making him Vietnam.
- Knight of Cerebus: His entrance would make the series lose its lighter shades very quickly. The humor dies, very painfully.
- Made of Iron: In his present form. Although props to his past form for surviving a gunshot wound to the head after having his arm severed off courtesy of a shotgun.
- Made of Plasticine: In his past form. Poor guy lost his arm with a shotgun blast.
- Mask of Power: He wears a distinctive black steel plate mask, just to give Turkey a run for his money, as well as striking fear into the hearts of his foes
- Mega Corp.: One that has massive political and military influence in the UN.
- Mooks: Averted, his men are very competent marksmen as well as being very Genre Savvy like their employer. Plus, they have cool looking high tech assault rifles and specialised power armor. Downplayed with his regular militia force, which, despite their ordinary appearance, can hold their own through fierce determination and aggressiveness.
- Nice Guy: Before the conflict. Afterwards...
- N.G.O. Superpower: Having enough military might to conquer the whole world? Check. Lots of influence? Check. Having a seat in the god damn United Nations? Check and mate motherf***er!.
- No Nonsense Villain
- Outside-Context Villain: His actions catch the nations off guard completely. He's seen in a very serious light. In fact, he doesn't have anything to do with the nations until he enacts his plan.
- Powered Armor: His troops wear an exotic looking type, the soldiers who are specifically sent out in high risk missions have stealth cloaking. Atlas himself uses an Ace Custom suit when he goes out to fight, armed to the teeth with on-board weaponry to supplement his gun.
- Praetorian Guard: Once again, the Kiao-Lung.
- Private Military Contractors: Gives off this vibe. They are very grounded in a militaristic look and feel. Plus, they have tanks and fighter jets. TANKS AND FIGHTER JETS for Pete's sake!
- Don't forget the massive navy!
- As well as that army of drones he uses to support his soldiers on the battlefield.
- But wait, there's more! He also has a damn Kill Sat.
- Quick Draw: Done with an over-sized scoped revolver.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: More like gold eyes, in this case. If his eyes change from dark brown to gold, Prepare to Die.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: He definitely agrees. as his main weapon is a massive scoped revolver, It packs quite a punch.
- It can shoot through steel doors. And he can Quick Draw with the damn thing!
- Played with during his South Vietnam era. He initially used a revolver, then America gave him a semi-auto. He switched back to a revolver after the war, this time chambered in a much bigger caliber.
- Start of Darkness: Vietnam shooting his right arm off with a shotgun during the Fall of Saigon. Being forgotten by his former friends also kinda counts. Getting shot in the head by your own gun definitely counts, though.
- Sibling Rivalry: Turned Up to Eleven with the current Vietnam. He really has a strong hate for her, and sees himself as the ultimate Arch-Nemesis to her. He's right, in some way. Yet he still harbors some secret feelings for her...
- Shout-Out: His Weapon of Choice, Mask of Power and charismatic qualities practically yell Lord Humungus.
- Stalker with a Crush: He secretly harbors feelings for Vietnam, though not explicitly. He seems to play mind-games with her, either to annoy her, or to force her to figure out what is going on.
- Super Strength: Strong enough to put a fist though a thick steel door, with one punch.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: From being weak, with no combat experience or skills required for such brutal conflict, relying on others for support, to powerful, skilled and completely independent of any help.
- Super Speed: As fast as France.
- Super Reflexes: Dodges and weaves past attacks and bullets.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Due to his advancements in genome sciences, as well as doing more to repair the Middle East in three years than what the governments could do in 50, he has been seen in a heroic light by many people of First and Third World nations. Vietnam, however, has doubts about his true intentions...
- Weapon of Choice: The aforementioned 44. Magnum. Though he will not pass up the chance to wield a high tech assault rifle or sniper.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His initially stated goal is to bring peace by taking over the world, removing cultural and political barriers, therefore "eliminating the major cause of conflict in the first place." His true goal, however, is to enact revenge on Vietnam, with extreme prejudice.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Has this mentality towards Vietnam, driven by revenge.
They'll be in the modern day strips, with Russia and China, as being the developing countries (or the wannabes). It'll be an allusion to BRIC. Prepare for lots of soccer and curry related jokes.
- I'm just imagining the war ending, and England having to go through Eddie Izzard's bit... The section in question is in the last about 40 seconds (I couldn't find a more specific clip :<) But the rest is worth a listen; if for no other reason than that it's pretty close to what the series is.
- Confirmed, India made its appearance in the Halloween Special
The Asian Meido
introduced after Australia is most likely to be the Philippines.
- She is counted among the Asian group, and yet, she wears a western Meido uniform. This probably reflects the Philippines' rather Western and Latin culture [despite being Asians] and the fact that many foreign maids are Filipino women. This has a bit of Unfortunate Implications for many Filipino fans because of Real Life abuses against the maids, but they are quite willing to accept her since she looks like a Tsundere and a Ninja Maid.
- Actually, that's Vietnam. There is a character in the first episode of the anime who is speculated to be the Phillipines, though.
- Word of God says the maid is simply a Spanish housemaid. I predict we'll get Philippines when he finishes drawing the ASEAN 10 as he said he wanted to do.
- Officially Jossed. Himaruya was trying out another design for Vietnam with that sketch, and he's still trying to decide what type of hairstyle to give her.
- Kurdistan is a nation without a state, whose people tends to organize as their own government. It even provides services where and when it is able to. He is a young nation, who is argued over by older nation-tans who have joint custody of him.
- So he would be a brother to Iran, but Turkey and Iraq hate him for being annoying.
- And he'd be the (grand)son of Media-tan.
Just as East Germany is really Prussia, West Germany is really the Confederation of the Rhine.
- Which was itself formed from the broken HRE, so...
The series has a distinct shortage of female compared to male nations. In Ireland's case, the author would be totally justified in making Ireland female, since Ireland's name Éireann
gives us the (female) first name of Erin
. She could possibly be a Hard-Drinking Party Girl Tsundere
with Cool Big Sis
attributes, constantly fighting against England (now the main fighting has to do with the above-mentioned "custody battle over North Ireland"). She could also have had a hand in raising the other Commonwealth nations (after all, England IRL and in Hetalia had a hands-off approach; meanwhile, Canada
and the Oceania-region Commonwealth nations have a history of Irish immigration). Going off on a tangent, Ireland and Scotland may have actually raised the Commonwealth nations together in England's absence. That would explain Canadian Gaelic
, and why more English Canadians claim Irish and/or Scottish heritage than English proper. Adding to my theory, [[* Scotland
: His accent and mannerisms. In fact, one of his abilities basically involves him caber-tossing his target. Scotland]] will have to be most definitely male, since what better name to give him than Scott
? Bonus points if they're twins
- The UK is completely male, it's already canon in that England's been tormented by his brothers since his childhood. Depending upon whether you believe that Ireland would be related to England or not, this would mean that it would also be represented by a male.
- Did it say that England only has brothers, or just has brothers plural? Because it's completely possible that they have a half-sister, and/or that Eire is the closer to Earth but less social fraternal twin to the Cute but Cacophonic brother who isn't Scotland or Wales.
- Jossed. It's specifically said England has four older brothers.
- Where so? I remember it being said he was the youngest of four brothers, which would provide weirdness for Northern Ireland being one of the elders ones (unless the Irelands were twins). He has not seemed to say much about Ireland itself in regards to their relation to England or Northern Ireland, except that their brows are thick yet with a different feel than England's.
- well maybe ireland is so tomboyish that aurthur considers her a brother even though she's a girl
- I have read notes where he said that Ireland would probably be female.
- If he's the youngest of 4, then the 4th brother would have to be Ireland, there's no real way around it. The UK has 4 countries, but Northern Ireland didn't make an appearance until the 20th century when England would already have been about 1,100 years old. Therefore, you're left with the brothers consisting of Scotland, Ireland, England, and Wales. Unless a source appears on the above troper's claim that the canon has changed, that's what we have to go with.
- In regards to the above: check below for some links that show Northern Ireland as one of the brothers. This actually makes sense, since while Northern Ireland as we know it only appeared in the last century, the Province of Ulster has been around for longer than a united Ireland, being one of the small kingdoms that eventually came to be part of Ireland, much like the Heptarchy mentioned below.
- Going off topic here, but if he's the youngest of four, what about Sealand?
- You have to think of Sealand along the lines of America, he really doesn't factor into the equation despite the role of 'brother'. The "4 brothers" refer to the countries which made up the British Isles before the UK was formed. Northern Ireland, because it came so late, is also not counted in the original four. Because the UK doesn't represent Sealand (the UK has actually gone to great lengths to avoid dealing with them because they're so volatile and annoying), he also isn't counted when it's referred to England representing his brothers in meetings. I personally like to think of Sealand more as a child in a series insistent on the terms 'brother' and 'sister', he was more born from England than anything and he doesn't affect England's fraternity.
- Maybe his brothers are Scotland, Wales, and Cornwall. It may not technically be a different country these days and hasn't been for a long time but it was when England first came into existence and remained independent until the 11th century, it's believed to have been more or less left alone by the Anglo-Saxons, and there's apparently quite a few Cornish people who think they're separate from the English, plus it's got it's own culture, language (even if there's very few people who still speak it), and flag.
- If Cornwall is personified, should Isle of Man and Brittany be too? Isle of Man would have to be a man of course, but would Brittany be male despite the name?
- Well Brittany was independent until the 16th century, on the other hand, wouldn't they be France's?
- Isle of Man is independently governed and not part of the UK, so it probably would have a personification. Whether or not he would appear in the series is a different matter (as an unimportant sidenote I like to include him when writing fanfiction).
- It's possible that, due to the fluid change of "countries" in Britain, the 4 brothers have changed over time. England may only be the youngest of the Heptarchy (which would actually be seven, so scratch that), or maybe he was the youngest until a new one came along. Conversely, it hasn't been the first time the author has changed the gender of a Hetalia character. Hungary was originally gonna be a guy, and Poland a girl... so it really could change at his whim. Or, Ireland's a cross-dresser?
- Maybe some of the Heptarchy were/are girls (based on Rule of Funny Essex almost certainly was)? Or maybe he's the youngest of four surviving brothers, since some of the Heptarchy (eg, Wessex and Mercia) probably wouldn't have survived until the present day.
- It would seem that Northern Ireland was the correct assumption, illogical as it may be. But then, no one ever claimed Hetalia to be perfectly logical... Some Stuff is said about Ireland itself, so that's up in the air. Himaruya considered a female Ireland in 2007, but it's not set in stone, and it could easily change. Apparently, she would likely have been a crybaby if he ran with this idea. Well, this strengthens a few arguments without actually settling or jossing anything.
- This troper actually believes that Ireland, Scotland, and Wales are the three older brothers, and Northern Ireland is the younger sister to all of them. That would fit in with both England being the youngest of four brothers and with having a female Irish nation-tan around...
The Philippines already appeared in the anime but the staff did not name her. ◊
the fact that she serves Spain [which in Real Life
is her colonial master] is a good indication of this.
- According to the official Hetalia book, "World Wide Walking", that's not Philippines. According to the translation, that's just a maid who's just there in the background.
- Yeah Right. And what is my country (in)famous for in the rest of the world? Maids!
- Actually, Himaruya has confirmed that she is just a Spanish housemaid when a fan asked who she was once. So, there isn't really a personification for Philippines so far in the series.
- Honestly, the belief that this is the Philippines seems more like Filipino fans reaching to find themselves in the canon more than actual, solid theory. A lot of nations have, at this point, not been personified; Philippines isn't an exception.
If there is ever a Philippines-tan she will be a girl her human name will be somewhere along the lines of Corazon Rizal.
This is WMG isn't it?
"Las Filipinas" (The Philippines in Spanish) is a feminine noun, and as said somewhere higher up in this page there aren't that many female countries. Unless another WMG above is true and he made the same mistake with the Philippines as he did with America.
Why Corazon Rizal? Well Philippines-tan will most likely have a Spanish name (almost everyone in the Philippines does). Plus it'd be a nice tribute to a well-loved former president
and the national hero.
Some of the other countries' names are based off of historical figures as well.
- Alternatively, she works as a Spanish maid/dominatrix who practices boxing...
- More specifically they are what occurs after a Nation-tan decides that the current ruling bodies of the land they represent are not acting in their land's best interest and take ruler ship for themselves. They become internally prosperous but any and all actions outside there countries fail since they disrupted the true order of things. T'Challa is aware of this that is the real reason why he doesn't sell his cure for cancer, because it only works with Wakanda. Doom on the other hand refuses to believe it hence why he keeps trying to take over the rest of the world.
Mexico is female, and will pretend to be in a relationship with America.
Since Canada is America's hat
, Mexico must be America's beard
. (See Tony's entry near the top for precedence of APH politics based on punnery
- I think that happened in Scandinavia and the World.
- Given this is Hetalia, and it doesn't shy away from Ho Yay, why is the 'female' part important?
- Because if she wasn't then she wouldn't be The Beard.
All Stateless Nations have a nation-tan.
Every stateless nations are represented by a tan somewhere in this universe. (For examples, please see the Encyclopedia of Stateless Nations). People have talked about Kurdis-tan, and we've seen Sealand in the anime already. Why not others? Maybe New England is around somewhere, living with America. And Quebec is in Canada's house.
- I'm pretty sure this one's already canon, considering bodies like Quebec and Vatican City have been personified. It's most likely that he just has had no need to show everything that has representation, and not a matter of that their representation isn't there.
- Which leaves: all the nations and stateless nations have a nation-tan, it's just that Himaruya had yet to reveal them. In any case, all nation-tans and stateless states do exist.
Che from Evita
he serves as an everyman/narrator, and at one point appears to be arguing with Eva, appealing to her conscience to help the poor like she promised to do. And, well, who better to narrate about a country's most famous citizen than the country himself. (Yes, I am aware he's supposed to be Che Guevara, but this sounds better.)
- Che from Evita has nothing to do with Che Guevara. Che is a coloquialism that can be translated as dude. Che represents the people of Argentina, the working class of Argentina or Argentina itself.
South Africa-tan is, in accordance with both theories, black. And white.
During the time where the apartheid was going on and whites ruled in South Africa, they refused to acknowledge the real South Africa-tan as their nation-tan and forced a white person into being their nation-tan. Since he was human and never meant for that role, the pressure of it more or less breaks him - we've seen that nations have some of their people's stereotypes as their personality traits. South Africa has so many cultures, languages, and groups of people native and otherwise that all of their stereotypical personality traits become his and, since many of them utterly contradict each other, it overloads him, driving him into a catatonic state. Normal nations develop slowly over time, so the real South African-tan is able to handle the diverse personalities of the nation's people. The white South Africa-tan couldn't take the sudden overload. Now that black people have gotten more rights there and have taken back their country, the real South Africa-tan is back. He or she probably let the white South Africa-tan die off peacefully, as by this time he would've lived far longer than a human was meant to be with a constant stream of Mind Rape
thrown at him; the kindest solution was to just let him go. As a result of this clusterfuck and the failure of forcing a human to be a nation-tan, no other country ever attempted it again.
- Or let's say that the original South African or Transvaal Republic fought by the British in the Boer War was the original South Africa-tan, then he was demoted to a province as the Transvaal then after the end as Gauteng province. Then, a black South-Africa tan, a mixed or Colored one, took over and became the present South Africa-tan.
- Or maybe South Africa-tan gained the power to change colors (like a chameleon) because of the stress.
Mexico is to America as Belarus is to Russia.
People think this because of the issues with immigration between Mexico and America. There's a Facebook page for it
- America isn't afraid of Mexico, though, nor does he try to avoid it like Russia always does with Belarus. From the few times Mexico has been mentioned, America seems to alternate between thinking of and working with Mexico like a business partner and considering it a rival/nuisance.
- Besides, Belarus is very forward about 'crossing Russia's borders', if Mexico tried the same thing it would probably end up either shot or sent back home (if not both). Especially now, as the US is in an immigration crack down, there's no way Mexico could be so blatant about his presence. The fanon makes their relationship concerning immigration almost a Tom and Jerry-esque one, and that might be more likely.
I'd say a type eleven; with America at point A, Mexico at B, and Texas at C. Or a type eight with the twist that despite all three loving each other they wanted the other two to be theirs exclusively thus making the obvious solution
- Texas gave America her glasses as she passed away.
The Mexican-American War was a custody dispute that ended tragically
. Texas gave America his glasses in this version, too, but possibly a little earlier.
(Sorry, I just can't picture The Republic of Texas still being alive, and if s/he isn't alive then it will be played for Drama.)
- At the same time, APH is an allegorical telling of history that is played for Rule of Funny. And your theory has precedence going against it. Prussia is still around, as well as the other Italy, meaning that two historical nations that no longer exist as nation-states are still running around causing general havoc. Sealand was never a nation (hell, you can describe it as a glorified oil platform and basically get it's nature down).
Just look at China. If you wanted to play it up for drama, the PRC is a young nation who systematically killed all the siblings who rose up from the remains of the Chinese empire, but has the bad fortune of being mentored by Russia (and getting mind-freaked) while waiting desperately for his chance to finally finish the job with the ROC (who, while never regaining her full strength due to her illness, is friends with the US and managed to create a vibrant culture of her own).
Drama only happens on rare occasion, angst is typically out of character, and the main appeal of the show is the fact that it has so many cheerfully unbalanced stereotypes playing out the roles of history.
Besides, wouldn't you want to see this joke with the Zimmerman telegraph:
America: WE HAD A DEAL! I STAY OF EUROPE, AND YOU STAY OF THE AMERICAS! IT WAS THAT SIMPLE!
Texas: Um... hey, ya'll... I really don't like the idea of Mexico trying to invade my vita...
America: Shut up, Texas! The grown ups are talking.
- Actually, the joke I want to see come from the Zimmerman telegraph involves a Tsundere Mexico turning down the offer because of the numerous ways it would upset America but saying s/he turned it down because of how difficult it would be (despite the fact that Mexico and America weren't that close at the time). However the main reason I assumed Texas had a bad end was because the glasses that are supposed to represent Texas came across as a Tragic Keepsake, and there can't be a tragic keepsake without a tragedy... however during the reading of your response I figured ways for it to be something other than a tragic keepsake and thus tragedy is no longer required.
- Considering how it's now canon that provinces and such are personified, it's hard to imagine that an economy and population as large as Texas would have been killed off.
- Not to mention the spirit. If the Nation-tans are personifications of belief and identity, well... Texans still celebrate Texas Independence Day, identify themselves as Texans before Americans, and you'll see twice as many Texas flags as American flags if you visit. It's hard to see Texas being dead with all that.
Regardless of whether either of the previous two theories is true, Mexico will have a huge case of Belligerent Sexual Tension
- Even if Mexico isn't a girl, most Latin-American Nation-Tans will be. The Dominican Republic and Haiti will have a sort of Italy-Brother's dynamic, Barbados has the Iggy-brows (which she hates), Colombia is a serious emotional wreck, and Puerto Rico is so Tsundere towards America that she tries to forget that she's technically one with him.
There was never a Confederate States-tan.
- Rather, the CSA was a council of States-tan. Since this is APH we're talking about, all of them were cheerfully deranged and able to be defeated through their eccentricities.
- No, she's clearly America's estranged sister. Her name is Dixie.
- We never see her because she's 1. not politically relevant anymore (she's only still alive thanks to power of belief) and 2. Alfred represents her and the Native America-tans as Arthur does the other British nations.
- Arthur represents the other British nations politically, though. Bodies like Native Americans are essentially unspoken for, especially outside of their various jurisdictions. If Alfred was representing them, he forgot.
- Another theory is that he/she exists as a Brazilian Enclave and city called Americana. After the Civil War, many former Confederates immigrated to Brazil, where they were known as Confederadoes. Though they consider themselves Brazilian and no longer clamor for States' rights, they still remember their Confederate heritage. It's likely that CSA was dying by the end of the Civil War and America, not wanting to have his sibling die, gave him/her over to Brazil so he/she could continue to exist.
- Maybe The Confederacy was a figment America's imagination that somehow went wild, and now the Southern states believe he's an actual nation-tan.
- Perhaps it was a Literal Split Personality?
Canada and America have a older brother named Newfoundland.
- Newfoundland was where the vikings landed at Vinland making him the oldest. Newfoundland was also a completely separate British Colony until 1949. Meaning that he fought both world wars before joining the Confederation. We never see him because neither America nor Canada can understand the accent he speaks with.
Each of the indigenous American nations also has a personification.
There can't just be "Native America-tan" because that's not
a nation. But there could certainly be, say, Apache-tan and Lakota-tan and so forth. As someone mentioned above, nowadays they're probably living on reservations with the people whose belief keeps them going.
- We've only seen one canonically so far, and the chances of seeing more are quite slim. But, especially considering the micro-nation spree that Himaruya has been on lately, within the laws of the canon they probably are all represented individually.
The personfication of Lady Liberty is America's wife/girlfriend.
The reason why is America is extremely dedicated to liberty,justice,and the pursuit of happiness.Plus in the past Lady Liberty has been used as a personification of America.I can even imagine that she came along with France as an extra bonus to the statue in her honor. I cannot think of any other country who could fit Alfred to a T.I can see her as his faithful spouse or girlfriend who carrys the high ideals the country stands for and has a continuing friendly relationship with France(provided that he doesn't do anything funny to her which would make Alfred hunt him down to the ends of the earth).I can see Alfred devoted to her and probably treats her like a queen.In other words Lady Liberty is Alfred's perfect first lady.
If England gets a unicorn and loads of fairies and stuff hovering around, then his brothers should get something too. Scotland, of course, has the Loch Ness Monster and Ireland should have some leprechauns
hanging around his house. Also, dragons are awesome
- Well, China's boss is a dragon, so it's possible.
- In playing with the stereotypes, wouldn't it be more likely he just owns lots and lots of sheep?
If the Confederate States of America exists, he/she will be shorter and younger than America.
Nations' heights and ages are at least partially determined by how powerful they are, how much land they have, and how stable they are internally. The CSA suffered from the same problem as HRE—a strong appearance but a weak constitution. His/Her vital regions could never really agree on anything except that they wanted to secede and some even wanted to secede from the CSA. Therefore, given CSA's condition and later time of "birth," it's likely that his/her growth might have been stunted.
- This one I can see, since there's no way that it could be dead with how many people still consider it alive and well. But with how fractured/underfunded/hit by natural disasters it is... Probably short and pretty scrawny.
Confederate States-tan was brutally murdered as an infant
If new nation-tans are children, and they are linked to the nations they represent... well either that or...
- Probably not. Because let's face it, many people in the South identify themselves as a separate culture from the North. More likely CSA-tan is still alive and zhe and America have a relationship kinda like Italy and Romano. We probably don't see hir due to a combination of Himaruya not wanting to deal with talk about the The American Civil War and stereotypes about America generally being more linked to the North (except if it involves cowboys, who are from the South).
Confederate States-tan was actually a split personality/clone of America
And in fact, still exists even today, deep inside America's brain, making him elect G.W. Bush.
There are two Mexico's
North and South. North is more western and South more traditional. Most likely opposite genders too; I'm going for the male to be North.
- This theory could be (and usually is) applied to nations that haven't been personified yet. While I understand the motivation, it doesn't seem to take into account how the series is. Every nation, especially one with a very large population, is culturally diverse. Yet we have single personifications for Russia, China, etc.. Mexico shouldn't be any different.
- It all depends on what Himaruya decides to show us. There appears to be only one nation per country, but we sometimes see more. South Italy, Prussia (East Germany?), and even Scotland, North Ireland, and Wales have been confirmed to exist as nations living with the "main" representatives. It could just be that whoever is dominant gets to take on the name of the country, while the other constituents taken a backseat. We don't really get to see any others, and unless Himaruya decides to show us or tell us, we may never know if there is more than one Mexico (if Mexico even appears at all). Heck, at one point, Himaruya debated making a character for Castile. Not to mention that China did get more than one personification: Hong Kong is now a part of China (having been returned), and Taiwan wants to be China (hosting the government-in-exile of of the Republic of China). We haven't seen enough of Russia to get the full story on him, yet. As well, considering the "micro-nation" wave that happened recently (on top of the ones already introduced), it really wouldn't be that hard to imagine.
- Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are separate countries, as was East Germany. Don't know a lot about Italian history, but if Italy wasn't two countries at some point then we can always go with the justification that Italy is the main character, so it's natural there would be more focus on Italian history.
- Correction, they were separate countries. And while they maintain their own separate cultures (and recently, parliaments), they are still part of the UK - a unitary state. Arguably, the same point could be made for any number of "countries" and "nations", depending on how we use the term. Mexico is a federation (The United Mexican States). That means it could easily have one, two, or even multiple -tans (a la the German states that had appeared at one point). It could also be that Mexico once had more than one, and the number's been thinned down to a single -tan. All of this, of course, depends on whether or not Himaruya bothers to make Mexico canon by drawing him/her/them/it. As for Italy, there have been a number of states on the peninsula, from a united Italy to two Italys to a large number of city-states.
- Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland are still separate countries today. Although countries are usually independent states it's not necessary for them to be. In this case, England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are formerly independent states that retain their cultural identity, institutions, and historic memories, which by definition makes them countries. These four countries make up the larger country known as the Unite Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Should Åland ever be introduced...
He/she will be Yandere
for Sweden, influenced by his/her time spent in Russia's house. Sweden will be oblivious (because he/she was such a sweet kid, pre-Russia) while Finland will use this as his reason for trying to keep him/her in his house, so he can keep an eye on him/her.
During the Qing Dynasty, Manchuria is the Prussia to China.
If Prussia was the dominant state in Germany, then in Qing Dynasty China, Manchuria is, since the Qing Dynasty is Manchu in origin. However, Manchuria was later dominated by Russia and later Japan, the latter giving him/her nominal independence as Manchukuo. However, she was reconquered back by China and was only mentioned rarely since.
- It would be history canon, but considering the fact that the region went through a complete shitkicking throughout WWII and the Second Sino-Japanese War, she may not have even survived. Especially since Manchuria was heavily Sinicized following it's incorporation into China. It may still have a regional identity, though, so he/she may still exist similar to Tibet.
- Perhaps Manchuria lives in China's house like Prussia lives in Germany's house, except s/he is now called Dongbei and does things like be a tech help operator (Dalian is a major destination, present-day, of job outsourcing and vacationing for Japanese tech companies) and making crude jokes about the good old days. The Manchu ethnic identity hasn't died yet, so the idea can be explored in fanfiction.
There are two Ireland's
Northern and Ireland. We can presume the latter will be female, since Word of God
is he was thinking of a female, crybaby, Ireland back in 2007.
- I think most people had assumed that. There should be, logically.
- I've been pimping these several times on this page, but once more shouldn't hurt. Ireland and North Ireland have been mentioned as minor characters that haven't been seen or properly developed yet. A lot of doors remain open for their eventual characterization.
Well, he might not be older but he has the looks at least. If he's not the older then Spain is a Big Brother Mentor and
a Big Brother Bully
Oh, and they have the The Glorious War Of Brotherly Rivalry
- Portugal's close relationship with Spain's maritime nemesis England probably doesn't help matters. Goodness, they probably ganged up on Spain to make his life hell during the colonial era...
- Portugal also probably holds a grudge for when Spain was in control of him or her. Their relations have consistently been terrible until the modern day, though they're starting to work it out now.
Maybe not rape (Invasion doesn't have to mean rape, reguardless of what the Fan Dumb
does in fanfiction), but, this was pretty much how Mexico was born in history. This troper can't picture Spain simply "finding" New Spain running around and adopting them like England and America. Just throwing this out there.
- The whole 'England adopting America' scenario didn't make sense in the first place. What is a European child doing in a land of people which looks nothing like him?
- When America first appeared, it was stated that there were at least 5 European Tans on the continent (there were actually quite a few more). There's no reason a European-descended Tan running around would be a Plot Hole.
- That is actually a very credible theory since Mexico is a mestizo country since the beginning, and ALMOST all the people in Mexico have a distant Spanish and Native american ancestor...
- Just fot the record there was a lot of rape when the Spanish first came to Mexico and many latin countries, and was the main reason of many mestizos...thus the born of Mexico
- More likely is that Mexico's mother was Tlaxcala, who was Spain's lover. This represent the alliance between the Spanish and the Tlaxcaltec.
Puerto Rico will be female
The island is usually referred to using feminine pronouns, both because of it's beauty (countries are usually referred to in a feminine way) and traditionally. I'm also betting on her being a loud Hard-Drinking Party Girl
who's related to Spain and America somehow.
The distant ancestors of the nation-tans...
...are both still alive, and are personifications of the various genetic markers
in the modern human population. The Y-chromosome-tans are all male, and the mitochondial DNA-tans are all female. Together, they gave rise to the earliest nation-tans, from which all others are descended. Of course, this also means that the first nation-tans were Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve, denoting a common ancestor of we mortals and the nation-tans.
Wales was responsible for naming Canada and America.
Or, at least, partially responsible. It was established earlier that England had several older siblings, Wales among them. As well, we know that England likely names the North America Bros., due to both of them having Anglophone names (Alfred was King of England and Matthew was the name of the ship in which Cabot sailed to Newfoundland). However, if you go to the page for Wales
"A lot of people in Wales are called Jones, Williams or Davies..."
Obviously, Wales was able to convince England to give America and Canada Welsh last names to go with their English first names. Makes you wonder which Commonwealth country is going to get the "Davies" surname...?
Central Asia hasn't been touched upon yet because...
In real world relations, The Baltics want nothing to do with Russia while Ukraine and Belarus are treated as being the same ethnic group as Russia. This translates easily into Hetalia with the former being scared shitless of him and the latter being his siblings. However, other ex-USSR countries like Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan would theoretically be on good terms with Russia (while not being related to him). Introducing them would possibly involve reworking Russia's character (or making retcons left and right) since he appears to not have any actual friends and any time we see Soviet!Russia, he's with only the Baltics.
England forgave New England for starting the American Revolution.
Assuming there is a New England character we haven't been introduced to yet. Evidence is in this quote from the website of the British Consulate in Boston:
"There is a strong relationship between the United Kingdom and New England, built on the wealth of our many historic, academic, business and cultural connections. But this relationship is also firmly based in the present, and a shared commitment to scientific innovation and technological advance. We are proud to promote British excellence in this dynamic part of the United States, working with New England's commercial, scientific and political communities to stimulate the exchange of ideas and the development of our common interests."
- This same sort of thing could be said for any of the original colonies, though. Virginia, for example, was exceedingly important to the British (economically, socially, governmentally, etc.), and was where the Revolutionary War was finally lost. For the exact reasons you've listed, they are also currently in very good standing with the United Kingdom. There would need to be more provided to say that "New England, as an individual, was forgiven" rather than "all the colonies were forgiven".
- That point is conceded. But the important thing to remember is that New England was the one that started it. The other colonies just participated. So it'd be simpler to forgive the other colonies, who could be seen to have just jumped on the bandwagon, than it is to forgive the young upstart that started the whole thing.
- That's assuming, though, that the one who started it is the one who will be given more responsibility. That's often not the case. In WWI the Austro-Hungarians actually started the war, and the Germans were brought in because of their alliance. Guess who got more of the blame.
The Golden Horde might be one of Russia's autonomous republics.
Portugal will be confirmed as a girl in Volume 4.
The last time when Himaruya posted drafts of a Portugal, he seems to be leaning towards a female Portugal. Either the cool big sis
type or the tomboy
- She'll probably be a Cool Big Sis. And possibly one who has a smashing sense of humor.
- Jossed. He did not make an appearance in Volume 4, and he was confirmed to be male in Hetaween 2013/2014.
Scotland has a beard.
Name ten Scottish men who don't.
- David Tennant, Gordon Brown, Kevin McKidd, John Barrowman, Alex Salmond, Angus Robertson, Ewan MacGregor, Bruce Crawford, John Swinney, and Keith Brown.
- My scottish brother in law, his two brothers, his father, one of his uncles, his best man, all three of his cousins, and one of his grandfathers; half of whom could grow a beard but prefer to be clean shaven. I met them all at the wedding. Heck I even have photos.
In reference to an earlier WMG...
The Colbert Nation is a real nation that has its own nation-tan - and that tan is Stephen Colbert.
- Yes. Hell yes. HELL. FUCKING. YES.
The Confederate States of America would have his ahoge represent Roanoke, Virginia.
The British Isles are all female except for England.
Think about it, in Hetalia, who would see this coming?
- They've been referred to as England's brothers, and when asked about Scotland, Himaruya's speculations used the word "he". He speculated that Ireland could be female. However, nothing's really set in stone yet, so this is possible.
Wales is England's Canada.
As in, if anyone sees Wales, they assume they're England. I am English, and for a long time I honestly thought Wales was a region of England.
- Well, technically it was for some hundred years...
- I tend to think of Wales on the same terms as people use for the Confederacy. He comes out for a photo op once and a while, but for the most part he's locked in the basement and ignored.
- Alternate theory: Cornwall is England's Canada. To explain: the four parts of the United Kingdom are more separate then you'd expect. N. Ireland, Scotland and Wales all have "Regional Assemblies", which are mini-Parliaments that can call referendums and pass separate laws (although they still have to go by what the British Parliament says). Cornwall doesn't have one, but there is a huge push to have Cornwall as a separate region with its own RA and also to get Cornish listed as a separate nationality. I can picture Cornwall being England's pissy twin brother who is always getting confused for England. He's a lot bitchier about it, though, and flies into a rage when confused for England. As such, the other Brits try to keep him out of the spotlight. Instead of pancakes, he has pasties, and Heaven help you if you confuse him for England while he's drunk...
- As a cornish girl, I am in full support of this theory.
- No Cornwall would be the Quebec/Texas that is always trying to get more equality.
Where are Scotland, Wales and Ireland?
Scotland and Wales are fighting Ireland. I'm not the best at history, but I'm fairly sure the IRA (Irish Republican Army) started fighting for Ireland's independence just after or just before World War 2, and since they're still trying to get Northern Ireland today, (Granted, more peacefully) It makes sense to me that that would be where the other British nations are.
- I... can't see this. It's probably mainly my own headcanon, but I don't think Scotland would fight Ireland for going independent, when they threaten it so much themselves. Also, the UK and Ireland are not at war, and haven't been since Ireland gained independence. I can see some pretty heated arguments going on, but not constant fighting. Plus, I think most of Ireland's anger is probably aimed at England. I think they're just some of the many countries that haven't appeared yet.
- The successful Irish War of Independence (it wasn't the first one) was actually kickstarted during WWI (continued and finished afterwards), making this WMG possibly right but set in the wrong time. Scotland might have fought Ireland with an "if I can't leave you can't!" mentality. Ireland was neutral in WWII, though I like to think he/she did what some Irish soldiers did by pretending to be North Irish - there might be grudges but Ireland still cares about the family that's taking a beating. Scotland and Wales - and Cornwall if he's the last of the older brothers - are playing human. Scotland and Cornwall are with the army or the RAF while Wales is in military intelligence (apparently Welsh was used to develop spy codes like the US used Native American dialects). North Ireland is also either playing human with the RAF or is too young physically to fight and instead helps out on the home front.
Ireland is another one of those characters everyone thought was a different gender to what she actually was
Thereby rectifying the "Ireland will be female" with the "England was picked on by his four brothers
". Because to him, she was his brother, as he didn't know better. Everyone was probably somewhat embarrassed when they figured it out.
Berwick-Upon-Tweed has a tan.
Anyone else heard the legend of how Berwick was accidentally left out of the end of the Crimean War (A WAR WITH RUSSIA)? I would not leave something like that glory out. Also, with the disputes between Scotland and England over whose it actually is, it's difficult to have it any other way.
- This could go one of two ways, in my mind. Either Berwick-Upon-Tweed is an immense badass and would go after Russia if Russia ever came near him, or everyone forgot about him in that war, except for Russia. Both of these are the main choices I can see because they sound most like Hetalia's style to me.
- This troper's head canon is that the personification of Berwick-on-Tweed used to be the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Bernicia (aka the northern part of Northumbria) who's been progressively demoted over the centuries and isn't happy about it.
Is Russia's childhood friend, whose history goes something like this:
- Being begrudgingly annexed into Russia's house in the 1700's.
- Changing his entire way of life for Russia despite still fighting back against him.
- Letting Russia move his industries and citizens into his house during WWII and shouldering the Union's agricultural needs, while claiming he's going to leave for China.
- Staying in Russia's house longer than any other Soviet Republic and only leaving when Russia points it out.
Present day, Russia's military and economic cooperation with Kazakhstan is second only to Belarus among the former Soviets, and Kazakhstan gives Russia huge discounts on oil and gas. So why haven't we seen him yet? Because Russia's too confused by his Tsundereness
Fem!America isn't just America's female counterpart, she is/was the Confederacy.
She has the stereotypical flirty, ditzy Southern belle look, as well as Gray Eyes
(See types 4 and 5, not to mention the Confederate soldiers had grey uniforms) and it may just be the excess patriotism but Southerners refer to America as female a lot more than Northerners do. However, a notable thing in the way of this theory is the lack of Texas.
- America is male, and has glasses to represent Texas. Femmerica does not wear glasses, but is very Well endowed. The conclusion? Her boobs are Texas.
- Jossed: she lives in another dimension with the rest of the Nyotalia girls.
Israel-tan will rise from the dead.
While a number of nations are clearly descended from ancient powers, Israel is the only example of a nation that has genuinely come back to life.
- That would be pretty cool, but it's probably more likely a new one was born (cf. Ancient Greece and Modern Greece). Although, actually, Poland also came back to life (albeit after a much shorter period of time), and he's still the original... so this would be a fair thing to happen.
Israel is the second oldest living nation with China taking first place
Probably not, Israel is a rather young country.
- But it's an incredibly old nation.
- Alternatively, Israel is a young -tan but there's another who represents Old Israel/Jewish Diaspora. Likely Modern Israel's older sibling or parent.
- There was an actual Kingdom of Israel in the old days, so an Ancient Israel-tan did exist. Unfortunately, Ancient Rome probably killed her like he did Ancient Greece and Egypt. Hebrew Diaspora-tan and Modern Israel-tan may or may not be the same person.
There are four USA-tans.
It's been said that the USA can be divided roughly in four areas, so here we go.
- Northern States: Alfred, of course! He won the American Civil War and so gets to represent the USA in world/G8 conferences.
- Southern States: Amelia Davies. She used to be the Confederacy of States, but then she lost the Civil War and was held as a prisoner. She made several escape attempts before finally being allowed out. She's racist and homophobic, but she's slowly getting over both.
- The Southern States would originally be Texas. She won her independence, then got tricked into joining the US. Angry, she rebelled, lost, and spent the rest of the time moping.
- Hawaii: Ailana Kalula. She's a fairly cool person and quite friendly. She's also good at dancing, and is most likely black.
- I always figured she'd have standard Hawaiian looks, being as old as she is. (I personally think it's been the same tan for her since she was 'founded' way back in about 300 AD.)
- Alaska: I can't think of a good first name for him, but the poor guy's surname is Braginski, as he's Russia, Ukraine and Belarus' little brother. He's scared of his siblings, but gets on OK with most other people. He can see Canada.
- A good name for Alaska would be Alexey Braginski.
- They all live together, and have a sitcom-esque relationship.
- This theory makes sense, but the regions picked really don't. For example, where would California fit in the northern/southern state distinction?
- It is its own nation-tan. It has 37 million people, 8th largest economy in the world,is one of the main technological centers of the nation, has Hollywood, and thee is California fusion and California cuisines, both of which are close together. It was also a nation for all of 5-6 weeks as well. And to be honest, i think that each state is it's own nation-tan, as the US functions in effect as a giant group of nations in practice, with America representing The Federal Government. Cities like LA and NY likely have their own tans as well. NY most likely does, considering their are movement to make the city its own state.
The girls seen in here◊
with Rome are the female medditerranean and middleastern ancient civilizations.
If you did the research, Cyprus-TRNC relations aren't as great. Probably Cyprus will become Yandere to keep that "Peace" Stigma but secretly loathes TRNC and probably Turkey. Not only that, Russia and Cyprus have REALLY GOOD
relations with each other.
The former-Yugoslav nation-tans will appear soon.
It would start with their "big sister", the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (Yugoslavia). She would take some of the younger nation-tans into her home and take care of their countries for them.
After sometime, the nations got fed up with their sister and began the Yugoslav wars. Of course they win, and Yugoslavia ends up dying (parallel to Grandpa Rome and going to country-heaven) or just disappearing for a long time.
Bosnia and Herzegovina
will be twins or just siblings. Croatia
will be male and there will be some Belligerent Sexual Tension
between him and female Slovenia
will be male as well. Serbia
will be brothers, with the former being the Big Brother Bully
will be female and look up to
her "big brother" Greece, who will tease
her but nonetheless be supportive of her
. Kosovo will prefer Macedonia being his sibling because she is much more supportive on his quest to be recognized as a full-fledged Nation-tan.
- Actually several of the former Yugoslav nations existed long before the actual formation of Yugoslavia. Over 1000 years before, actually. Yugoslavia makes as much sense personified as the Soviet Union would.
- This Croat agrees; Yugoslavia makes more sense to be just another messed up Communist family. Hell, once Tito died, each of the countries with governments at the time took turns being the main leaders of Yugoslavia for ten years. Why create a Yugo-tan and not take the chance to have the countries take turns attending world meetings and confusing the other nations?
Venezuela and Colombia will be female
- Both countries are known for their beautiful women. Venezuela will be a drop-dead gorgeous woman, referencing the fact that most Miss Universe winners are from Venezuela. She will have a love/hate relationship with America, representing how both countries are known for their tense, yet somewhat cordial relationship, will be VitriolicBestBuds with her sister (Twin?) Colombia (Due to the fact that they were originally one country, so there's the old nostalgia, and the way both governments go from being besties to sworn enemies at the drop of a hat) and will have a NeverLiveItDown moment with Spain, because of that one moment when Spain's prime minister told Hugo Chavez to shut the hell up.
- Colombia is also quite beautiful and always dramatic and over-the-top, referencing the fact that the most successful soap operas are Colombian (the other nations think it's because she's always doing cocaine, though). She is always trying to catch up with the other, more developed nations but never quite reaching their status, and she has a sort of admiration/crush on the older and "wiser" America, although she sometimes can't really comprehend why she likes America in the first place (It is no more than a high school crush, though). She really, really likes her coffee and is always ready to party and have fun (referencing the tons of carnivals in the country), normally with Brazil.
If the states of the 13 Colonies get personifications, they will be older (physically) than America.
The three nations that is next to Vietnam and Thailand in Hetaween are Malayu,Laos and either Burma or Cambodia
- Cause they're definately not just simple human(Look at the man on the right outfit,same as Thailand)
Northern Ireland is England and Ireland's child.
Since NI's much more recent than they are, it makes more sense to this troper than NI being their sibling.
- But Himaruya doesn't really go for making characters other characters' children, except when the parent is dead. Plus, I'm fairly sure the settlers in Northern Ireland from Great Britain were more Scottish than English, so if they were someone's child, I don't see why it would be England.
Ireland once dated South Italy
- It would be more likely that Ireland had a fling with Spain - he was helping him/her fend off England in the late 1500s/early 1600s, and maybe Romano had a crush.
Nevada looks like Molossia
The vast majority of the micronation-tans look like the nation they declared independence from. Sealand has England's hair and eyebrows, Wy and Hutt River have Australia's band-aid, eyebrows, and to an extent hair color, Seborga looks just like a third Italy brother, Kugelmugel has Austria's ahoge and eyes, Republic of Niko Niko
looks more or less like a little version of Japan. Apart from Molossia, the only major exception to this trend is Ladonia, but he's largely internet-based anyway, which pretty much excuses him. Molossia looks absolutely nothing like America, so if this trend holds true, the tan for the state of Nevada will likely resemble Molossia.
Some ancestors of characters
- Gaul: Most likely female, probably the mother of France, as well as possibly Switzerland, Netherlands, and Belgium. She probably had France by Rome and Switzerland, Netherlands, and Belgium by Germania.
- Scandinavia: Ancient Scandinavia up until the fall of the Vikings, that is. Likely the reason why Iceland is Norway's brother rather than son. Most likely male, they're probably parent to the Nordic 5. Almost definitely sibling to Germania.
- Sápmi: Probably female, it seems likely she'd be Finland's mother, but since she still exists as a cultural region, she would, unlike other ancestors, still be alive. Jury's still out on what she thinks of her son's relationship with Sweden.
- Persia: Enemy to Ancient Greece and parent to the as-of-yet unmentioned Iran character. My guess would be male, though it could go either way.
- Anatolia: Turkey's ancestor. It seems unlikely they'd have a relationship with Ancient Greece as bad as Turkey's with modern Greece.
- One of Turkey's new profiles says that he is not native in Anatolia but that, in fact, he came to it from Central Asia.
- Carthage: Rome has already mentioned them. Given that he said he gave Carthage a thorough beating as opposed to slept with them, Carthage likely was a man and an enemy to Rome.
- Kievan Rus': Ancestor (probably mother) to Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus. Probably a doting mother, and possibly a similar personality to Ukraine, with aspects of Russia. Also known as Mother Russia.
- Hibernia: Ireland's ancestor, presumably father as Britannia has been stated to be mother to England and his old brothers. Britannia was definitely Ireland's mother, then. Probably Britannia's brother.
- Nothing is specified about [Republic of] Ireland's relation to England and his brothers.
- Caledonia/Pict (No, not the aliens): Scotland's father and possibly Britannia's brother.
- Scotland is more Gaelic than anything (right down to the name), he and Ireland should at least share a father. Pictland was more like "the base".
- Various Native American tribes: Unlike most others, I think that it seems unlikely there was a single Native America tan. More likely, there were tans for each tribe and two major tribes from the areas of the earliest permanent European colonies in modern America and Canada were the parents of America and Canada.
- I applaud you for not making a single "Native America" character, but Native American tribes are not going to have two European, blond and blue-eyed children.
- Aztec: Ancestor to Mexico. Likely killed by Spain.
- Maya: Aztec's spouse, most likely, and another ancestor to Mexico. Likely either killed by Aztec or Spain.
- What? Why would they be Aztec's spouse? That makes zero sense. And being that the Mayans are still around today with a preserved culture, it's unlikely they would be dead.
- Byzantine Empire: Ancient Greece was referred to as the Byzantine Empire once, but that's not exactly historical canon, so it seems unlikely that they're the same person. While I would say that they might be Greece's father, that's not exactly history canon either, as they're separated from Ancient Greece by quite a while. But they might be a relative at least, and probably a brother or sister to Rome.
- Ancient Greece becoming Byzantium is as "history canon" as most of the nations are in Hetalia. Like Viking Sweden becoming Modern Sweden or the Teutonic Knights becoming East Germany.
- Iberia/Hispania: Parent to Spain and Portugal, as well as the as-of-yet unmentioned Andorra character. I would guess they'd be male.
- Dacia: Ancestor of Bulgaria, Romania, and the other countries in that general part of Europe.
- Dacia had nothing to do with Bulgaria. It's more likely his 'ancestor' would be a personification of the Bulgar tribe.
Himaruya might not make nation-tans for the rest of the UK and Ireland
- Or at last not Scotland. If Himaruya bothers to check up on the fanbase, then he might know about the internal debate on the multiple fan representations of Scotland and how they are perceived. A good example is the Pixiv design of Scotland, which is either liked or hated for various reasons. For some it's a simple as just not liking the design. Others seem to think Scotland should be a middle aged man with large muscles and a beard who screams a lot due to this being one of the scottish stereotypes. Personally, I don't see the argument. The cast of Hetalia is made up of bishounen boys, so an extremely hairy Scotland would go against the consensus of the series. Most of the rest of the arguments mostly lie in his uniform design, and how uncreative some find it.
- As a result of all the different interpetations several designs for Scotland already exist in the fandom. Some guard their ideas more viciously than others. As a result I think Himaruya might avoid making Scotland and the rest of the UK, just to avoid starting some kind of flame war among his fans.
- Smart man.
- Jossed. Himaruya has recently released pictures of them and claimed they will appear evntually.
Himaruya might not make anymore nation-tans
- Like above with Scotland problem, due to fan have their own way of interpreting their nation-tan. Not everyone in sastisfied with existing-tan personality and look. So Himaruya decided to have fan "created" one for themselves for each country.
Narrator Lady is Esperanto-tan.
Esperanto isn't a nation, it's a constructed language. Narrator Lady appears to consist of a disembodied voice. Makes sense to me.
If the series ever has a true villain (which it probably and hopefully won't), it will be the New World Order-tan or Trilateral Commission-tan.
While an international terrorist group like Al-Qaeda might be more "recent", he/she/it would be flame-war fuel. A more vague group like the New World Order, Trilateral Commission, or some other malicious synarchistic group would be much more suitable.
My visualization of this potential character is that of a pale gray-haired man wearing a lot of black clothing (sunglasses, business suit, etc.) that speaks in a low, flat tone, with a surveillance drone as a pseudo-"animal companion". Perhaps he'd live in a surveillance van or a black helicopter or something. The nations would have to team up to thwart this transnational group-tan, the point being that nations can cooperate without losing national identity.
I'm thinking about writing a fanfic about this, but I also imagine it could actually happen in the series.
Ibiza will be a total party animal and a House Music
Since Ibiza's a huge tourist hotspot and the general associations with the place includes a very kicking nightlife scene, Ibiza also has a lot of music festivals dedicated to established and up-and-coming DJs that lean strongly towards producing House Music
. So this is the most natural possibility. He or she will also likely be Spain's younger sibling, possibly with Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling
dynamics (with Ibiza being the foolish one and Spain being the somewhat more responsible one).
If Mexico appeared, he or she would be a Yandere to America
As someone said above me, America is split into different parts, though five other personifications instead of third, though there were originally thirteen.
There were originally thirteen personifications for America, with Alfred having been Delaware (since that was the first state, it would make sense if that was who he had originally been, right? Also, does anyone think America and Canada's mother was the Iroquois and their father Scandinavia?). The rest of the states originally faded away, and because America and England always got really depressed when they are mentioned, none of the other nations did. The five other parts though are. . . .
- Charlotte Jones: The Vermont Republic. She's only about twelve, and adores America, somewhere in between brother worship of Lichtenstein and Belarus. She's pretty fond of France too.
- Tim Jones: The Republic of Texas/The Confederate States of America. He and America have a very tense relationship, but there is no doubt that they love each other, such as when he gave the glasses to America. He looks exactly like America, and is the same age, just without the glasses and the cowlick on the other side of his face, representing Florida.
- Diego Lopez: The California Republic. He's a pretty laid back guy that gets along great with the Italy's, Mexico, and the Asian nations, but you better watch out if you get him mad. America and him have a good relationship, but he doesn't really talk to the other states with the exception of Hawaii. He's about fifteen.
- Anastasia Volkov: Alaska. She is close to America and has somewhat of a good relationship with Russia. She is a bit of self-conscious of the fact that she was never a nation like everyone else. She's probably seventeen.
- Kai Nakamura: Hawaii. He's eighteen and a bit aloof. He has a good relationship with the rest of America, but he doesn't really know them and they don't know him. Hates Japan with the burning of a thousand suns.
If Indonesia appears, he/she would be the self-designated hero of the ASEAN nations
- Indonesia would then have close ties with Belgium for the ASEAN-EU summits.
- They'll always be late for meetings and spend 85% of the meeting toying around with their smartphone or striking conversations with their neighbors.
Ancient Israel is a male, modern Israel is female
Judging by the pattern of new nation-tan developments, Indonesia will appear in a future blog post as an almost-complete character
Shortly after posting the most-requested nations in one list, Himaruya made a second post detailing how he has been working on making a new character for a Portugal-tan. Not long afterwards, Himaruya revealed that he finished designing a head model for Luxembourg accompanied with hair, but has yet to come up with facial features for the nation. If it goes as planned, Indonesia will get an appearance somewhere within a future blog post, possibly in a special event, but comes without any character traits or flaws, as that is still being conceptualized. Expect Malaysia to appear not long after Indonesia's revelation, along with a formal introduction and an appearance in published stips. If a Malaysian would be lucky enough to be a friend of Himaruya personally, that is.
Russia has a son, and he's called Suwarrow
This is a proof that there is a micronation that claims to be Russia's son and successor.
- Actually, information put forward in the strip makes it highly unlikely that she is Madagascar, such as when she expresses excitement about seeing the ocean.
This troper once saw a pretty good tumblr post in which someone sifted through all of the clues in that comic and concluded that she was most likely Ethiopia. Here's the link: http://fivedayslater.tumblr.com/post/46954267777/who-are-you-hetalia-edition
Himaruya will NOT make any official State-tans.
Think about it. I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Hetalia fans in the USA have their own ideas and characters for each of the states. Releasing official ones would just piss off a hell of a lot of people, since it would make their fan characters obsolete. For that reason alone, he's not likely to do it.
- Also, he's Japanese. Sure, he studied in America, but American states probably aren't going to be his priority. Even if he does become interested in US states, fans from other countries will want to see their own states/provinces ect.
Yugoslavia may be depicted as a polygamous marriage.
How it could be a polygamous marriage (and who would be the spouses):
- Serbia would be like England/UK in that he/she would be "Serbia" to his/her spouses and other family members and "Yugoslavia" to outsider countries ("Yugoslavia" being an agreed-upon common name that just about nobody could fight over) just like Arthur Kirkland is "England" to his brothers and "Britain"/UK (in the dub) to outsider countries; Serbia would also be considered the only part of Yugoslavia sane enough to attend world meetings (up until Marshall Tito's death) as the capital of Yugoslavia was Belgrade (now the capital of Serbia).
- Serbia would be the head spouse and married to (at least) Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Macedonia, and Montenegro; he/she might also get married to at least one of Croatia's potential siblings (the historical region of Dalmatia a potential option), Bosnia's sibling Herzegovina, and both his/her siblings Kosovo and Vojvodina during the Kingdom of Yugoslavia years, especially after 1929, when the country got split into approximately 9 provinces called "banates" or "banovinas".
- The Yugoslav marriage may also be a bisexual polygamous marriage in that at least one of Serbia's spouses would be of the opposite gender as most of the other Yugoslav republic-tans or region-tans, Macedonia (known as "FYROM" to Greece to placate him over the Macedonian naming dispute) being the most likely to be female with (most of) the other Yugoslavs being male. So, Serbia would be married to both men and women, even though the Balkan countries are not necessarily the most LGBT-friendly countries in Europe (actually, the exact opposite; read LGBT rights in Serbia, LGBT rights in Croatia, LGBT rights in Slovenia, LGBT rights in Bosnia and Herzegovina, LGBT rights in Macedonia, LGBT rights in Montenegro, and LGBT rights in Kosovo for more info on the current parts of ex-Yugoslavia and see when each republic decriminalized homosexuality).
- The Yugoslav republic-tans and province-tans will have the following tropes:
- Balkanize Me: A given, since it is Yugoslavia, after all.
- Dysfunction Junction: Comes to a head in the 1990s.
- Five-Man Band/Five-Bad Band
- Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia variant:
- Big Good/Bigger Bad: Josip Broz Tito, the boss of the Yugoslavs.
- The Hero/Big Bad: Serbia, whose city of Belgrade was Yugoslavia's capital.
- The Lancer/The Dragon: Croatia - second-largest ethnic group in former Yugoslavia.
- The Smart Guy/The Evil Genius: Slovenia - most industrialized of former Yugoslavia plus 10-Day War back in 1990.
- The Big Guys/The Brutes: Bosnia and Herzegovina, with the stereotype of them being Dumb Muscle.
- The Chick/The Dark Chick: Macedonia with the stereotype of identity issues (Is s/he Greek, Turkish, Albanian, Bulgarian, or what?)
- The Sixth Ranger/Eleventh Hour Ranger: Montenegro, the only other part of former Yugoslavia that managed to become its own country (and not part of Austria-Hungary like Slovenia, Croatia, and Bosnia/Herzegovina were, and not Southern Serbia like Macedonia was) before joining Yugoslavia in 1918 when it (Yugoslavia, that is) was called the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes.
- Tag Along Kid: Kosovo, of the Bratty Half-Pint (wanting to be independent from Serbia) / Corrupt the Cutie (being corrupted by Albania) variety.
- Drag Along Kid: Vojvodina, who's trying to be accomodating with multiculturalism but his/her own ethnic background of being part-Hungarian is causing him/her to be dragged into the Balkans' interfighting.
- Independent State of Croatia (NDH) / Republic of Croatia
- Big Bad/The Hero: Zagreb (capital of Croatia, same part of Croatia that fights with Serbia). As Ustashe!Croatia, leads the rest of his/her Croat siblings to run roughshod over Serbs, Roma, and Jews in (NDH). Post-Ustashe years, he remains the capital of Croatia.
- The Lancer/The Dragon: Dalmatia, substantial enough to have been recognized as a separate region within both Austria-Hungary and Kingdom of Yugoslavia.
- The Smart Guy/The Evil Genius: Lika, home region of Nikola Tesla, although has stereotypical issues with modern-day appliances.
- The Big Guy/The Brute: Slavonia, drunk as hell.
- The Chick/The Dark Chick: Zagorje, sleepy-headed like Greece.
- Sixth Ranger Traitors: Bosnia and Herzegovina as part of NDH.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Serbia (Ottoman-influenced Red) and Croatia (Hapsburg-influenced Blue).
- Also, Kosovo (independence-craving Red) and Vojvodina (multicultural Blue).
- Smoking Is Cool: Cigarette-smoking is rife over in the Balkans, with some parts of that area prone to cigarette smuggling.
There will never be designs for South America-tans.
South American countries will get mentioned but they'll never appear.
This Troper will have more information on her assertion about this theory at a future date.
- Jossed since a design for Ecuador was released.
Eva "Evita" Peron is Argentina
North Korea will never appear.
The entire country is little more than one huge personality cult worshipping the Kim line
, and is considered by many to be the Real Life
answer to [[1984 Oceania.]] NK-tan would be not only be such an Extreme Doormat Stepford Smiler
that it would be too sad, but because it's a current issue any joke would become offensive faster than post-cancellation Family Guy.
She's like an anime version of Mayr Hayastan (Basically Armenia's version of Uncle Sam), and would be one of the oldest characters (a good 2,500 years old) if she appeared. Her father was Urartu-tan, and she's possibly distantly related to Greece (the two are good friends regardless). She'd be one of Iran's only friends (mostly because Iran is the only country bordering Armenia other than Georgia who will trade with it). Sadly, Ottoman!Turkey kicked her out of her home during WWI, also raping her and attempting to murder her, which Turkey now denies. Russia rescued her from being murdered, but now basically just uses her as a pawn. These days she and Azerbaijan are fighting over Nagorno-Karabakh
-tan in a nasty custody battle. Karabakh is Armenia's biological child (who's birthname is Artsakh, but he uses both), however he was given to Azerbaijan by Russia in the Soviet days to make her big brother Turkey happy. Karabakh rebelled because Azerbaijan was abusive toward him, running away from Azerbaijan's home and claiming he's now old enough to take care of himself, though no one else agrees. He's currently living with Armenia during the lengthy court battle.