The Game of the Ages is an Adventure Game
based on "The Duel of the Ages," a parody novella that was based in turn on two poorly selling fantasy series by Sam Stoddard and Dave Parker.
Your hometown, the Village of Boredom, is plagued by a race called the Shadows. To defeat them, you must explore other worlds, become a wizard and conquer an army or two along the way.
The game includes a much-hyped "secret area" that offers no particular clues as to its location. It's playable online
The Game of the Ages provides examples of:
- Alien Geometries: Yeah, there's a fourth spatial dimension. Don't think too much about it.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us:The entire Varyne army comes down on your base. You better have learned your way around the walls and defenses while you had the chance.
- Bag of Holding: Gastald's sack. Unusually, you discover this by walking into a nearby cave and finding yourself transformed to a few inches high and in the sack.
- Beauty to Beast: The curse on one race that you save.
- Broken Bridge - Any particular reason you can't trek across the desert before dealing with that ring? Just one.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: That's how you learn invisibility and levitation.
- Curse: Two of the biggest subplots.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Besides the Village Idiot of Stupidity, enjoy your Magic Armor of Magic.
- Doomed Hometown: That sets off the adventure.
- Do You Want to Haggle?: Early on, to get your first armor. Later, with Marion, this time with you as the seller.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Yeah, I just broke a curse and saved dozens of people from your town. Now I have to devise a plan to steal a hammer from a stable?
- Gold Silver Copper Standard: In the three different towns. Unfortunately, you can't covert between them.
- Great Escape: One middle segment locks you in a prison. Your escape combines lock picking, stealth and hostage-taking.
- Home Sweet Home: Oh, don't think you're going to forget your hometown just because you're a hero everywhere else.
- Magic Feather: Turns out those focus stones don't have any power.
- Mr. Exposition: Thanks Sage, for explaining everything.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Meet Blood Drops.
- Portal Pool: Three of them.
- The Ditz: The Village Idiot of Stupidity, who thinks a pick in the corner of the room keeps the roof from falling down.
- Soapbox Square: The man there lectures against littering. When you chuck a piece of trash on the ground, it enrages him - letting you take off with the soapbox.
- Teleporter Accident: If you don't have your armor on.
- Vendor Trash: Even the vendor doesn't seem to excited about your decomposed life vest. But if you're persistent enough...