Tess is a surreal run-and-gun 2D platformer game that was entered into the 2014 Indie Game Maker Contest. It follows the story of Tess, an odd little girl who had a bad day.An English version can be downloaded from here. The creator's tumblr can be found here.
Tess contains examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The names of a few characters are not mentioned in-game. Tess' sister is named Sis, the green shirt-wearing boy is named Thomas, and the blue-suited man is named Mors. From this Tumblr post by the creator.
- Anti-Villain: The final boss is an angel that wants to take Tess and Milly to the afterlife. Tess, however, is having none of that.
- Back from the Dead: Tess, and maybe Milly too, at the end of the game.
- Badass Adorable: Tess is a cute little girl who wears a green sweater that is far too big for her. She carries a gun in her pocket, can easily cut down foes while carrying someone, and manages to take down an angel by the end of the game.
- Big Sleep: Milly is in one for the major duration of the game.
- The Ditz: Milly seems to qualify as one, going by her suggestion that she and Tess go down into the dangerous valley they were specifically told not to go to.
- Driven to Suicide: Milly wanting to jump down into the valley, while knowing she was very high up and could be injured, can be interpreted as this. And the fact that, according to Mors, she accepted death, unlike Tess.
- Noodle Incident: What exactly happened the day before is given no explanation.
- One-Hit Kill: The boss' pipes will do this to you if you get trapped under them.
- Please Wake Up: Tess with Milly, after finding her collapsed in the snow.
- Verbal Tic: All characters make a noise when talked to. For example, Tess makes a sighing sound.
- White Mask of Doom: Inverted. All of the characters in the game wear them, and most of them are quite benevolent.