Video Game: Xuanyuan Jian
AKA Xuan-Yuan Sword
(Chinese: 軒轅劍, literally "Sword of Yellow Emperor") refers to a series of Chinese role-playing video games for personal computers developed by DOMO
group of Softstar, Inc. based in Taiwan. These games are based on pre-history Chinese mythology, as well as history-based storylines around Qin Dynasty, Sui Dynasty, Tang Dynasty, etc.
In the time beyond record, the "Xuan-Yuan Sword" is created by Huangdi, the Yellow Emperor of ancient China to defend the ancient Chinese against darklord Chi You and his evil empire. After Chi You was killed by the Sword, the five-thousand-year-old history of China began, and the Sword was passed on from Huangdi to heroes alike to continue to defend the nation against evil. Due to its great power, however, ambitious would-be emperors and evil warlords often sought the Sword to further their own end.
There is also the Spirit Fusion Pot, (Lian Yao Hu, 鍊妖壺 in traditional Chinese, or simply the Pot, this rranslation first appeared in the user guide of Xuanyuan Sword 3
) created by the goddess Nüwa to cleanse the world. Living in the Pot is the god Pot Lord, whose specialty is to combine whatever evil thrown into the pot, and transmute them into harmless creatures or items that benefits the world.
In the beginning of the world, the goddess Nüwa created two genres of intelligent life: those of Man, and those of Monster, who warred among each other all the time. The Sword was created by Men in an attempt to end the everlasting war. Led by a single heroic figure, Xuanyuan Jian Xia (軒轅劍俠, Crusader of the Sword, or simply the Crusader) who wielded the Sword, the War Between Men and Monsters ended with both sides suffering heavy casualties. Seventeen years later, the main character, He Ran (何然), a young discipline of Xian Shu (仙術, sorcery) left his mentor, into the aftermath world of China to carve a future of his own.
The first game of the series, Xuanyuan Sword
was also Softstar's first RPG product, released in 1990. The storyline in this game was not based on any certain period of actual history, the culture and people in the game bear a resemblance of what was mid-1500 ancient Chinese. All these materials were presented in a Dragon Quest
-like game rule and interface. Players started the game as a youthful good-for-nothing level 1 character, in a poor village that offered little else than most basic equipments. The wilderness was filled with monsters that players must kill to gain experience levels, thus enable them to proceed to other areas, and thus proceed the plot.
The game featured standard VGA 16-colored 640x480 screen, complete with party-members, round-based combat, full-screen sprite animation, various monsters, Chinese-styled Ad Lb
music, sound effects, animated spell effects, as well as full Chinese interface, which was a great hit in Taiwan's computer game market at that period.
Released on 13 October 1990.Xuanyuan Jian: Tian zhi Hen
(軒轅劍之天之痕, lit. Xuan-Yuan Sword: Scar of Sky) is a 2012 Chinese TV series adapted from the game Xuanyuan Jian 3 Waizhuan: Tian zhi Hen
The series consists of the following games:
- Xuanyuan Jian (軒轅劍) (1990, DOS)
- Xuanyuan Jian 2 (軒轅劍貳) (1994, DOS, iOS)
- Xuanyuan Jian 3: Yun he Shan de Bi Duan (軒轅劍參：雲和山的彼端) (1999, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian 4: Hei Long Wu xi Yun Fei Yang (軒轅劍肆：黑龍舞兮雲飛揚) (2002, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian 5: Yi Jian Ling Yun Shan Hai Qing (軒轅劍伍：一劍凌雲山海情) (2006, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian 6: Feng Ling Chang Kong Qian Zai Yun (軒轅劍陸：鳳凌長空千載雲) (2013, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian 7 Online (軒轅劍七Online) (TBA, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Feng zhi Wu (軒轅劍外傳：楓之舞) (1995, DOS, iOS)
- Xuanyuan Jian 3 Waizhuan: Tian zhi Hen (軒轅劍參外傳：天之痕) (2001, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Cang zhi Tao (軒轅劍外傳：蒼之濤) (2004, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Han zhi Yun (軒轅劍外傳：漢之雲) (2007, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Yun zhi Yao (軒轅劍外傳：雲之遙) (2010, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan Online (軒轅劍外傳Online) (2012, Windows)
Needs Wiki Magic Love
- Xuanyuan Fu Mo Lu (軒轅伏魔錄) (2001, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Online (軒轅劍網路版) (2002, Windows)
- Dream Of Mirror Online (飛天歷險：軒轅劍網路版2代) (2005, Windows)
- Tian zhi Hen: Xuanyuan Jian Online (天之痕：軒轅劍網路版) (2010, Windows)
- Flying PuPu (飛天噗噗) (2011, iOS)
- Battle Legends (伏魔傳奇) (2012, iOS)
This Video Game contains examples of:
- Forever War: The war between Man and Monster certainly has this sense.
- The Hero: He Ran.
- Video Game Long Runners: Definitely, because the main series has at least six games and the franchise spans at least 10 years.