Video Game / Megabyte Punch
""Kicking a robot so hard that it tears through the air at high speed and crashes into the wall, destroying parts of it in the process. Beautiful.""
Summoned by the Heartcore of Ventu village, it is your duty to defend your home and fellow Megacs against other forces that wish to seize the power of the Heartcore for their own ends. As a token of good will, the neighboring Valk Empire
offers a gift to the youngest megac in the village, you. However, the Empire's representative quickly goes rogue upon your arrival, and attempts to hold you hostage...
Megabyte Punch is a side scrolling PC beat-em-up by indie company Reptile Games
. Gameplay combines the part customization and collection of Custom Robo
, with the fighting and control style
of Super Smash Bros.
, delivered with bright, chunky aesthetics. You can explore 6 unique areas, demolishing rogue Megacs for their parts, or engage in a variety of 1-1 fights, where the objective is to knock the opponent off the side of the stage and off-screen for a kill. Also features 4-player split-screen co-op and versus mode.
MB's home page is here
, with a demo available at Kongregate
Provides Examples Of:
- Ace Custom: Megacs have interchangable parts, and have the capacity to produce more. Grand Khotep Skarb sends his minions into Ventu Village in search of a legendary arm piece, setting off Stage 3.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: The "Thrust" attack breaks guard shields and launches enemies. More specifically, it's a pelvic thrust.
- Back Pack Cannon: The "Barrage" piece is a set of shoulder-mounted missile launchers.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: One of the houses in the village is known as the "Did You Know" house, with it's residents giving various gameplay tips.
- Color-Coded Multiplayer: Co-op players are automatically assigned distinct complimentary color sets.
- Co-Op Multiplayer: Allows for 4 player splitscreen co-op or versus gameplay.
- Double Jump: Two jumps by default, with various pieces giving more jumps.
- General Ripper: The "gift" offered by the Empire was a trap set by the power hungry boss of the 2nd stage, General HB-02.
- Green Hill Zone: Level 1: Electro Caves.
- Ground Punch: A variety of pieces grants the ability for a downards slam, including a boombox chestpiece.
- Heel–Face Turn: Leon defects from the Empire after learning of their plan to steal the Heartcore. He teams up with you shortly thereafter to fight off a pair of the Empire's assassins.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Valk Emperor's second super mode sends homing missiles of various sizes all over the stage.
- Mecha Expansion Pack: Several parts are souped up versions of standard parts. General HB-02 returns from "exile" with several wing extensions and a helmet frill.
- Megaton Punch: The titular Megabyte Punch, and Spinkick abilities will send enemies careening off the stage... if it connects.
- Mercy Invincibility: You get a few invincibility frames when you respawn back on stage after being KO'd.
- Meteor Move: Several abilities, as well as basic down tilt type attacks can spike enemies into the bottom screen boundary.
- More Dakka: Zig-zagged. It's possible to equip your Megac with guns in every slot that can hold one (including the head), but you can only fire one at a time due to the game's mechanics.
- Platform Fighter: In Versus and Tournament mode, players are KO'd if they are knocked off the screen.
- Random Drop: Defeated enemies will either drop their parts, or currency bits.
- Recovery Attack: Among them are headbutt-launches, short distance warps, and even mid-air drilling.
- Shifting Sand Land: Level 3, Lost Tech Ruins.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: Level 5, Frostbyte Deep.
- Splash Damage: Various types of explosives will harm both you and your opponent, in addition to punching out terrain.
- Temple of Doom: Level 3.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: The Megabyte Punch arm deals a devastating 25 damage, has strong knockback, and breaks shields, complete with an ominous whirring noise when it connects.
- The Emperor: Valk Emperor. He's been alive an unnatural amount of time, can put up a hell of a fight, in addition to being blind.
- The Empire: Valk Empire.
- Tornado Move
- Super Mode: Valk Emperor transforms in to a larger, dragon-esque form following his first defeat.
- Sword Lines: Parts with the "Slice" ability throws a quick slice in front of your megac.
- Unblockable Attack: The legendary Megabyte Punch's... well... punch, shatters shields.
- Video Game Flight: Shoulder parts in the shape of wings can grant limited flight.
- Wall Jump
- Waddling Head: Many enemies consist of solely a head and two leg parts, with their only attack being a weak headbutt.