Also known as 2Spicy
, Too Spicy
is a Light Gun Game
made by Sega
that is notable for also having characteristics of a Third Person Shooter.
In it, the player controls one of six Terminator-esque humanoid robots (Laurence, Ming-Hua, Charlie, Alexander, SICKS and Tetsuya) in either a one or two player versus duel mode or a story mode.
The game differs from other light gun shooters in that it not only provides versus multiplayer, but is controlled from a third-person perspective that allows you to control your characters' movements on a 2D plane with foot pedals.
The gameplay usually consists of duels between two characters, constantly shifting between cover objects in order to gain the upper hand. The game also has a remarkably long play-time for an arcade game, with the versus mode easily taking around 30 to 50 minutes to complete on $2.00, and the story mode (which is unique for each character) taking even longer for the same amount of money.
The game also features heavy use of Hong Kong action movie-style effects and locales, and each of its characters represent action movie or game archetypes.
- Anime Hair: Tetsuya provides a mild example with his bleached hairstyle, but the giant, over-the-top thing on Charlie's head is a definite contender.
- Ambiguously Gay: Charlie is a personification of this trope.
- Bottomless Magazines: Averted, each character's weapons have unique magazine sizes, and they are forced to reload each time they run out.
- Boom, Headshot: Every character can zoom into a target by keeping their croshair on them for long enough, and when zoomed in, the shooter can deliver a crippling Boom Headshot (complete with giant yellow text and sound effect) that rips off much of the opponent's face and knocks them down (but not always out).
- The Dragon: SICKS plays this role to Shadow in the story mode, and one of your copies plays this role in VS. mode.
- Dueltothe Death: All of the gameplay besides bonus missions consists of this.
- Expy: Shadow may be an example, as he dresses entirely in black, has a burst-fire handgun, and has a similar hairstyle and voice to a certain angsty hedgehog with the same name, who is also from a SEGA game.
- Firing One-Handed: Tetsuya, Charlie and SICKS all follow this school of thought.
- Fragile Speedster: Charlie
- Guns Akimbo: Ming-Hua does this with her dual Beretta 900s pistols.
- Glowing Eyesof Doom: Every character does this before a fight, and if they win, immediately after. It seems that they can activate their Glowing Eyes of Doom by will.
- Hand Cannon: SICK's Raging Bull magnum revolver is an example.
- Invisibility Cloak: SICKS can become invisible whenever moving between cover objects. The game camera also assists him with this, as it doesn't follow him until he re-appears. The stage that you fight him on (a subway station), also assists him with constantly moving, stage-obscuring trains.
- Jack of All Stats: Tetsuya
- Leap and Fire: Any player can do this by double-tapping the foot pedal.
- Mighty Glacier: Lawrence
- Mirror Match: The second-last character in VS. mode is a pallete swapped mirror of the character you are playing as. This encounter is actually harder than the final boss, as a great deal of gameplay is based off each characters unique attributes, and thus fighting against your character is understandably a contender for That One Boss.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Every character in the game.
- Standard FPS Guns: Played straight, with a handgun, dual pistols, revolver, shotgun, SMG, burst-fire pistol, grenade launcher and scoped pistol which acts like a sniper rifle. However, each weapon has its own strengths and balances each other out, and the game also uses a remarkable amount of handguns -5 out of 8 weapons.
- X Meets Y: Basically, it's a Light Gun Game combined with a Fighting Game.