is a 1982 arcade game based on Disney
's film of the same name
that was developed by Bally/Midway
. It consists of four different games that must be played in any order to complete each level: Tanks, Light Cycles, I/O Tower, and MCP. One of the machine's interesting features is a glowing blue joystick which is used along with a spinner controller in playing the game, to make the player feel like he's entering the awesome world of the movie. It also features digital recreations of some of Wendy Carlos' music from the movie's soundtrack.
It appears in TRON 2.0
and TRON: Legacy
as part of their stories' Recursive Canon
It is currently available through Xbox LIVE Arcade
by Disney Interactive Studios
This game provides examples of
- Ascended Extra: The Grid Bugs from the movie appear in this game as one of your main enemies.
- Auto-Scrolling Level: The MCP mission.
- Breaking Out: The MCP mission is Breakout without the ball and paddle and done as a Shoot 'em Up. Interestingly, the mission of the game is to break into the MCP rather than break out.
- Deadly Disc: Tron uses his disc in two of the four games: I/O Tower and MCP.
- Endless Game: The games repeat themselves until you lose all your lives.
- Explosive Breeder: The Grid Bugs in the I/O Tower mission constantly breed as you try to fight your way through them to enter the Tower before the timer runs out.
- The Golden Age of Video Games: One of the era's examples.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: In the movie's light cycles sequence, Tron's bike is yellow and the MCP warriors' bikes are blue. In this game's Light Cycles mission, Tron's bike is blue and the MCP warriors' bikes are yellow.
- Maze Game: Tanks and Light Cycles.
- Minigame Game: Four games in one.
- Random Teleportation: The pink diamond in the center of the maze in the Tanks mission teleports you to a random location.
- Ring Menu: The game select screen consists of this, where you move Tron's disc into the pie section of the game you want to play. When the game is completed, the pie section is blacked out and the game cannot be replayed until all the games are completed. It should be noted that the games switch places on the ring menu with each new level you start, neither is it consistent from game to game.
- Scoring Points: You earn points in each of the four games by destroying your enemies and accomplishing objectives.
- Shoot 'em Up: Tanks, I/O Tower, and MCP.
- Tank Goodness: The Tanks mission.
- Timed Mission: The I/O Tower.
- The Walls Are Closing In: In the MCP mission, you must shoot your way through the blocks that descend toward you or you'll be derezzed.