Video Game: Super Time Force
Super Time Force
is a pixel-style action game by Capybara Games. The gameplay is reminiscent of run-and-gun games like Contra
, but with the added ability of time travel. When you die or choose to "time out", you can rewind time back to any previous moment, at which point you can select another character and play from there, while your previous copies still perform their actions. This leads to situations where you rewind multiple times to add additional firepower or obtain normally out-of-reach items, among other things.
The story begins in Philadelphia, during the year 1987. A man named Doctor Repeatski invents time travel, and immediately
the world is overrun by robots. However, Repeatski's future self, now known as Commander
Repeatski, comes back with the Super Time Force to save the day, and the days of other time periods.
The game was released on May 14, 2014 for the Xbox 360
and Xbox One
, and on August 25, 2014 for Steam
Needs more Wiki Magic
Super Time Force provides examples of:
- Awesome McCoolname: Several members of the force, like Aimy McKillin and Jef Leppard.
- Charged Attack: Each character has one, which does different things like shooting a rapid-fire Spread Shot or piercing laser.
- Chest of Medals: Commander Repeatski's chest is entirely covered in medals.
- Drunk with Power: Commander Repeatski. he saves dinosaurs from extinction, steal holy grail, and destroy heaven just because he can.
- Eyepatch of Power: Parodied with Commander Repeatski, who has two eyepatches, covering both eyes.
- Fun with Acronyms:
- The team is known as the Super Temporal Infinite Manipulation Expert Force.
- The Steam release adds Ultra to the title, making the game's acronym STFU.
- Guest Fighter:
- The Steam edition, Super Time Force Ultra, includes Zoey from Left 4 Dead, and the Pyro and Saxton Hale from Team Fortress 2 as playable characters.
- The PS4 and Vita versions of STFU include Sony president Shuhei Yoshida, who attacks using a cell phone that shoots emoticons and Twitter messages.
- Meaningful Name:
- Repeatski invented time travel, and uses it a lot.
- Aimy McKillin is the team's sniper.
- Shieldy Blockerson can use his shield to block shots and can also throw down defensive barriers.
- Dolphin Lundgren is a dolphin.
- My Own Grampa: One of the consequences stated in the opening scroll is "accidentally dating your mother".
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Every playable character can only take one hit before dying, unless they save a comrade and absorb his temporal escence, then they can take one extra hit.
- One-Hit Polykill: Aimy's charged attack fires a laser that pierces walls and enemies.
- 1-Up: Glorbs give you one extra time rewind upon pickup.
- Power-Up: The concept is toyed with in this game: if one of your characters die, and with another character you avert their demise, you can collect your saved comrade, allowing you to use their charge attack alongside your own and absorb one extra hit without dying.
- Rainbow Speak: Every instance of "time" and "travel" is colored red, and "super" is colored blue. Even in mundane sentences.
- Rule of Cool: Repeatski's motivation for going to 1,000,000 BC is to save the dinosaurs from extinction, because dinosaurs are awesome.
- Score Screen: When you complete a level, a window pops up showing how long you took to complete it, and how many collectibles you picked up.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: The Super Time Force's mission is to jump through time, correct history's dumb mistakes, and kill stuff that never should have happened.
- Shield Bash: This is Shieldy's basic attack.
- Spread Shot: Jean's charged attack shoots a rapid-fire version of this.
- Super Spit: Zackasaurus's charge attack is corrosive spit.
- Time Travel: The game's plot, and the main mechanic.
- Timed Mission: Every level is timed. Usually, it starts at 60 seconds, but there are pickups that extend the limit.
- Video Game Lives: The time rewinds work like this. You start each level with 30, and lose one each time you die, run out of time, or voluntarily time-out.
- Worth It: The "Risk" stated in the opening scroll.
- Year X: Two time periods you visit are 198X and 199X.