is a Chinese Rhythm Game
for iOS by RedAtoms, Inc. It's actually very approachable by non-Chinese speakers (although you may find it hard to find the music in the game elsewhere). It's actually the third in a series, but this article will concentrate on the most recent version.
In terms of gameplay, it has four target zones, to which gems will fall and you have to hit as accurately as possible. The average accuracy of the hits is displayed at the end as a percentage and, of course, graded
Songs range in difficulty from 1 to 10 or higher
. Unlike most Rhythm Games
, there is only one difficulty level per song. However, some songs do have separate "EZ"note
Being a mobile-device game, it has social media implements and downloadable extras.
You can reach the iTunes download page here
. For reasons explained above, badly Needs More Love
outside of China.
Tropes in the games include:
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: The only reward for spending real money.
- Boss in Mook Clothing: Those who don't pay attention to the difficulty level 10 will get this from "Honey". What is basically Chinese bubblegum pop turns out to be ludicrously difficult.
- Difficulty Spike: Sometimes happens within the levels.
- Level 6: "Croatian Rhapsody [NM] followed by "Gangnam Style"
- Level 8: "Dragostea Din Tei" followed by "Jingle Bells (Jass Ver.)"
- Level 10: "Sparkling Daydream" followed by "Honey"
- Dummied Out: Retroactively in this case. "Evans" is no longer playable, but remains in the game's code if you already downloaded it.
- Earn Your Fun: Most Level 2 songs are unlocked by becoming level 2 yourself, likewise the level 3 songs and so on Up to Eleven (or, more accurately, 10+)
- Gameplay Grading: From F (less than 50% accuracy, which is probably impossible to do even deliberately) to S (over 99% accuracy).
- Harder Than Hard: On a scale of 1-10, some songs have the difficulty level 10+
- Made of Explodium: All of the gems make a column of pyro matching their colour.
- Microtransactions: Averted in the case of songs, almost uniquely among Rhythm Games (none of the songs have to be paid for) but also played straight (clothes can be bought with diamonds, which cost real money).
- Nintendo Hard: The level 10 and 10+ songs.
- Rank Inflation: The S rank makes an appearance.
- Recurring Element: "Ievan Polkka" and "Beethoven Virus" appeared in some form in both of the game's predecessors.
- Sequel Difficulty Spike: "Ievan Polkka" enters this game as a level 9 track, when it was level 7 previously. "The Dawn" jumping from level 5 to 7.
- Up to Eleven: Or up to 10+, at least. The first 10+ songs (Canon Rock and Can Do) are both unlocked at level 11, perhaps indicating this.