is a Bullet Hell
game developed by Japanese freeware programmer Hikoza T. Ohkubo available for download here
. In the game, you play as the pilot of a starfighter tasked with defeating an endless series of enemy bosses. The game is notable in that the enemies actively adapt to your tactics
; if you've been focusing on destroying one particular segment, expect that segment to be reinforced. Likewise, if a certain weapon kills you, expect more of that weapon in the next form.
It also inspired the real-time tactical game Battleships Forever
, the Boss Game Fraxy
and the Xbox Live Indie Games title Infinity Danger
This game provides examples of:
- Adaptive Ability
- Attack Its Weak Point: You can actually just attack the middle section of the boss until it blows up, instantly defeating it. However, destroying its parts also damages the boss, making it easier to beat. Likewise, the same occurs when destroying an entire "arm".
- Of course, given the nature of the game, if you cut straight to the weak point too many times the boss gets wise and gives that section more and more health.
- Beam Spam
- Boss Game
- Boss Subtitles - Of course!(If you want the subtitles in English, you'll need version 1.07)
- Boss Warning Siren: The game does this despite being a Boss Only Game, also giving you its name and a brief chart on its weaponry.
- Bullet Hell
- Cognizant Limbs - The different sections of the bosses are all individually destructible.
- Collision Damage: Oh yes. Gets real bad when the boss evolves into something HUGE.
- Death In All Directions - Including:
- Deflector Shields: in higher evolutions the boss can surround segments in a glowing field that makes the segment indestructible (although this may also may be a kind of power armor rather than a shield).
- Dynamic Difficulty
- Endless Game: In theory, anyway. Eventually the enemy ship will get so big you'll die multiple times just from having it come on screen, let alone fire, which is basically game over.
- Evolving Weapon: The boss' weapons level up over time, even faster if it managed to beat you with that weapon.
- Cannon: Adds more shots to the spread.
- Laser: Laser is fired more often.
- Pod: Missiles home in on you for a longer period of time.
- Smash: Adds more shots to the attack.
- Needle and Vulcan: Adds more shots to the attack.
- Frickin' Laser Beams
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast - The early ships have simple names like "The Wider" or "The Attacker", but as it evolves, you end up with "The Berserker", "The Armageddon", or the "Giga-Beamed Hammerhead Hell"
- Painfully Slow Projectile - But as the game goes on, there's an awful lot of 'em.
- Ramming Always Works - The bosses try this quite a lot, especially if the forward weapons are destroyed. When some of the later bosses fill most of the screen, it can be impossible to avoid.
- Shoot 'em Up
- Spread Shot: Bosses have a regular variety (Cannon), while your ship has an aim-able Spray Burst.
- Subsystem Damage: Bosses are made up of multiple parts. If the link between a group of parts and the central core is cut, all parts that are no longer linked are destroyed.
- Timed Mission - One mode of gameplay gives you a timer to beat. If you destroy the boss fast enough, you can gain time for the next level.
- Up to Eleven- Just how outrageous can the ships get? No, more than that.
- Video Game Lives - Another mode of gameplay gives you three lives, with the opportunity to gain more as you destroy parts.