Visual Novel: Koi To Senkyo To Chocolate
The story of a boy yearning for true love and a girl hating chocolate.
Or, in English, Love, Election & Chocolate.
An adult Visual Novel
released in 2010 by the relatively new company Sprite. It features artwork by Akinashi Yuu, music by I've Sound, and an all-star voice cast. An all-ages
PSP version of the game was released in September 2012, as well as an anime adaptation that started airing as a part of the summer season of 2012.
Ohjima Yuuki is a second-year student at the extremely prestigious private high school called Takafuji Gakuen. This school has a student body of about six thousand, and most of its students are on the fast track to good careers. Perhaps because of that, the Absurdly Powerful Student Council
takes a strong role in maintaining and governing the students; kiddy politics though they may be compared to the real world, the student government is also practice for aspiring politicians, and is Serious Business
Of late, the budget for school clubs has become stretched thin. It's almost time for the third-year Student Council President
, Mouri Yakumo, to step down—and because of this, the club budget is an important issue in this year's election. Frontrunner candidate Shinonome Satsuki openly intends to deal with the issue by abolishing all clubs with "no merit"
. This includes the Food Research Club that Yuuki is in, where he and a handful of his friends do nothing but hang out and eat sweets.
When Yuuki and the club go to Mouri for help, he suggests that Yuuki should enter the election himself in order to protect his daily life. And so Yuuki does, quickly getting swept up into the school's political situation.
The heroines you can romance in game are:
- Sumiyoshi Chisato, Yuuki's Patient Childhood Love Interest and the president of the Food Research Club. A second-year student just like Yuuki. A Genki Girl. Because of a mysterious incident in her past, she refuses to eat chocolate. She is the main heroine, and the player must complete her route in order to unlock the four others. Voiced by Nakamura Eriko.
- Kiba Mifuyu, a good friend of Chisato. She's a year older than Chisato and Yuuki, but is an Ill Girl and has been held back to be in the same year as them due to her frequent sicknesses. She is from Hokkaido and knows a lot about its foods. Voiced by Mizuhashi Kaori.
- Aomi Isara, a first-year student. She is very poor and goes to school almost entirely on scholarships, causing her to be the target of bullying, but she is a hardworking Pollyanna who is never discouraged. Has a special talent for finding Four Leaf Clovers and a Signature Laugh. Voiced by Kadowaki Mai.
- Shinonome Satsuki, a second-year student and Yuuki's political rival. She is wise and strong-willed, but because her family runs a wagashinote shop, she has a weakness for the Western sweets she's rarely able to eat. Boobs of Steel. Has a distinctive red-bobbled hair tie. Voiced by Asakawa Yuu.
- Morishita Michiru, a first-year student in Isara's class. The Quiet One. She wandered into the Food Research Club on a whim. Fickle, but apparently likes Yuuki. She's usually seen eating her Trademark Favorite Food, the Yaoi-bounote , and playing her PSP. Considered to be catlike. Voiced by Imai Asami.
- Edagawa Nozomi, a third-year student and former president of the Food Research Club. Affectionately called "Non-chan" by her peers. She used to live overseas, where she skipped a grade. Loves Yuuki's handmade Ohjima Roll sweets. Good friends with Mouri, to the point of calling him "Yakkun". Voiced by Gibu Yuuko. Her route is PSP-exclusive.
The anime adaptation features an original scenario that incorporates content from Satsuki, Michiru, and Chisato's routes.
There are currently two manga adaptations running, one simply titled Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
that focuses on Chisato's storyline and one with the subtitle Stray Little Cat
that focuses on (you guessed it) Michiru.
See also Ima Sugu Oniichan Ni Imouto Da Tte Iitai!
, which is set in the same universe.
This Visual Novel employs the following tropes:
- Abusive Parents: Michiru and Isara.
- Ambiguous Gender: Hidaka, who alternates wearing the girls' and boys' uniform.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Chisato hits Mifuyu across the face when confronting her and Yuuki about their relationship in the latter's route.
- Bedmate Reveal: Midway through the game, Yuuki wakes up to find Oboro in his futon. In the anime, Chisato likes jumping into Yuuki's bed to wake him up.
- Beta Couple: Yakumo and Kana in Michiru's route.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Morishita, when she's trying to find Kana in the hospital.
- Beware of the Nice Ones: President Mouri spends most of the series as a polite and relatively helpful mentor to the Food Research club(though he makes clear his own motives as well). When he finally comes into conflict with Yuuki, he doesn't hesitate to verbally tear down or subdue him with bodyguards.
- Buxom Is Better: Discussing Satsuki's countless merits in the first episode of the anime eventually devolves to something along the lines of
Character A: "And she's smart!"
Kii and Ai: "And she has huge tits!"
Character B: "And she's diligent!"
Kii and Ai: "She has huge tits!
Character C: "She's hardworking and polite -"
- Canon Foreigner: Ohsawa Yuiko was an original character created for the anime. In the game, the Ohsawa Incident is repeatedly mentioned, but Ohsawa never appears onscreen, and their gender and given name are never revealed.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Chisato—deconstructed, as she has got her reasons.
- Crash-Into Hello: Yuuki meets Isara, Satsuki, and Mouri in this manner (just Isara in the anime). He lampshades it as a romantic comedy trope every time.
- Common Eye Colors
- Continuity Cameo: Ayumu, Matsuri, Mao, and Kimika in the anime adaptation; all four are heroines from "Ima Sugu Onii-chan ni Imouto da tte Iitai!", an upcoming visual novel set in the same universe. Ayumu and Chisato are cousins, and Yuuki knows the four of them through her.
- Cool Big Sis: Satsuki's sister Hadzuki, who is the Food Research Club's staff adviser.
- Custom Uniform: Michiru wears a cardigan instead of the jacket, and Isara just doesn't wear the jacket.
- Dating Catwoman: Satsuki's route.
- Declaration of Protection: In Michiru's route, Yuuki decides this after Michiru is badly triggered and left emotionally unstable and dependent on him.
- Dragged into Drag: When Chisato, Kii, and Ai cosplay Vocaloid characters, Oboro winds up being dressed up as Luka.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Much to their chagrin, Kii and Ai are called the Monkey Duo, punning on their names (Kii as in monkey, Sarue as in saru meaning monkey).
- The Empath: Michiru.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Non-chan suddenly defects to Moheiji's campaign towards the end of the election in her route. She was blackmailed. Everyone except Yume and Isara deserts in Isara's route.
- Everyone Can See It
- Finger-Suck Healing
- First Name Basis: Chisato doesn't like formality and insists on calling everyone by their given name. Michiru has Yuuki call her by her given name instead of "Morishita-san" when they get togther in her route; ditto Satsuki. Yuuki and Isara start using each other's given names without having to prompt each other in Isara's route.
- Fun with Acronyms: The BL club is called FNOS, abbreviated from Fu no Su or "The Yaoi Fangirl Nest".
- Gay Option: Oboro gets some Ship Tease with Yuuki, but no route.
- Girlish Pigtails: Chisato, Isara, and Nozomi.
- Hair Decorations: Kii and Ai have cutesy hairpins, Satsuki has her red-bobbled hair tie, and Isara wears light blue hair ribbons.
- Hammer Space: Mifuyu keeps her notebook PC in her pocket, which Yuuki repeatedly notes should be too small to hold it.
- Happily Adopted: After a fashion. Hadzuki and Satsuki are full-blooded relatives but both believed they were only half-sisters, with Satsuki's mom marrying their father (after being his mistress) after Hadzuki's mom died. We find out that Hadzuki's mom was actually barren and could not have given birth to Hadzuki and when she found out, she didn't want to just see her birth mother as her actual mother as she felt it would invalidate the existence of the mother that raised and loved her.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Hadzuki loves her beer
- Hime Cut: Satsuki.
- Hot for Student: Hadzuki has, in the past, come on to Yuuki and even stolen his Sacred First Kiss. He turns her down because he doesn't want to have to deal with the awkward aspects of dating a teacher.
- Image Song: Each of the heroines has one, which is used as the ending theme to her route.
- Indirect Kiss: In the anime, Yuuki shares one with Michiru over a harmonica, and only realizes after Mifuyu points it out. In the game, Chisato insists on being the one to test out Hadzuki's harmonica once Yuuki's fixed it in order to avoid this, though it flies over Yuuki's head.
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo: The Vocaloid costumes used for the booth cosplay are all slightly altered from the actual costumes that the software mascots wear. Too, Garage and Mieru appear to be selling Bakemonogatari figurines and Hetalia doujinshi respectively, but the actual names of the works are not said (the Bakemonogatari girls are called by the animals possessing them—Crab-chan and Snake-chan—whereas the England x US doujinshi is mentioned by the ship's portmanteau name).
- Legal Jailbait: Nozomi, the former Food Research Club president, who is 17 and looks like a grade-schooler.
- Love at First Sight: Yuuki and Michiru, in the latter's route.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Isara's little brothers Nii and Chii.
- Panty Shot
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Mifuyu in her school uniform.
- Punny Name: Ariake Mieru is a homonym for "seeing every possible opening", as in having a sharp eye for Ship Tease moments. She's the president of the Boys Love club.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Yuuki loves to cook and, as the game's tagline proclaims, wants a fairytale romance.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: In episode 11 of the anime, When, Yuuki tries asking about Mouri's behavior, he taunts Yuuki about his feelings and guilt towards Chisato.
- Replacement Goldfish: In Chisato's route, Yuuki tries to deny his feelings for her as long as possible by telling himself he has to serve as one of these for her dead little brother Daiki. In the anime version, he accuses her of this to her face.
- Second Year Protagonist
- Sensei-chan: Hadzuki
- Serious Business: Politics in this school are so serious that Mouri requires bodyguards. At the beginning of the show, a girl named Kana—who was investigating shady dealings by other student politicians—is run over and put in the hospital.
- Shipper on Deck: Mifuyu and Isara discuss Yuuki and Chisato's relationship progress in Chisato's route; everyone, even Chisato, ships Yuuki and Michiru in Michiru's route.
- Soap Opera Disease: Whatever Mifuyu has, it causes her to faint when stressed, excludes her from taking part in hard physical labor, implied to cause her to miss school often (at one point Chisato asks her whether it's okay for her to skip class because she might get into serious trouble if she misses anymore), and was apparently a lot worse until she had her surgery a few years back. Said surgery took her a year to recover from and left a long vertical scar on the right side of her abdomen. What disease it exactly is, nobody tells and nobody can know.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted for once; when Michiru breaks down in her route, she's handed over to professional care. She still doesn't manage to recover fully until she and Yuuki get a chance to sit down and talk it out, though.
- Those Two Guys: Kii and Ai.
- Twelve-Episode Anime
- Waif-Fu: Michiru.
- What Is This Feeling?: Both Yuuki and Non-chan in the latter's route.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Technically true for all routes, but especially apparent in Non-chan's.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Satsuki is terrified of earthquakes.
- You Never Asked: Hadzuki is the mysterious non-affiliated ASP candidate from seven years ago. She nearly won her campaign, but was forced to drop out of the running due to threats and harassment from adults working in the school's partnered food chain because she was going to dissolve that partnership. It's implied that she only gave in because she was already stressed out from learning about her parentage at the time. Even when the same thing happens to Yuuki in Chisato's route, Hadzuki never volunteers the information.