A 1995 game by Sega
for the Sega Genesis
in which the player assumes the role of a scientist named Dr. Daniel Caine
. After he discovers a plot by his employers to release a deadly plague onto the world and make millions of dollars from the antidote
, they capture him. They inject toxic waste directly into his veins, causing him to dissolve into a green ooze which sinks down the drain. He wakes up as a sentient puddle of glowing green ooze with a human head in the middle and an extendable arm. Understandably angry, Dr. Caine seeks revenge against his employers and plans to stop them before they release the plague.
This game contains examples of:
- And I Must Scream: The game over screen has you trapped forever inside a lava lamp. Considering that you're a sentient puddle and can not die through natural causes... The bad ending also has shades of this, with you unable to turn back into a human.
- Asshole Victim: Most of the enemies in the game, who are working for that monstrous boss behind this insidious plan!
- Blob Monster: Only this time, the blob monster is the good guy. There is also another blob monster during the fight with the Directorate.
- Body Horror: Caine himself, as well as some of the monsters he fights.
- Cast From HP: Your projectile attack uses up a small piece of your body with each shot.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: The Directorate. He and his thugs want nothing more than to see you dead.
- Energy Being: The fourth boss in the level Power Core is a living being of electrical energy that can shoot out balls of lightning. You'll need to destroy the generators to weaken it, and believe you me, it's not going to be easy.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: The enemies in the Genetics Lab.
- Killer Rabbit: There are ten secret areas in which you have to kill a bunch of experimental rabbits. You have to finish them in a certain amount of time, otherwise, you won't be able to get the DNA helix in these levels.
- Malevolent Masked Men: The Directorate's goons wear Hazmat suits and helmets.
- Multiple Endings: Although they're not that much different from each other.
- Mutants: You'll encounter many of these throughout the game.
- Name of Cain: The name of the protagonist is, well, Daniel Caine.
- Nintendo Hard: Despite being a Sega game, this game is near impossible to just beat, let alone get the good ending. In order to obtain the good ending, you have to obtain all 50 DNA helices.
- Obstacle Exposition: There are a number of obstacles throughout the game. Poles that can help you get around hazards, security switches that open doors, defense mechanisms, and so much more.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: If anything hits your head even once, you're donezos.
- Polluted Wasteland: The first two levels, Toxic Dump and Waste Plant, are areas surrounded by pools of hazardous waste.
- Secret Level: There are secret areas hidden within the game. It may take you some time to memorize their locations and how to get to them, but once you do, it shouldn't be too difficult.
- Toxic, Inc.: The Plague Factory. The stronghold of Dr. Caine's former colleagues.
- Vacuum Mouth: Some of the machines you encounter can suck you up if they run over you.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Your body disperses easily, and you can die by being sucked into drains or rolling downhill into a body of liquid.