The series consists of the following games:
- Xuanyuan Jian (軒轅劍) (1990, DOS)
- Xuanyuan Jian 2 (軒轅劍貳) (1994, DOS, iOS)
- Xuanyuan Jian 3: Yun he Shan de Bi Duan (軒轅劍參：雲和山的彼端) (1999, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian 4: Hei Long Wu xi Yun Fei Yang (軒轅劍肆：黑龍舞兮雲飛揚) (2002, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian 5: Yi Jian Ling Yun Shan Hai Qing (軒轅劍伍：一劍凌雲山海情) (2006, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian 6: Feng Ling Chang Kong Qian Zai Yun (軒轅劍陸：鳳凌長空千載雲) (2013, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian 7 Online (軒轅劍七Online) (TBA, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Feng zhi Wu (軒轅劍外傳：楓之舞) (1995, DOS, iOS)
- Xuanyuan Jian 3 Waizhuan: Tian zhi Hen (軒轅劍參外傳：天之痕) (2001, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Cang zhi Tao (軒轅劍外傳：蒼之濤) (2004, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Han zhi Yun (軒轅劍外傳：漢之雲) (2007, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Yun zhi Yao (軒轅劍外傳：雲之遙) (2010, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan Online (軒轅劍外傳Online) (2012, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Fu Mo Lu (軒轅伏魔錄) (2001, Windows)
- Xuanyuan Jian Online (軒轅劍網路版) (2002, Windows)
- Dream Of Mirror Online (飛天歷險：軒轅劍網路版2代) (2005, Windows)
- Tian zhi Hen: Xuanyuan Jian Online (天之痕：軒轅劍網路版) (2010, Windows)
- Flying PuPu (飛天噗噗) (2011, iOS)
- Battle Legends (伏魔傳奇) (2012, iOS)
This Franchise contains examples of:
- Spin-Off: The franchise has generated a great deal of spin-off media and events, such as music concerts, mobile games, MM Os, novels, comics, fanart, and a TV show, Xuanyuan Jian: Tian zhi Hen (軒轅劍之天之痕, lit. Xuan-Yuan Sword: Scar of Sky), a 2012 Chinese TV series adapted from the game Xuanyuan Jian 3 Waizhuan: Tian zhi Hen.
- Video Game Long-Runners: Definitely, because the main series has at least six games, with multitudes of spinoff games, and the franchise has spanned over 25 years.
- Autosave： Featured in the newer installments of the series.
- Cel Shading: Dream of Mirror Online, or Xuan Yuan Sword Online 2, utilizes this to great effect.
- Cut-and-Paste Environments: Several generic environments from Xuan Yuan Sword 3 were reused in its legend title, Scar of the Sky.
- Elaborate Equals Effective: Typically, the better looking the equipment is, the more powerful its stats are.
- Evolutionary Retcon: And how!
- Faux First-Person 3D: Featured in the first three games.
- Fixed Camera: A point of controversy in the three games of generation 5, where there were usually no environments to render outside of the camera frame.
- Going Through the Motions: A staple from generation 4 (the first 3D generation) onwards.
- Isometric Projection: Experimented with in Xuan Yuan Fu Mo Lu, a spinoff tactical-RPG.
- Loading Screen: Present in the series during environment transitions.
- Multi-Platform: Xuan Yuan Sword 3 Legend: Scar of the Sky, has been ported on to mobile platforms, including iOS and Android .
- Real Time with Pause: Gate of Heaven features the Cross Dynamic Time Battle system, in which the players can use a pause function and yet still issue commands to the currently selected character, while actions initiated before the pause resolve.
- Respawn Point: Averted. Being defeated in battles that are not Hopeless Boss Fights takes the player back to the starting menu screen.