is a Fighting Game
released in 1994. It was developed by Delphine Software International
and published by Electronic Arts
The plot is as follows: Shaquille O'Neal heads to a basketball game in Tokyo for a charity event and decides to stop in a gift store. A wise old man notices him and tells O'Neal it's his destiny to save his grandson from the Big Bad
Sett Ra, or else he will Take Over the World
. To do so, O'Neal must step through the mirror and enter the dimension known as the Second World.Shaq-Fu
is frequently seen in "Worst Games of All Time" lists, mainly because of a ridiculous plot
and the Hitbox Dissonance
. The Angry Video Game Nerd
does a review
on it in Part 2 of his "Yet Another Christmas Carol
" episode, and there's even a website dedicated to finding all copies of the game and destroying them And another dedicated to finding all copies of the game and saving them
An interview with Shaq himself at the 2014 CES show in Las Vegas has has him confirm that a Shaq Fu 2 is in the works. Here's the link to the IndieGoGoPage, and the first trailer here.
This game contains examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: The Sega Genesis version has more levels and characters. This version was ported to the Amiga for Europe only, though this version lacks the music.
- Alternate Dimension: The Second World.
- Always Night: Diesel's Stage, the Yasko Mines.
- Bare Your Midriff: Voodoo.
- Because Destiny Says So: Why Shaq's involved to begin with.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Leotsu, Rajah, Kaori and Nezu.
- Brick Joke: When you defeat Beast, he says he'll travel through time to stop you. In the ending, he shows up at the charity basketball game Shaq is supposed to play in.
- Cat Girl: Kaori.
- Cyborg: Colonel.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Voodoo.
- The Dragon: Beast.
- Dual Wielding: Rajah uses two swords.
- Fake Difficulty: The true enemy in this game are the controls. They make the game harder than it should be.
- Genre Shift: The original game is a 2D fighting game. The sequel is going to be a 3D beat-em-up.
- Hitbox Dissonance: You basically need to hit the center of your opponents to do any damage.
- I Know Madden Kombat: The profile says he's skilled in Shaquido.
- My God, You Are Serious: The rumors that a sequel to the game was being made. Surprised everyone when it turned out, that yes, it was true.
- Nintendo Hard: Most notable in the sense of its shoddy controls and hit detection.
- Plot Hole: Leotsu, Nesu's grandfather, fights you on the first island and asks you to save his grandson, even though you met him in the gift shop.
- Also, when you face Sett Ra, Shaq tells him to release Nezu when he just saved him earlier.
- She's Back: Kaori is the first, and so far, only character from the original Shaq Fu confirmed to appear in the sequel.
- Shock and Awe: Memphis summons lightning as one of his special moves.
- SNK Boss: Sett Ra.
- Turns Red: Fury mode increases your attack power and turns your character red when you take major damage during the fight.