Video Game: Super Robot Wars Compact 3
Super Robot Wars Compact 3
is the final Super Robot Wars
game for the Bandai Wonderswan; additionally, it is the only Compact game that is exclusive to the Wonderswan Color.
The Earth is nearing what seems to be the end of a long, painful war. Dr. Hell
, the Mikene Empire
, the Hyakki Empire
, Neo Zeon
, and the Organization of the Zodiac
have all been defeated, with the Cambellians
and the Titans
on the verge of destruction. However, the Earth Federation
cuts back at the very last minute: the Argama is forced to finish off remnant Titans on its own, while the Super Robot
teams are left to deal with the remains of their respective enemies without assistance. Because of this, half a year passes with little-to-no progress being made against completely destroying the various factions.
Little do they know that a new war's about to begin: when Jaburo is under siege by a mysterious, fight-happy race
called the Shura, a stray warrior named Folka Albark with his mech Ialdabaoth ends up siding with the Londo Bell, while being systematically hunted by his fellow kinsmen.
Compact 3's notorious for the addition of "oddball" magical mecha series, such as Vision of Escaflowne
and New Story Of Aura Battler Dunbine
Tropes that Compact 3 has
- Alas, Poor Villain: When Hyouma defeats Garuda, he tells him to eject from his mech and the Combattler team agree since he's lost the battle, he doesn't need to lose his life but Garuda says that he is content to have fought them as a real Campbellian would have, right to the end which made Chizuru asks if what he said just right now means that he isn't one. Garuda confirms it saying that it's true that he is a robot. Garuda tells Hyouma and the Combattler team that this is a battle with no hate behind them, a fair fight to the end. He only wishes that he had realized things sooner before Mia had been destroyed. Folka notes that pride alone isn't capable of changing things, he wonders what is necessary in order to break free of the cycle of tragedy. Hyouma muses that he wished that he and Garuda had met under different circumstances and Folka agrees that Garuda was a very prideful warrior even if what he believed in was incorrect.
- Ancestral Weapon (All high-class Shura Gods, specifically the ones used by Shura Generals, are relics of their ancestors; current generation of Shura only has the technology to build the lowest class, namely the mooks)
- Aloof Big Brother (Altis Tarl, Folka and Fernando Albark's older brother)
- An Ice Person (Maysis Mark, the Shura General of Ice)
- Ars Goetia: The Shura Mecha's Theme Naming
- Badass (Naturally, Folka)
- Badass Family (The Randou Family from Acrobunch)
- Big Bouncy Breasts (Hinoki and Keade from Betterman has these in their Super Move Portrait Attack)
- Blood Knight (Most likely "Freedom Knight" Alion Lucada...though to be honest, being a Blood Knight is a requirement for any Shura warrior. According to Folka, the Shura don't just fight for the sake of it, but they fight to win, which makes it very important that they gather THEIR forces up first.)
- Brainwashed and Crazy (Fernando)
- Cain and Abel (Inversion: Fernando being the "bad" Abel for Folka, who's "good" Cain)
- Caped Mecha (A feature of pretty much any Guymelef that isn't a mass production model. The capes on Zaibach mecha double as Invisibility Cloaks. Also present with Fernando's Valefor after its apotheosis.)
- Cat Girl (Merle, Nariya and Eriya)
- Chivalrous Pervert (Alion has a crush on Maysis and hits on his own robot (as a joke, mind you))
- Combining Mecha (Acrobunch, Combattler V, Getter Robo G, Mechander Robo, Shin Getter Robo)
- Cool Horse (Altis' mecha is not a horse, but a centaur. A bit of a Shout-Out to Koku-Oh, with Altis being the Aloof Big Brother of Kenshiro pastiche Folka)
- Alion's mecha Agares is actually an anthromorphic horse
- Demoted to Extra (In spite of being the titular character and more or less the hero of his series, Betterman Lamia's reduced to a handful of roles in the game and always is a NPC ally on missions he appears)
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Only in Compact 3; in fact, it's unfair since Fernando's killed right after he pulls his Heel-Face Turn.
- Expy (Averted so far: Folka isn't THAT much of a Kenshiro expy in the beginning, except for the attack Kanji display, due to graphical limitations)
- Evil Chancellor (Mizal Touval; trope's more evident in Super Robot Wars Original Generation Gaiden)
- Five-Bad Band (The top Shura Generals)
- Gonk (Magnaz)
- The Greatest Story Never Told: At the end of Compact 3, Remuru sees the Sirbine warping out in front of her with Shion shouting where are they this time and she asks Shion where he had been to all this time. Silky notes that they're back to their world and Shion says that he's been to another world. Remuru asks what the heck he is talking about. He just went off wandering didn't he? Silky says to believe them but Shion tells Remuru, "Oh, I guess I didn't fool you" and Shion tells Silky that no one will believe their tales of another world. Remuru asks for Shion's help since things has gotten a bit hectic since Shion went away and Shion says that he got it and tells Silky, "Let's go Silky."
- Green Aesop: By the end of Compact 3, Emma wonders what they'll do about the Conquestor with Judo noting that they can't just attack the planet Ganimede since it's so far away. Ryusuke note that if they can get rid of the pollution and damage to their world; that should be fine with Mika also noting that if they can keep their planet clean and green, the Conquestor hopefully wouldn't attack again. Noin note that that sounds a lot like a new battle for them with Zechs noting that it's one without fighting this time to which Duo says that he's up for it. Heero note that it's also a war in which they will not need their Gundams and Quatre says that they should let their Gundam rest from now on.
- Human Alien: The Shura and Jimmy from Mechander Robo.
- Life Energy (Powering a Shura God requires one's life)
- Subverted once Folka "apotheosizes" the Ialdabaoth
- Little Miss Badass: Leina Ashta becomes one in this game.
- To the point where she's the only person who can reach the maximum level of Newtype. Her brother, one of the most powerful Newtypes of all time, only reaches level 8.
- Not Quite Dead: In scenario 11B, Tekko Oni has arrived in town and demands that Getter Robo battle him. The Getter team responds by deploying in Shin Getter Robo. Ryouma recognizes Tekko Oni who says that he has come for their death-match. Hayato and Benkei can't believe that Tekko Oni is still alive. Tekko Oni says that his Tekko Ki can only be commanded by him so it is truly him and Ryouma asks why does he want to battle them to the death now, as the Hyakki Empire is destroyed. Tekko Oni says that it's now that they can guarantee no interference. Last time, Hidler forced him to deploy in the unfinished Tekkou Ki and intervened in their fight also. Ryouma says they have no reason to fight but Tekko Oni says that his dream is of defeating Getter Robo. Ryouma ask if they cannot fight elsewhere, like on the soccer field like before but Tekko Oni says that he no longer wants that. He joins the group after an Enemy Mine situation.
- Out-of-Character Alert: During the attack on the Omega Missile base in Compact 3, Folka then attacks Fernando and demands to know what is wrong with Fernando since Fernando isn't usually this kill happy but Fernando says what's wrong with that, all Shura are born to fight and kill and strive for the position of General. Folker wonders what changed Fernando like this but Fernando tells him to shut up and fight and die. After beating him, Fernando then says, "What a redundant moron" which perks Folka's ear and Folka says that he won't be hesitant anymore, he'll defeat Fernando and Fernando says that Folka can try. Folka then smirks and says "How about revealing your true face... You can't fool my eyes." "Fernando" then asks how Folka knew that he wasn't really Fernando and Folka says that he hasn't forgotten Fernando's fist (The way of the martial arts, fighter recognize, communicate, etc with their fist) "Fernando" reveals himself to be Arco who says that he didn't think Folka had gotten this strong and Folka says that the power of belief has made him stronger. Arco then says that when the REAL Fernando awakens then Folka wouldn't be talking big like this and Arco notes that this is it for him, looks like what that girl said was true.
- The Remnant (Whatever's left of the Titans and Neo Zeon)
- Robeast: The Shura attempt a more direct homage with their animal-themed mecha, but they have soldiers as pilots.
- Smug Snake (Mizal)
- Spam Attack (Folka has those Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs; he also has Shinha Kou Ken, where he spams energy bolts. Folka loves to spam)
- Sphere of Destruction (Stoner Sunshine)
- Spell My Name with an "S" (Is it Phorka or Folka? Is it Fernando or Phernand? Is it Ialdabaoth or Yaldabaoth? Is it Valefor or Valefar? In fact, Compact 3's inherent use of this trope for its original characters and mecha is just mind-boggling)
- Stalked by the Bell: the Omega Missile from Mechander Robo frequently shows up after 3 turns from Stage 10 until Stage 16. It has a post movement MAPW with a range of 1-6 around itself that hits for about 4k damage and NEVER misses.
- The Starscream (Mizal)
- Theme Naming (All Shura Gods are named after mythical demons)
- Tsundere (Maysis gets really gushy in front of Altis, but when Alion teases her about it, she snaps; likewise, in battle, she possesses a no-nonsense personality like Soi Fon)
- Too Many Belts (Folka's outfit is loaded with it)
- Villain Team-Up: After scenario 10, Yazan notes that they've finally returned to the surface but they've lost Jerid and with this little firepower, they can't take out the Argama. A Titans solider tells Yazan that a Shura mech is coming in their direction. It is Alion and Yazan asked what he wants since he has no business with the Shura. Alion asks if he's targeting the Argama and knows of a Rakan Dakaran. Yazan note that Rakan was a Neo Zeon officer, maybe he'd like to hear more of what Arion wants to say right now. Arion says that Rakan has join forces with them to attack the Argama which is why he'd like Yazan to join as well. Yazan considers it and he thought, what the heck, Neo Zeon and the Titans may have been enemies but that doesn't concern him as long as he sinks the Argama so he's in.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: After beating Alkaid in the final scenario of Compact 3, Alkaid asks, "Folka Albark, you say that the old ways of our worlds were wrong and searched for an answer, is that so? What is the difference between our people and these people?" Folka answers, "I have fought alongside the people of these worlds and learned from them the answers to my question, the people of this world and us are exactly the same." Keita is surprised at Folka's answer but Folka continues, "Do you GET that, Shura King? We are like they are, we just have to find a way to live without fighting, that's all. We just didn't know HOW. It's not just about fighting; we have to learn how to build a new Shura World with our own hands." Van asks, "So that is your answer, Folka?" Alkaid says that ideals alone will not make it a reality, but Folka retorts that they can do it. Alkaid says again that anyone can SAY they can do it and Folka says that he and the remaining Shura will find a way. Alkaid says that it is time then that he joined his beloved Generals in the great beyond and says "Folka, I leave the Shura World in your hands."