Stonkers is a ZX Spectrum Real-Time Strategy game—some say it may be the first ever RTS.Its main claim to fame nowadays is as the butt of a Running Gag; anyone asking on a Speccy community, "What is the name of this game?" is likely to get at least one answer saying, "it's definitely not Stonkers."
This game provides examples of:
- A Winner Is You: As per a game released in 1983.
- Baseless Mission: There's no way to replace your old units or create the new ones. There are no bases to defend, capture or destroy, either.
- Definitely Not a Running Gag
- Easy Logistics: Supplies for your units are not delivered easily. In fact, first you need to wait for the ship with the said resources. And then use your supply trucks.
- You can also capture the enemy's supplies.
- Game-Breaking Bug: Tends to crash after a few minutes of play. At least, not on its' later builds.
- Kill 'em All: The object of the entire game is to destroy all enemy opposition. Destroying oncoming hordes of aliens doesn't count, however.
- Trope Maker: Obviously enough, for the entire RTS genre.
- Ur-Example: Stonkers, released in 1983, may be the very first Real Time Strategy Game.
- It also had a cursor for selecting units and giving them orders. This control scheme would rarely be used again, until Dune II hits the shelves. In addition, it had a minimap.
- Wizard Needs Food Badly: All your units have a supply stat, which depletes with time. Once the stat is at zero, the unit's dead and gone.