The Feeble Files
is a 1997 cartoony adventure game from Adventure Soft, creators of Simon the Sorcerer
. Its half-serious, half-comical plot serves as a rich source of references and shout-outs to Blake's 7
, Star Wars
and many more.
The player's character is Feeble, an alien whose job is to make crop circles on Earth. He is fanatically loyal to the Obviously Evil
totalitarian system of Omni Corporation, led by the central entity Omni Brain. However, one day, Feeble commits a terrible mistake, which puts him on the way to learn the truth about his society. Alongside fellow rebel Delores and robot SAM, he marches forward, liberating the galaxy.
The Feeble Files provides examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Delores, though she doesn't really do much, except of one shooting sequence, where she is assisted by the player.
- Ancient Astronauts: Interesting case where aliens (in this case Feeble's brother Filbert) are playing gods to other (primitive) aliens.
- Cliché Storm / Troperiffic
- Shout-Out: Just as with Simon the Sorcerer, the game world is built on them, sometimes on multiple ones. For example, Company's penal colony is named Cygnus Alpha and it looks roughly like an Imperial Star Destroyer.
- Vengeful Vending Machine: Used as part of a puzzle. Feeble tries to buy an item from a vending machine, which takes his money and refuses to dispense. Do this three times and he'll kick the vending machine in frustration, then feel guilty about it, which opens access to the confession booth area.