Video Game / The Last Night
The Last Night
is a short Cyber Punk
2D side-scrolling web game that won the 2014 Cyberpunk Jam.
It is playable here
Starting out 20 Minutes into the Future
, the player arrives at at a train station in what appears to be Paris. His contact informs him of his target who will be at a local nightclub. From there the player treks across part of the city, shooting down some police drones in the way, in order to finally reach the entrance to the nightclub. There, he finds the target, kills his bodyguard, and shoots the man who then stumbles out of a window onto a balcony overlooking the city. The player follows him out there and shoots them a final time, sending the target plunging to their death. Then, the hitman lights a cigarette as the credits roll.
This game provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: We are never told of the player character's occupation, but they appear to be a hitman of some sort. It could also be that they are seeking revenge on the target for an unspecified reason.
- City Noir / The Future Is Noir
- Cyber Punk: It's set in a dark, noir-like city (implied to be Paris) some point in the near future and revolves around an Anti-Hero trying to kill his target.
- Cyber Punk Is Techno: The soundtrack reflects this.
- Designated Villain: The target. We have no clue what they have done to get on the player's bad side (alternatively, they could just be a target for a hitman), but the game revolves around tracking them down and killing them. It's implied that the target is a rather shady figure, as he's seen with an armed bodyguard who points his weapon at any who come near and is lounging with two women who may or may not be prostitutes.
- Disney Villain Death: The target, after being shot twice.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: It's not specified when the game is set, but juding by the amount of drones, the cityscape, and the level of technology, this is probably set in the 2040s/2050s or any time after that.