"Kill your enemy by any means!"The Outfoxies
is an arcade video game that came out in 1994 made by Namco.
It stars 7 hitmen who have been hired by a mysterious client known as Mr. Acme to kill 7 art collectors. Unknown to the other 7 characters, Mr. Acme decides to have them fight each other to the death.
- John Smith is a man willing to do anything for money, ranging from babysitting to starting a revolution.
- Betty Doe is an enterpreneur who needs captial for her various businesses, and is also a contract killer.
- Bernard White is a bio-engineer who has a metallic right hand after losing his real one in an accident.note
- Eve is a former actress who became a thief and has a pet iguana who helps her in her thefts.
- Professor Ching, despite being in a wheelchair, has it armed with gadgets and is a Chinese martial arts master.
- Dweeb is a chimpanzee who's paid in bananas and is the kidnapped son of chimp star Mr. Happy.
- Danny and Demi are former Conjoined Twins that were separated after a near-fatal train crash. They have separate bodies but share a killer instinct.note
While not very well known at the time of its release, it's notable for its unique style of gameplay, which basically plays a lot like Rolling Thunder
if you turned it into a Fighting Game
of sorts. The areas consist of big arenas which are basically destructible environments. Not only that, there's a variety of weapons for each of the characters to use in the levels, as well as using the environment to their advantage to kill their enemies. It's basically seen by many as a Spiritual Predecessor
to the Super Smash Bros.
I will pay you 1,000,000 Swiss Francs to edit and add these tropes:
- The Ace: John Smith.
- Angry Guard Dog: Encountered at Mr. Acme's mansion.
- Bottomless Pit Rescue Service: On Dweeb's plane stage, a helicopter will rescue you and drop you back on the level at the cost of some health. The handcar on Bernard's train stage works the same way.
- Bottomless Magazines: The rocket launcher you need to blow up Mr. Acme's helicopter has unlimited ammo.
- Cherry Tapping: It's possible to kill a nearly defeated opponent on one level with a fruit basket or a bowl of hot soup.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: On later stages, the opponent's attacks do more damage than yours.
- Contract on the Hitman: Each of the seven assassins has a contract to kill one of the other six. Since there's no way to tell who has your contract, you're out to kill all of them, just to make sure.
- Crate Expectations: Crates can house weapons, and can be thrown on top of your enemy's head, disorienting them for a moment.
- Creepy Twins: Danny and Demi, full stop. One of their ending photos has them setting a mascot on fire at an amusement park.
- Critical Existence Failure
- Do Not Drop Your Weapon: Averted. Getting hit even once causes you to lose whatever weapon you had at the time.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Dweeb.
- Evil Laugh: Mr. Acme if you die on the last level.
- Executive Suite Fight: Subverted. While you encounter Mr. and Mrs. Acme in their office, they try to kill you and escape, and you end up chasing them to a Rooftop Confrontation instead for the final battle.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Danny and Demi's running attack has one of the twins swing the other around as an attack.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: John Smith has one on his right eye.
- Handicapped Badass: Professor Ching, who has a wheelchair armed with gadgets and is a karate master.
- High-Altitude Battle: Dweeb's stage takes place on a military place.
- Improvised Weapon: Barrels, fruit baskets, Human Cannonballs, hot soup...
- Inconveniently Placed Conveyor Belt: Found all over in place in Prof. Ching's weapons factory stage.
- Informed Ability: Double Subverted. Bernard's metallic right hand gives him super strength, and it's proven when he holds any throw-able crate or barrel with his just his metallic hand. However, melee attacks aren't very powerful in this game.
- Interesting Situation Duel: All of the levels are like this. Stages include a moving train, a boat on a stormy ocean, and a plane in mid-flight. Two other stages (an aquarium and a skyscraper) are relatively normal... until bombs start going off, altering your surroundings.
- Infant Immortality: Averted.
- Level in Boss Clothing: Mr. Acme's mansion. You chase him throughout the level, getting through the traps as best as you possibly can, and after encountering him and his wife, you chase them down to the basement and have to throw back a grenade they toss at you to knock them down. They'll retreat to the elevator, where you give chase, and must blast their helicopter out of the sky to defeat them.
- The Man Behind the Man: Mr. Acme's wife was calling the shots the whole time.
- Multiple Life Bars: Your character has three, going from green, to yellow, to red.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Hand to Hand combat does awful damage, regardless of the character. You need to find weapons like guns or swords to do any real damage.
- Score Screen: After each stage, your score is tallied. Each score screen is predicated by the winner doing something to the television showing an image of their opponent:
- John Smith slaps a "DONE!" sticker on the TV.
- Betty Doe turns off the TV.
- Bernard White punches in the TV.
- Eve shoots the TV.
- Danny and Demi scribble with crayon on the TV.
- Prof. Ching types "DISPOSED" on the TV.
- Dweeb changes the channel to cartoons.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Many of the environments are destructible, and this also happens to Professor Ching's wheelchair if he dies.
- Theres No Kill Like Overkill: How Mr. Acme and his wife are defeated. After blowing their helicopter out of the sky with a rocket launcher, Mr. Acme falls to the ground, then his wife falls on top of him, and then the helicopter crashes on them both.
- Throw Away Guns: Everywhere. Helps that they're all over the place and show up as weapon drops.
- Whip It Good: One of the weapons you can find. Also, Demi pulls out a whip if you select her and her brother.
- A Woman And Her Igauna: Eve and her pet lizard.
- Woman in White: Betty Doe.
Proceed with caution!