Video Game: Shadow Keep
A 1991 Mac Shareware RPG by Glenn Seemann. The Evil Overlord has stolen the Ankh from the Temple of Life, and without it the kingdom is doomed to a slow death.Not to be confused with Shadowkeep, the Alan Dean Foster novel and associated game from Trillium.
This game contains examples of:
- Cosmic Keystone: The Ankh of Life.
- Experience Points: Subverted; they're only good for Scoring Points.
- Evil Overlord: "The Evil Overlord"
- Fumbling The Gauntlet: Do not enter Shadow Keep with your weapon drawn.
- Game Over Man: The laughing cartoon demon superimposed over the interface when you die.
- Healing Potion
- Hit Points
- Interchangeable Antimatter Keys: "Magic Keys"
- Plot Coupon: Several.
- Regenerating Health
- Roaming Enemy: The outdoors is crawling with Giant Spiders, Scary Scorpions, and Goddamned Bats.
- Shareware: The author requests a "measly ten bucks" if you "don't want to burn in the fires of hell for all eternity".
- Shoplift and Die: The castle's treasure room.
- Shout-Out: John Kal Hune, who breeds aerial jousting steeds and flies paper airplanes.
- Sword of Plot Advancement: The Black Sword
- Trauma Inn
- Universal Poison: Averted; spider and scorpion venom have separate antidotes.
- We Buy Anything: Averted; a shop will only buy the same sorts of items it sells.
- When Trees Attack
- Wide Open Sandbox
- Wizard Needs Food Badly
- Wound That Will Not Heal (What the Black Sword does, which is needed to beat the Evil Overlord because he has a Healing Factor to the point of Nigh-Invulnerability)
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe