Visual Novel / Liar Liar
is a short visual novel
created in Ren'Py
by by the tumblr user Tokimekiwaku
. Originally an experiment on how to write VNs and plot flags, the game's popularity exploded about a day after it was posted, leading to a slew of fanart and a sequel, Pants on Fire
Liar Liar follows the story of Yukari, an adorable middle schooler with green hair
. She asks the player to assist in killing her boyfriend. Along the way, she may find love, or she might die horrifically.
The first game's description and download can be found here
; the sequel is here
. Tokimekiwaku ended up making a Gaiden Game
featuring Pants On Fire
's Wakabayashi based off an old April Fools' Day
joke, which can be downloaded here
. A remake of Pants on Fire
is also in the works, with the demo
released in March 2017.
Please do not confuse it with the Jim Carrey movie
This game provides examples of:
- Action Survivor: Tanaka might count, as he'll save Yukari's boyfriend if you kill Miho (thus preventing her from saving Yukari from Tanaka saving Yukari's boyfriend.... it gets complicated.)
- A Love to Dismember: Apparently, Yukari keeps her victims' (or at least her favorite victims') heads in jars in her personal collection. Also, Tohru to Tanaka.
- Amicable Exes: It isn't mentioned in-game, but Word of God says that Yukari and Tanaka used to date, but broke up on good terms. This still doesn't mean Yukari won't try to kill him for getting in her way though.
- Art-Style Dissonance: Even when horrifically gory violence occurs, the art is cute and usually is in bright pastel colors. The main character is pure Sugar Bowl cute, even when covered in blood!
- Author Appeal: This game carries all the staples of Tokimekiwaku's art: deceptively cute characters with sinister personalities, lots of pastel colors, and plenty of gore.
- Ax-Crazy: Everybody except Tanaka, Yukari's unnamed boyfriend, and possible her childhood friend Nao.
- Bad End: Boy howdy, are some of them bad. The second game is even worse, as the difference between bad and good ends is fairly ambiguous, and there are more story branches than the first. You can even get one on the first choice - if you refuse to help Yukari, she'll kill you.
- Buried Alive: Tanaka, the poor guy. See Chew Toy.
- Chew Toy: Tanaka, to ridiculous lengths. He survives being stabbed, dumped into a bathroom stall, stabbed AGAIN a few hours later, buried alive, and some further damage in the second game, depending on route. At this point, it wouldn't be surprising if he shows up for a third game.
- Crapsaccharine World: This cute pastel world is a Dysfunction Junction of Stepford Smilers, jerkass middle schoolers, abuse, murder, and general apathy, where the only good people are either picked on or dead.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Miho. Yukari might count with her pigtails.
- Gaiden Game: Blood Idol Wakabayashi, which mostly centers on Wakabayashi trying to become an idol.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Zigzags. Makes sense, as it's a VN, so going in-depth with the various murder/torture scenes is both difficult and potentially disillusioning. There's a few bloody scenes, but for the most part, the violence isn't visible. The descriptions tend to be discreet but illustrative as well.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: Yukari's long sleeves look as though they're of the Cute variety, which only masks how unhinged she is. However, her overly long sleeves are actually meant to hide that she has dermatillomania.
- Infant Immortality: Averted completely. Kids are killed and kill others, plus Yukari has been killing for years.
- Kids Are Cruel: To say that about a good chunk of the cast and what they get up to is a vast understatement.
- Kill 'em All: The second game ends with almost every named character dead.
- Killer Rabbit: Yukari, Miho, and Yukari's sister. Other characters may count, depending on your definition of cute. See the Ax-Crazy description.
- Living Lie Detector: Tanaka, apparently, which is why Yukari has to bump him off first. Or at least try.
- Unusual Eyebrows: Yukari's eyebrows are heart-shaped.
- Villain Protagonist: The game is about a girl murdering people after all.
- Yandere: Tohru towards Tanaka.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Yukari's natural color appears to be green (her adorable, heart-shaped eyebrows match, and her sister is the same), and Tanaka's is pink.
- Your Cheating Heart: Yukari's main motive for killing her boyfriend amounts to this. That is, if she's not lying about it.