Super Time Force
is a pixel-style action game by Capybara Games. The gameplay is reminiscent of run-and-gun games like Contra
, but with the added ability of time travel. When you die or choose to "time out", you can rewind time back to any previous moment, at which point you can select another character and play from there, while your previous copies still perform their actions. This leads to situations where you rewind multiple times to add additional firepower or obtain normally out-of-reach items, among other things.
The story begins in Philadelphia, during the year 1987. A man named Doctor Repeatski invents time travel, and immediately
the world is overrun by robots. However, Repeatski's future self, now known as Commander
Repeatski, comes back with the Super Time Force to save the day, and the days of other time periods.
The game was released on May 14, 2014 for the Xbox 360
and Xbox One
Super Time Force provides examples of:
- 1-Up: Glorbs give you one extra time rewind upon pickup.
- Awesome McCoolname: Several members of the force, like Aimy McKillin and Jef Leppard.
- Charged Attack: Each character has one, which does different things like shooting a rapid-fire Spread Shot or piercing laser.
- Chest of Medals: Commander Repeatski's chest is entirely covered in medals.
- Eyepatch of Power: Parodied with Commander Repeatski, who as two eyepatches, covering both eyes.
- Fun with Acronyms: The team is known as the Super Temporal Infinite Manipulation Expert Force.
- Meaningful Name:
- Repeatski invented time travel, and uses it a lot.
- Aimy McKillin is the team's sniper.
- Shieldy Blockerson can use his shield to block shots and can also throw down defensive barriers.
- My Own Grampa: One of the consequences stated in the opening scroll is "accidentally dating your mother".
- One-Hit Polykill: Aimy's charged attack fires a laser that pierces walls and enemies.
- Rainbow Speak: Every instance of "time" and "travel" is colored red, and "super" is colored blue. Even in mundane sentences.
- Rule of Cool: Repeatski's motivation for going to 1,000,000 BC is to save the dinosaurs from extinction, because dinosaurs are awesome.
- Score Screen: When you complete a level, a window pops up showing how long you took to complete it, and how many collectibles you picked up.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: The Super Time Force's mission is to jump through time, correct history's dumb mistakes, and kill stuff that never should have happened.
- Shield Bash: This is Shieldy's basic attack.
- Spread Shot: Jean's charged attack shoots a rapid-fire version of this.
- Time Travel: The game's plot, and the main mechanic.
- Timed Mission: Every level is timed. Usually, it starts at 60 seconds, but there are pickups that extend the limit.
- Video Game Lives: The time rewinds work like this. You start each level with 30, and lose one each time you die, run out of time, or voluntarily time-out.
- Worth It: The "Risk" stated in the opening scroll.
- Year X: Two time periods you visit are 198X and 199X.