Video Game: Sorcerer's Lair
Sorcerer's Lair is a Digital Pinball Table by Zen Studios for their Zen Pinball/Pinball FX games, and one of their original tables that isn't based on an existing property.In it, you play as a brother and sister who decide to curiously venture into the spooky mansion outside of their town. However, the owner within, the titular Sorcerer, is not pleased with them invading his home. His goal now is to either cast them out, or if they refuse to do so, turn them into monsters to join the other denizens of the property. Luckily for the pair, they're aided by a friendly ghost named Whisper who wishes to help them through the mansion.The goal of the game is to gather the obsidians (done by completing the modes) and do battle against the Sorcerer himself.The game is free on most platforms to play as a way to prompt players to buy the Studio's other pinball tables. Public reception to Sorcerer's Lair has been mostly positive, with the strongest points being clear and concise objectives and many available modes. Uniquely among Zen's designs, Sorcerer's Lair has also gained a substantial player base among fans of Physical Pinball Tables, no doubt because Sorcerer's Lair is the closest in Zen's library to a real-life pinball machine.
Sorcerer's Lair has the following tropes.
- Brats with Slingshots: The brother sports one.
- Brother-Sister Team
- Cute Ghost Girl: Whisper
- Haunted House: The lair serves as one.
- Mini-Game: A few when you activate the basement levels, such as shooting spiders, guiding a ball through a clockwork mechanism, or making your way out of a cellar.
- No Name Given: The boy's name is Jake. His sister is referred to simply as "Jake's sister."
- The Place
- This Cannot Be!: The Sorcerer himself if you make it through Midnight Madness.
- When the Clock Strikes Twelve: The basis of Midnight Madness. It's also when the Sorcerer's power is at his strongest and he can control all the monsters the lair. Including Whisper who you have to shoot to prevent her from going back to him.
- When Trees Attack: One of the modes has you shooting a ball at a living tree.
- Wizard Mode: Midnight Madness.