is a Fighting Game
released in 1994. It was developed by Delphine Software International
and published by Electronic Arts
The plot is as follows: Shaquille O'Neal heads to a basketball game in Tokyo for a charity event and decides to stop in a gift store. A wise old man notices him and tells O'Neal it's his destiny to save his grandson from the Big Bad
Sett Ra, or else he will Take Over the World
. To do so, O'Neal must step through the mirror and enter the dimension known as the Second World.Shaq-Fu
is frequently seen in "Worst Games of All Time" lists note
, mainly because of a ridiculous plot
and the Hitbox Dissonance
. The Angry Video Game Nerd
does a review
on it in Part 2 of his "Yet Another Christmas Carol
" episode, and there's even a website dedicated to finding all copies of the game and destroying them And another dedicated to finding all copies of the game and saving them
This game contains examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: The Sega Genesis version has more levels and characters. This version was ported to the Amiga for Europe only, though this version lacks the music.
- Alternate Dimension: The Second World.
- Always Night: Diesel's Stage, the Yasko Mines.
- Bare Your Midriff: Voodoo.
- Because Destiny Says So: Why Shaq's involved to begin with.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Leotsu, Rajah, Kaori and Nezu.
- Brick Joke: When you defeat Beast, he says he'll travel through time to stop you. In the ending, he shows up at the charity basketball game Shaq is supposed to play in.
- Cat Girl: Kaori.
- Cyborg: Colonel.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Voodoo.
- The Dragon: Beast.
- Dual Wielding: Rajah uses two swords.
- Hitbox Dissonance: You basically need to hit the center of your opponents to do any damage.
- I Know Madden Kombat: The profile says he's skilled in Shaquido.
- Nintendo Hard: Most notable in the sense of its shoddy controls and hit detection.
- Plot Hole: Leotsu, Nesu's grandfather, fights you on the first island and asks you to save his grandson, even though you met him in the gift shop.
- Also, when you face Sett Ra, Shaq tells him to release Nezu when he just saved him earlier.
- Shock and Awe: Memphis summons lightning as one of his special moves.
- SNK Boss: Sett Ra.
- Turns Red: Fury mode increases your attack power and turns your character red when you take major damage during the fight.