Video Game: Super Robot Wars NEO
Super Robot Wars NEO
(Sūpā Robotto Taisen NEO) is the first and only Nintendo Wii Super Robot Wars
title released on October 2009 and is the Spiritual Successor
to Super Robot Wars GC
. Like its predecessor, NEO
utilizes the same 3D scheme during battle animations and the game is the first time in franchise history that places focus solely on Super Robots
, as well as not completely feature any Mobile Suit Gundam
instalment (the only Real Robot
representative is Domon Kasshu and the God Gundam
also marks a first for the franchise: rather than use the usual grid-based movement system seen in almost every Turn-Based Strategy
, a radial-based method is introduced.NEO
is also the first instance where a non-combat oriented Humongous Mecha
series is introduced into this Massively Multiplayer Crossover
Series listing for NEO (debuting series are highlighted in bold):
Tropes regarding Super Robot Wars NEO include:
- Ace Custom (Penpader and Debajno)
- Affirmative Action Girl (Sorta : the male-to-female pilot ratio of the series featured in this game is even more skewed toward guys than usual, mostly due to all the super robots, resulting in the one-shot Shippu Iron Leaguer characters Watt and Amp making it in the game over five of the series's seven main characters to even things out.)
- An Axe to Grind (Alsignos, Go Shogun, Queen Saidarone, Ryu Chief Shinebaram and Getter-1. Getter-1 unlocks an attack which lets its axe glow green and grow to an immense size)
- Another Dimension (Earth Tear)
- Bald of Awesome (Benkei Mushashibou)
- Bald of Evil (Don Harumage)
- Big Ol' Eyebrows (Ryouma, Benkei Mushashibou and NG Knight Lamune & 40 non-mecha characters)
- BFG (Space Bazooka)
- Big Bad ( Larva)
- Black Knight (Galden and Dark Knight Steru)
- Blade on a Stick (Brai-Spear and Velgada Lancer)
- Brainwashed and Crazy (Da Cider, Sharlie and Galden)
- Carry a Big Stick (Debajino and Ryu Priest Baurus)
- Cain and Abel (Amane Inaba when possessed by Larva is the Cain and Kakeru Inaba is the Abel)
- Chest Blaster (Getter Beam, Breast Fire, Venus Missile, Diana Missile, and Breast Burn)
- Combat Tentacles ( Larva)
- Combining Mecha (Getter Robo and the Eldoran series units)
- Combination Attack (The Eldoran Special and Final Dynamic Special)
- Cool BFS (Shigzarl, Ryu Knight Zepher, the Eldoran units, Great Mazinger and Thunder Liger use them)
- Pure Energy The moment any Sig unit uses its Last Burn attack.
- Cool Car (Brai-Thunder)
- Cool Horse (Fire Liger rides one and becomes Velgada Liger)
- Cool Ship (The Ionia)
- Cute Witch (Sharlie Lunoille and Merveille)
- Cut Short: New Getter's plot ends after beating Abe no Seimei.
- Demonic Possession (Amane Inaba gets possessed by Larva)
- Demonic Invaders (The Drago Empire and the Daimakai)
- Demoted to Extra: None of the bad guys from Braiger, Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, G Gundam and Goshogun appear. Domon, the J9 team and the Go Shogun team are the only representatives of their respective series. This is because all of them are post-script
- Dude Looks Like a Lady (Amane)
- Elemental Powers
- Hair Decorations (Sharlie wears hair decs)
- Everything's Better with Penguins (Zanbar and the Penpader)
- Evil Counterpart (The Alsignos is this to the Shigzarl)
- Eyes Always Shut (Izumi)
- Face Palm of Doom (God Finger and God Finger: Seikha Tenkyoken)
- Fembot (Venus Ace and Diana Ace)
- Forgotten Superweapon: Larva
- Glasses Girl (Cocoa and Katze)
- Head Pet (Tama-Q and Hagu Hagu)
- Healing Hands (Ryu Priest Baurus)
- Heel-Face Turn ( Da Cider, Leska, Galden, Rivalis, Zanbar, Belzeb, Falzeb, Taida, Gold Mask, Gold Arm and Gold Foot)
- Hot-Blooded (Domon Kasshu, the Getter team, Da Cider, Magnum Ace, Baba Lamune and Adeu the Sonic)
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns (Kouji, Tetsuya and Ryouma)
- I Believe I Can Fly (Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger because of scranders)
- I Know Madden Kombat (The Iron League units)
- Instant Runes (Alsignos, Shigzarl AND Larva)
- Irony (You have some of the youngest mecha pilots (the Eldoran series) to be featured in a SRW teaming up with the most insane and violent incarnation of the Getter Robo team.)
- Joke Character: Boss Borot
- Lethal Joke Character: Resupplying is very powerful in this game (it can be used after moving and for no cost), he has a reasonably strong Assault attack, Borot Pressure Punch is long range, post movement, and can knock back for cheap, and his weapons upgrades are really cheap so he can do all of that (including the Resupplying) stronger for less money. He may not be the best supporter in the game, but he isn't horrible either.
- Knight in Shining Armor (Adeu the Sonic, he even has a special ability called Chivalry)
- Kakeru has "Spiritual Transmission" as his default theme, and "Extreme Degree" for his final attack.
- Upon upgrading to the Sigzarius, he default theme becomes "Sword of Justice", which becomes "Ultimate Energy" for his 2 strongest attacks.
- Sharl has "Magical Spectrum", which changes to "Brilliant Valkyrie" for her final attack.
- Amane's theme is "Mysterious Power".
- Zanba's theme is "Flying Column of Bonehead", which also has an "SPmix" for his final attack.
- Rivalis's inital theme is "Strike Head On", later switching to "Rock Me βmix" for his final attack.
- Chaos has "Majestic Enigma" as her theme.
- Amane, when possessed by Larva, has "Majestic Enigma" and "Rush of Shudder" as his themes.
- Larva himself has "Hokai no Ibuki" (Breath of Collapse) as his intial form's theme, with his form as the Final Boss having "Kakuseisuru Zoou" (Awakening Hatred) as its theme.
- Magic Knight (Ryu Knight Zepher, Dark Knight Steru and Shigzarl)
- Magitech(Ryu Knight units)
- Mechanical Lifeforms (Iron Leaguer units and the Machine Empire)
- Medieval European Fantasy (Earth Tear)
- Motion Capture Mecha (God Gundam and the Ryu Knight units)
- Multicolored Hair (Rivalis Muilove, Leska/Cafe Au Lait)
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Larva, The God of Destruction
- Ninja (Ninja Sarutobi and Ryu Ninja Bakunetsumaru)
- Obviously Evil (Abe No Seimei)
- Odd Name Out: New Getter Robo in the middle of all these kids's shows, which is clearly not...for small children like the rest.
- Then again, with the exception of New Getter Robo, the last time any of these shows were aired was 14 years ago...which means the target demographic who watched them are now adults (circa 2009).
- Ordinary High-School Student (Kakeru Inaba)
- Pointed Ears (Cocoa, Milk, Leska and Chaos Rail)
- Power Fist (God Gundam)
- Power Glows (Getter-1, God Gundam and Go Shogun using its Finishing Moves
- Recycled Title: Not 100% the same, but a previous SRW is officially titled "Neo Super Robot Wars" in English. Luckily, the fanbase didn't take to that name.
- The Rival (Rivalis Muilove)
- Rocket Punch (Rocket Punch, Iron Cutter, Dasharin Rocket Punch, Atomic Punch, Drill Pressure Punch and Drill Missile)
- Royals Who Actually Do Something (Princess Paffy Pafuricia and the 3 Maidens)
- Single Line of Descent (Baba Lamune and Ken Taiga are descendants of heroes.)
- Slasher Smile (Ryouma and Hayato do this in their attack cut-ins
- Summon Magic (Baba Lamune does this with the help of Tama-Q)
- Super Robot (No Real Robots at all)
- Theme Music Powerup The Sword of Justice. The moment you start hearing the new theme for Kakeru, you know shit's going down!
- This Is a Drill (Getter-2)
- Trademark Favorite Food/Sweet Tooth (Donuts for Sharlie, so much that they call her Donut Girl)
- Transforming Mecha (Getter Robo, Braiger, King Scascher and Queen Saidarone)
- Verbal Tic (-pen for Zanbar)
- Wave Motion Gun (Brai-Cannon, Etheral Blaze, RevolBuster, Saurer Big Burster, Getter Beam at Full Power and Space Bazooka)
- What Could Have Been: Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru and Madou King Granzort were supposed to be part of the debuting entries, but were cut out when difficulty arose in securing the licenses.
- Wolverine Claws (Penpader and Debajino)