Stranded is a free
game series from German developer Unreal Software
. It consists of two games, Stranded and Stranded 2. The first game was released in a German Blitz Basic forum on the 8th of June 2003 while the sequel in 2008. Your main objective in this game is to survive the shipwreck that left you stranded
on a deserted island. You can make tools, hunt, forage for food, and build shelters etc. to increase your chance for survival. The ultimate objective is, of course, to build a transport main to escape the island.
In late 2012, the development of Stranded 3
has started. The game will have a map editor
for the first time in the series.
This video games provide examples of:
- Bottomless Bladder: Despite the presence of various Stat Meters within the game mechanic, there is surprisingly no "bladder meter" of any sort.
- However, there is an edible item in the game that can cause your player character to poop on the spot. The resulting "excrement" (the item's name) can be picked up and be used as a poison inducing ammunition for your slingshot. Ew.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: The poisonous mushrooms are colored green to indicate their poisonous property.
- Companion Cube: If you managed to find a volleyball, you'll be able to craft Wilson. You can actually use him in your inventory to interact with him and he'll "respond" to you.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: You can build Monkey School and train them to do chores.
- Subverted with Claw Monkeys.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: You can tame a velociraptor and ride on them like a horse.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks
- Fishing Minigame: Fish is one of your sources for food.
- Game Mod: Massive Mod for 2 that enhance the game but makes the game a bit more difficult.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Your character can get hungry, thirsty, and/or tired pretty fast. More so if you're pretty active and doing a lot of manual labor.
- Item Crafting: You can craft a quite lot of items. Even entire buildings and a couple of seafaring crafts.
- Item Farming: From mining, foraging, hunting, fishing to literal farming.
- Mind Screw: At first the game's adventure mode's storyline seems like your average "guy stranded on a deserted island" type stories but then the pirate with an invisible boat appears... It gets quite screwy from there.
- Mini-Game: There are two preset scenarios in Stranded 2: One is a tower defense type of mini-game. The other one is a color game similar to Simon Says.
- Misplaced Wildlife: Lions on tropical island?
- Mook Maker: There are things in the game that spawn animals. Most of which spawn hostile creatures and usually in the form of nests. If you leave it be, there will be another one of those critters you just killed the next day, maybe even more.
- Nobody Poops: Except when you eat a plum fruit.
- Oxygen Meter: Whenever your player character dives underwater.
- Player Character: The unseen yet vocal protagonist of the series. Otherwise known within the Stranded community and in the game files as "Mr. Stranded".
- Poison Mushroom: There are many kinds of mushrooms within the game. One of which is poisonous.
- Randomly Generated Levels: The game's Random Island mode. Choose an island type (like snow, swamp, desert or the default tropical), map size and difficulty level and you're all set.
- Robinsonade: The Games.
- Shout-Out: In 2 you can actually craft Wilson and name a starfish Patrick.
- Simulation Game
- Somewhere, a Palaeontologist Is Crying: Not-so-extinct Jurassic Park velociraptors? Sure why not.
- Wide Open Sandbox
- Wizard Needs Food Badly: This is a game about survival. You will need to worry about your hunger, thirst and fatigue/tiredness or else you'll lose health and die.
- Video Game Time: Everything happens a lot faster. Time stops when you're in the inventory screen and sleep is instant as you will wake up the next day after you've slept for less than a second.