Shaq-Fu is a Fighting Game released in 1994. It was developed by Delphine Software International and published by Electronic Arts.The plot is as follows: Shaquille O'Neal heads to a basketball game in Tokyo for a charity event and decides to stop in a gift store. A wise old man notices him and tells O'Neal it's his destiny to save his grandson from the Big Bad Sett Ra, or else he will Take Over the World. To do so, O'Neal must step through the mirror and enter the dimension known as the Second World.Shaq-Fu is frequently seen in "Worst Games of All Time" lists, mainly because of a ridiculous plot and the Hitbox Dissonance. The Angry Video Game Nerd does a review on it in Part 2 of his "Yet Another Christmas Carol" episode, and there's even a website dedicated to finding all copies of the game and destroying them And another dedicated to finding all copies of the game and saving them.An interview with Shaq himself at the 2014 CES show in Las Vegas has has him confirm that a sequel known as Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn is in the works. Here's the link to the IndieGoGoPage, and the first trailer here. Harsher in Hindsight when EventStatus revealed there was something suspicious about it.
This game contains examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: The Sega Genesis version has more levels and characters. This version was ported to the Amiga for Europe only, though this version lacks the music.
- Because Destiny Says So: Why Shaq's involved to begin with.
- Brick Joke: When you defeat Beast, he says he'll travel through time to stop you. In the ending, he shows up at the charity basketball game Shaq is supposed to play in.
- The Bus Came Back: Kaori is the first, and so far, only character from the original Shaq Fu confirmed to appear in the sequel.
- Dual Wielding: Rajah uses two swords.
- Fake Difficulty: The true enemy in this game are the controls. They make the game harder than it should be.
- Genre Shift: The original game is a 2D fighting game. The sequel was going to be a 3D beat-em-up.
- Hitbox Dissonance: You basically need to hit the center of your opponents to do any damage.
- Hyperactive Sprite: Shaq will not stop jogging in place.
- I Know Madden Kombat: The profile says he's skilled in Shaquido.
- My God, You Are Serious: The rumors that a sequel to the game was being made. Surprised everyone when it turned out, that yes, it was true.
- Nintendo Hard: Most notable in the sense of its shoddy controls and hit detection.
- Plot Hole: Leotsu, Nesu's grandfather, fights you on the first island and asks you to save his grandson, even though you met him in the gift shop.
- Also, when you face Sett Ra, Shaq tells him to release Nezu when he just saved him earlier.
- Shock and Awe: Memphis summons lightning as one of his special moves.
- Turns Red: Fury mode increases your attack power and turns your character red when you take major damage during the fight.