Video Game: Star Soldier
Star Soldier is a line of Vertical Scrolling Shooters by Hudson Soft. The series started in the 1980s as a Spiritual Successor to Tecmo's Star Force. The games are characterized by their distinct power-up weapons.The games in this series include:
- Star Soldier (1986, NES/MSX; remade in 2003 for Gamecube/PS2/PSP)
- Super Star Soldier (1990, TurboGrafx-16) - developed by Kaneko
- Final Soldier (1991, TurboGrafx-16)
- Soldier Blade (1992, TurboGrafx-16)
- Star Parodier (1995, Turbo CD) - Cute 'em Up featuring Bomberman, developed by Kaneko
- Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (1997, Nintendo 64)
- Star Soldier R (2008, WiiWare) - timed play only
Tropes appearing in these games:
- Awesome, but Impractical: In Vanishing Earth, the green ship. How cool is it that its Ex-Arms consist of shooting green electricity everywhere, and throwing a freakin' stream of green fire towards the enemy? Problem is, it's the slowest ship, it's Rolling is the shortest, and its main weapon, while it covers pretty much everything in the horizontal field in front of you, is as a result the weakest one since all its damage is spread out rather than focused.
- Boss Rush: Boss On Parade in the remake for PSP
- Content Warning: Presumably in order to deter It's Short, so It Sucks, the purchase page for Star Soldier R gives you a warning in red text that the game only features 2- and 5-minute modes.
- Homing Projectile: Played straight in which some of the enemies fire blue energy balls that magnetically lock on to the player's ship unless you move away from them.
- Pause Scumming: Not in Caravan modes! The timer will continue to run down while the game is paused.
- Scoring Points: The main campaign modes have scoring systems. Then there's the "Caravan" modes—2- and 5-minute modes where you fly through a unique stage and destroy as many enemies and tiles as you can to earn points.
- Self Plagiarism: The Virtual Boy game Vertical Force (also developed by Hudson Soft) is very similar to the original game despite not being nominally part of the series.
- Timed Mission: The Caravan modes.