Video Game: Warhammer 40000 Eternal Crusade
A massively multiplayer online game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe currently under development by Behavior Interactive, for projected release in 2015. Players will take on the role of Orks, Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, or Eldar in a section of the galaxy not previously explored in detail by Games Workshop and fight over planets using a third-person combat system based on that of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.
This game provides examples of the following:
- Action Girl: Jain Zar, Howling Banshees and other classes of Eldar that the player can choose be play as a female.
- Continuity Nod: During the intro monologues of the website, the Space Marine is heard saying "We go where we wilt. We slay who we wilt. Let the Emperor judge the righteousness of our deeds". This is an actual quote from the 5th Edition of Codex: Space Marines.
- Controllable Helplessness: From what we've seen, both types of Space Marines can crawl around after "death" Gears of War style. Friendly players can help them up, enemy players can coup de grace instead, and the wounded player can choose to bleed out faster and get right back to the respawn cycle.
- Freemium: Anyone who buys the full game has access to all premium content, but whoever stays with the free-to-play version will be limited to Ork Boyz only, and progression will be much slower. You can also opt to only buy the faction(s) you want to play instead of the whole game.
- Finishing Move: Players can choose to do this to wounded enemy players. Although they will leave themselves up to attacks from other enemy players.
- Hero Unit: Each faction will have multiple Elite and Hero units that can be played on the battlefield (but they come with a cooldown, and need to be "bought" with Requisition each time you want to play one). Some confirmed special units are:
- Space Marines have the Legion of the Damned Legionnaire and the Master of Relics.
- Chaos Space Marines have the Fallen Captain and the Possessed Marine.
- Eldar have the Outcast Ranger and the Autarch.
- Orks have the Cybork Mekboy and the Skarboy Kommando.
- Horde of Alien Locusts: The Tyranids will appear as an NPC faction hostile to everyone. They will attack in greater numbers on a faction with the most territory.
- In the Hood: Several characters wear these: Veteran Dark Angels, the Fallen Captain and the Outcast Ranger.
- Mêlée à Trois: The four races will all be fighting each other, and alliance choices will be very limited.
- Mythology Gag: This video's opening is clearly based on the opening cinematic from Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.
- Poisoned Weapons: The Apothecary's narthecium can inject a slow acting poison to enemy/friendly players.
- Spiritual Successor: To Dark Millennium Online (which has yet to be confirmed if it's simply in Development Hell or scrapped for good).
- Gameplay-wise, it appears very similar to Space Marine.
- The Leader: Each faction has a faction leader for the games narrative
- Abaddon the Despoiler for Chaos
- Jain Zar for Eldar
- Skarblitz for Orks
- The Smurfette Principle: Jain Zar is the only female faction leader as of launch. According to the developers, they chose Jain Zar due to her being be the Phoenix Lord who most often leads the Eldar to war.