Visual Novel / Liar Liar
is a short visual novel
created by tumblr user Tokimekiwaku. Originally an experiment on how to write VNs and plot flags, the game's popularity exploded about a day after it was posted, leading to a slew of fanart and a sequel, Pants on Fire
Liar Liar follows the story of Yukari, an adorable middle schooler with green hair
. She asks the player to assist in killing her boyfriend. Along the way, she may find love, or she might die horrifically.
The first game's description and download can be found here
; the sequel is here
Please do not confuse it with the Jim Carrey movie
This game provides examples of:
- Action Survivor: Tanaka might count, as he'll save Yukari's boyfriend if you kill Miho (thus preventing her from saving Yukari from Tanaka saving Yukari's boyfriend.... it gets complicated.)
- A Love to Dismember: Apparently, Yukari keeps her victims' (or at least her favorite victims') heads in jars in her personal collection. Also, Tohru to Tanaka.
- Amicable Exes: It isn't mentioned in-game, but Word of God says that Yukari and Tanaka used to date, but broke up on good terms. This still doesn't mean Yukari won't try to kill him for getting in her way though.
- Art-Style Dissonance: Even when horrifically gory violence occurs, the art is cute and usually is in bright pastel colors. The main character is pure Sugar Bowl cute, even when covered in blood!
- Ax-Crazy: Everybody except Tanaka, Yukari's unnamed boyfriend, and possible her childhood friend Nao.
- Bad End: Boy howdy, are some of them bad. The second game is even worse, as the difference between bad and good ends is fairly ambiguous, and there are more story branches than the first. You can even get one on the first choice - if you refuse to help Yukari, she'll kill you.
- Buried Alive: Tanaka, the poor guy. See Chew Toy.
- Chew Toy: Tanaka, to ridiculous lengths. He survives being stabbed, dumped into a bathroom stall, stabbed AGAIN a few hours later, buried alive, and some further damage in the second game, depending on route. At this point, it wouldn't be surprising if he shows up for a third game.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Miho. Yukari might count with her pigtails.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Zigzags. Makes sense, as it's a VN, so going in-depth with the various murder/torture scenes is both difficult and potentially disillusioning. There's a few bloody scenes, but for the most part, the violence isn't visible. The descriptions tend to be discreet but illustrative as well.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: Yukari's long sleeves look as though they're of the Cute variety, which only masks how unhinged she is. However, her overly long sleeves are actually meant to hide that she has dermatillomania.
- If I Can't Have You: Yukari's main motivation. Also sets off basically every male character except Tanaka.
- Infant Immortality: Averted completely. Kids are killed and kill others, plus Yukari has been killing for years.
- Kill 'em All: The second game ends with almost every named character dead
- Killer Rabbit: Yukari, Miho, and Yukari's sister. Other characters may count, depending on your definition of cute. See the Ax-Crazy and Yandere descriptions.
- Living Lie Detector: Tanaka, apparently, which is why Yukari has to bump him off first. Or at least try.
- Unusual Eyebrows: Yukari's eyebrows are heart-shaped.
- Villain Protagonist: The game is about a girl murdering people after all.
- Yandere: Let's make this simple. Tanaka is the only character who can be truthfully described as non-yandere. As for the rest of the cast...
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Yukari's natural color appears to be green (her adorable, heart-shaped eyebrows match, and her sister is the same), and Tanaka's is pink.