Video Game / Super Mario War
A fangame created by the late
Florian Hufsky. It can be found here
The game is a 4 player competition with several modes of play. Built around a Mario Brothers world, you play as a color coded Mario (or any of the skins you download) and try to win by accomplishing the goal before anybody else or have the highest points before the time ends.
- Alien Geometries: The game world uses an unwrapped toroidal universe, like Asteroids. The environments have the same geometry as the surface of a donut; this means that if you walk off the left side of the screen, you'll reappear on the right side. Fall off the bottom of the screen, and you'll reappear at the top. To prevent infinitely looping freefalls, you'll reach terminal velocity and burn up in midair if you fall too long.
- Of course, if you don't like this sort of thing, you can add walls to the sides of the level, or add kill zones on the sides of the screen.
- Color-Coded Multiplayer
- Easter Egg: Most of the new stuff in 1.8 debuted in 1.7 as this.
- The Goomba: Appears in Stomp Mode and is playable.
- Goomba Stomp: The primary way of defeating your opponents.
- Goomba Springboard
- Invincibility Power-Up: The Starman.
- Kill It with Fire: The Fire Flower power up.
- Kill It with Ice: The Ice Wand.
- Mascot Fighter
- Massive Multiplayer Cross Over: Thanks to user-created skins, the roster includes almost every named character in the Mario-verse, several Wario and Donkey Kong characters, fanon characters such as Weegee, characters from pirated games, almost everyone that has been in a Super Smash Bros. game, characters from the games that those characters were originally from, quite a few Touhou characters, most of Sonic the Hedgehog's (popular) friends, and every Robot Master from the first three Mega Man games.
- Nostalgia Level: Some maps are either remakes of levels from other video games or based on levels from other games.
- Poison Mushroom: The Trope Namer appears in this game.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Can be done intentionally when creating a map.
- The Spiny: In addition to appearing in Stomp Mode, they are also playable, albeit they are functionally the same as everyone else.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Bullet Bills explode if they collide. Bob-Omb Suits and Bombs are two of the power-ups.
- Turtle Power: Koopa Troopas appear in Stomp Mode. They, along with Bowser, are also playable.
- Video Game Settings: It'll be easier to name which ones don't apply.