Video Game: Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge
aka: Space Quest II
Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge (also simply known as "Space Quest II") is the second game in the Space Quest series, released in 1987. After the events of the first game, Roger Wilco is transferred to Xenon Orbital Station 4 and promoted to head janitor. However, an evil alien named Sludge Vohaul captures Roger for foiling his plan in the first game. Roger manages to escape, but realizes that Vohaul has another plan to obliterate Xenon. It's up to Roger to foil his plan at all costs.
This video game provides examples of:
- Bridge Logic: How you get across a chasm in Space Quest II.
- Caught in a Snare: Roger accidentally trips a hunter's snare (at least you can't see it beforehand), and is stuck there until the hunter who set it eventually comes and takes him down, intending to bring him back to his lair as lunch.
- Fan Remake: Infamous Adventures has remade Space Quest II in the visual style of Space Quest IV.
- Insurmountable Waist High Fence: The wild maze full of alien tentacles: if you so much as barely touch one of the tentacles, the head of the alien will come and eat you. Annoyingly, the tentacles are so low to the ground that realistically one could carefully tiptoe over them. You also have to navigate this maze twice.
- Averted in the remake: you can't get through by navigating the maze. Instead, you have to solve a new puzzle to kill the alien, allowing you to walk through freely.
- Shout-Out: Several in the remake.
- One of the graffiti messages will mention "Cyborg Skwisgaar Skwigelf" stealing the writer's guitar strings.
- In the teaser for a supposed remake of Space Quest III (which sadly never got made), one of the "strange worlds" Roger could visit is lifted directly from Manhunter 2: San Francisco with updated graphics.
- A new room in Vohaul's ship is a small arcade, which includes an enhanced remake of Troll's Tale, one of the earliest games from Leisure Suit Larry creator Al Lowe.
- A post-credits scene involving the pink creatures found on Labion parodies the ending of Return of the Jedi.
- After passing out after getting caught in a snare, Roger has a dream where he's Larry Laffer. The remake steps it up by including a screenshot from Land of the Lounge Lizards, but with Larry's (EGA) sprite edited to look like Roger.
- Vader Breath: Vohaul.