Videogame: Sniper Elite III
A single bullet can change history.
The latest game in the Sniper Elite series, a prequel set during the Campaigns in Africa, chronologically before the fall of the Nazis in Sniper Elite V2
. You are again Karl Fairburne, an OSS officer who is sent in to deal with Nazi Wunderwaffe or Wonder Weapons. The location is various parts of Africa as Karl does his best to help turn the tide against the Nazis in favour of the allies.
The game is aimed at being more like the original Sniper Elite
with the more open environments allowing the player to approach their targets with more flexibility as well as possibly putting them in assorted and potentially hazardous situations. The player may also find new solutions to each objective as they stalk around the enemy territory.
The core sniping mechanic is still effectively unchanged in this game but other changes were made or added to the other aspects of the game.
A more detailed kill cam incorporating a new muscle and circulatory system layers, dynamic bone fractures, and a detailed vehicle kill cam add new levels of spectacle to the game. A new variety of tricks that the player can use to distract the enemy or hide their presence are made available to the player. These tricks include starting small fires and sabotaging enemy equipment sot hat it produces more noise to mask the players shots. The classic rock throwing distraction is still available.
A brand new feature added to this game is the relocation mechanic. After the player fires a shot they need to relocate or risk being found. The enemy immediately reacts to sniper fire now and heads for cover and then begin searching for the player. Repeated shots from the same location will help the enemy locate the player and they will then try to flush the player out or corner and kill them. If the player relocates successfully the enemy will eventually give up on the search allowing the player to once again more freely stalk the enemy.
Other changes to features include how the enemy infantry and vehicles react and pursue the player. The enemies now more intelligently use cover, suppressing fire, and the general environment against the player. Vehicles are no longer static and will actively hunt the player.
The vehicles have expanded weak spot mechanics but are now more difficult to take out. The player has to use a variety of tactics including mines, explosives, anti-tank weapons, or carefully placed shots at certain parts of the tank.
A new Experience Point system mechanic has been introduced that allows the player to customize their gear. The xp points earned in single player and multi-player carry over between the modes.
- Hunt the White Wolf: A mission that involves hunting either Hitler or what may possibly be his body double. It is never verified in the mission which it is for certain. This was a Pre-Order bonus. note
- Hunting Weapons Pack. It includes the Soviet SVT rifle and a new pistol.
- Save Churchill, a DLC which is Exactly What It Says on the Tin: A mission to save Winston Churchill.
- Accidental Aiming Skills: Due to the identical shooting mechanics to the previous games this remains very similar. Players shots may go wide with unexpected outcomes including killing a different enemy or striking an explosive item setting it off.
- Arrow Cam: Just like the previous game you get to follow the bullet as it smashes into your enemies and destroys internal organs and bones. Only this time there is increased level of detail such as new muscle and circulatory system layers and inclusion of dynamic bone destruction from bullet impact. Another new addition is a kill cam view for vehicles which includes the same level of detail as the shots on the enemy infantry.
- Benevolent Architecture: Assorted bits of natural rock, conveniently placed enemy supplies, and sometimes overly convenient landscape features provide players with an advantage.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Additional details were added to gore mechanics including new layers of tissue and dynamic bone destruction from bullets. New sounds were also made to accompany the new effects. See Also Arrow Cam.
- Booby Trap: Along with the trip mines, regular mines, and explosives the player can now also deliberately lure enemies with distractions into booby traps.
- Boom, Headshot: Now with a more detailed gore mechanic including dynamic bone destruction. New sound effects were generated for the game to add to the visceral effect. The head shot is again the sweet shot of the sniper adding more xp for head shot kills. It is also a guaranteed kill shot every time.
- Bullet Time:
- When making a kill shot at a certain distance and/or difficulty you will get bullet Arrow Cam effect.
- There is a focus mode where if the characters heartbeat is low enough it will slow time down making it easier to target fast enemies and take more difficult shots.
- Cold Sniper: The player character and enemy snipers are ever the cold and efficient professionals of their trade.
- Exploding Barrels: Explosive barrels, fuel cans, and scattered explosive munitions for various forms of artillery. The obvious clue is they are red or have a red part. There are also large exploding fuel drums that can be found in various depots. They can also be set off by setting a distraction fire by the red barrels or munition piles.
- Groin Attack: Groin shots are a lethal hit and legitimate shot for killing enemy troops.
- Hand Guns: Handguns are present in the game again with the player at least being able to select the Welrod Silenced pistol and additional side arms as they progress.
- Hollywood Silencer: The Welrod is again small chuff rather then a door slam it has in reality.
- Immune to Bullets: Not as drastic as the last game. The vehicles have an array of weak points that can be now targeted that can possibly destroy the vehicles. Hits in other places will do next to nothing.
- Lead The Target: Due to the shooting mechanics targets on the move need a lead based on range and speed of the target. These can be the most difficult shots to pull off.
- Moe Greene Special: Eyes can be deliberately targeted with a gory display of the eye being mangled and popped by the bullet.
- Mooks: The various Nazi troops that are part of the Afrika Corps. The generic troops are little more then sniper fodder with more elite troops providing more of a challenge.
- More Dakka: Enemy troops and the player both have access to automatic weapons and the benefits of automatic fire they bring. Various vehicles have machineguns as part of their armaments and will turn them on the player.
- No Scope: The player can shoot enemies with the sniper rifle without use of the scope. While not as accurate it is handy in pinch.
- One Hit Poly Kill: Depending on conditions the player can kill multiple enemies with one bullet. Either one bullet passing through multiple enemies or causing certain objects to detonate killing groups of enemies.
- Pink Mist: Rendered with increased detail as bone fragments and blood often spray out of an enemy.
- Sniper Scope Sway: Player heart rate, position, and whether you are using the focus mode or not can cause a players scope to sway. Use of focus mode temporarily eliminates or greatly reduces the effect.
- Sniping Mission: Every mission is a sniping mission. The player is a sniper under taking special covert missions.
- Stuff Blowing Up: An increase in environmental items that can be shot and explode creating explosions and fire balls everywhere. Vehicles have nice explosions and even spare ammo boxes can be set off.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: After detecting a sniper in the area more then a few times the guards will still stop looking and going back to a more relaxed state even if several of their comrades have been shot in succession.
- Tactical Withdrawal: There is a new relocation system that encourages a player to move before the enemy finds them. Multiple shots from a location will lead the enemy to the player more quickly or increase the chances of an enemy finding the player when they do move.
- Urban Warfare: Some of the environments can take part in small villages or bases providing both challenges and opportunities to the player as they traverse the terrain.