A little war in the brand-new EarthSUGURI
— The opening of SUGURI
is a horizontal Shoot 'em Up
for Windows PC developed by the doujin circle of Orange_Juice. It stars the title character, Suguri, a girl armed to the teeth with a variety of powerful weapons working to protect her home world from similarly adorable girls who are under orders to wipe out all life on the planet and take it as their own. The game features an auto-targeting system which allows the player to fire in directions other than the usual "straight ahead", a dashing system which can be used to charge up a Hyper Gauge to unleash a Hyper Attack
, a variety of unlockable weapons, and multiple different modes of gameplay.
A sequel, Acceleration of SUGURI
, and its expansion pack
, Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition
, were later released in Japan for PC. Unlike its predecessor, Acceleration of SUGURI
is a one-on-one hybrid of a Bullet Hell
shooter and a Fighting Game
, with both single-player modes with local and online multi-player modes. It features the same cast as the original game, and presents the player with short "Where Are They Now
" cutscenes for completing the Arcade Mode for certain characters of the game with a single credit. The X-Edition
expansion pack adds two additional story modes and multiple new characters.
The entire series has been localized to the United States by doujin game publisher Rockin' Android for PC with SUGURI - Perfect Edition
compilation and individually through digital distribution via GamersGate and Direct2Drive in 2009. Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition
was later released for the PlayStation 3
by Rockin' Android on February 15th, 2011 as a downloadable game on PlayStation Network
, which features new character artwork
by Keiko Sakurai, PlayStation Network Trophies
, and the ability to share replays on YouTube
, although it loses its online play unfortunately and certain character unlocking conditions
where changed for the PlayStation 3 version due to being a combination of both the base game and the expansion pack.
Rockin' Android later released an HD version
of Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition
for PC on DESURA
on June 25th, 2012 with the option of using the original or updated PlayStation Network graphics, higher native resolution, and the online multiplayer absent from PlayStation Network version. A digitally released compilation of the series along with their original soundtracks, aptly-named SUGURI Collection
, was released via Rice Digital
and has been greenlit
Feel free to check out Rockin' Android's official website for Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition here
See also sora
, a prequel series to the SUGURI
that was later released by the same circle in 2010 for PC during Comiket 78. Not to be confused with the Real Life
Japanese figure-skater, Fumie Suguri.
The SUGURI series provide examples of:
- After the End: The story setting of SUGURI. The planet is just starting to recover after the events from sora.
- All Just a Dream: The "Pudding Deity" storyline in Acceleration of SUGURI.
- An Ice Person: Kyoko.
- Art Shift: The PlayStation 3 version of Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition by Rockin' Android, due to Sony's Executive Meddling.
- Attack Drone: Laser "bits" are Nanako's primary weapon. Suguri can also use them.
- Axe Crazy: Pretty much everyone except Suguri in the first game.
- Background Boss: Robo in the first game during the second phase of the battle in Stage 6, and full-time as the final boss of Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition's "Falling Wonder" story.
- Bare Your Midriff: Kae.
- Barrier Warrior: Kyoko specializes in defensive tactics such as setting up barriers around her to reflect energy-based attacks back at her opponents.
- Battleship Raid: Stage 5.
- Beam Spam: Iru's specialty, although it's not the least bit limited to her.
- Berserk Button: Suguri didn't like being called a "shorty" by NoName in Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition.
- Bonus Boss: Sora in Acceleration of SUGURI if you can keep an A-Rank average or higher in every single match in Arcade Mode, in a single credit. Defeat her and she's yours.
- Boobs of Steel: Kae. She has a curvaceous and well-endowed figure, and most of the time she fights with her bare hands.
- Boss Game: An unlockable Match Mode in the original SUGURI can be played after clearing the game, in which you face against the all bosses in the game.
- Brown Eyes: QP.
- Bullet Hell: Both games, to a degree.
- Chain Pain: Hime uses chains in a couple of her attacks.
- Competitive Multiplayer: The VS. Mode of Acceleration of SUGURI, where players can fight against one another or against the computer.
- Compilation Re-release: Rockin' Android's SUGURI - Perfect Edition (retail PC-DVD) and SUGURI Collection (digitally distributed), compiling the first game and its spin-off along with the games' soundtracks.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: The A.I. really knows how to abuse Suguri (and her variants) to destroy players on Normal or Hard with cheap combo attacks.
- Critical Status Buff: Any time Kae's Heat percentage reaches 200% or higher, but she can use more powerful attacks that could also inflict burning status to her opponents. She can also set herself ablaze with her Spontaneous Combustion move and keep her Heat fixed at 200% temporarily.
- Curtains Match the Window: Saki, Nanako, Kae, and Kyoko.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After defeating Hime in the original game, she becomes friends with Suguri as they make their descent into Earth after stopping Shifu from destroying the planet.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Kae is capable of using clones of herself to attack her foes.
- Dual Wielding: Suguri-SP in Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition, she fights with two beam daggers.
- Expansion Pack: The X-Edition of Acceleration of SUGURI.
- Fiery Red Head: Kae.
- Final Boss: Hime in both games (unless you're playing as her Acceleration of SUGURI's Arcade Mode, then you face Suguri at the last stage).
- In the Story Mode of Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition, Robo is one in the "Falling Wonder" storyline; and in the "Pudding Deity" story, QP is also a final boss.
- Follow the Leader: Acceleration of SUGURI was released shortly a few months after Senko no Ronde debuted at arcades in Japan in 2006.
- Hair Decorations: Hime.
- Harem Seeker: NoName wants to use to the girls to fulfill his dream harem.
- Gameplay Grading: In both games, your performance is graded by remaining Armor (life), how quickly you've beaten the stage/opponent, and the damage you've done.
- Rank Inflation: Your overall performance is graded as such. Ranks go by Rank E, D, C, B, A, S, and P.
- Genki Girl: Saki, Kae and QP.
- Graphics-Induced Super-Deformed
- Green Eyes: Sora.
- Guest Fighter: QP is not from SUGURI, but a character from a lesser-known vertical shoot 'em up also from Orange_Juice called QPShooting.
- High Altitude Battle: The late stages of the original game eventually takes Suguri well above Earth's atmosphere.
- Humongous Mecha: Robo.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Kyoko.
- Idiot Hair: Saki. Also subverted with Suguri.
- Improbable Use of a Weapon: In Acceleration of SUGURI, Saki uses a grenade... as a melee weapon. It has a 25% chance of exploding.
- Improbably Female Cast: With Shifu and NoName being the series' stand-outs.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Iru.
- Jill-of-All-Stats: Suguri.
- Laser Blade: One of Suguri's signature weapons. Sora also makes use of one.
- Lethal Joke Character: QP, an adorable little puppy girl. She's the most powerful character in Acceleration of SUGURI.
- Limit Break: The Hyper Attacks of SUGURI: the Accel Hypers in Acceleration of SUGURI takes this even further.
- The Lost Woods: Stage 1 in SUGURI and the Forest stage in Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition takes place above one.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: NoName, who is a complete pervert unlike his creator Shifu.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Available to Suguri via the Launcher.
- Mecha-Mooks: Many of the lesser mechanical enemies you face.
- Megane: Shifu and NoName.
- Meganekko: Kyoko.
- Mystical White Hair: Suguri.
- No Continue Run: Required to unlock most of the extra characters in Acceleration of SUGURI and the expansion pack, as well as the extra stories.
- Odd Job God: QP is the goddess of pudding.
- Off with His Head!: Happens (off-screen) to NoName in Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition's "Falling Wonder" storyline.
- Oh Crap: Kyoko's reaction after realising that as Shifu's (former) subordinates, Kyoko and the other girls must unwillingly obey NoName due to his creator's resemblance.
- Older than They Look: Suguri is
at least 20-years-old over 10,000-years-old by the start of the series.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Shifu.
- Personality Powers: Kyoko is a calm and collected ice-user, and Kae is a Hot-Blooded fire-user.
- Petting Zoo People: QP.
- Physical God: Hime and QP.
- Playing with Fire: Kae, again.
- Psychotic Smirk: Kae bares one just fighting Suguri in the original game.
- Razor Wind: Kae can unleash these.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Kae and Hime. Also subverted with Suguri.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Kae and Kyoko, respectively.
- Regional Bonus: Rockin' Android's SUGURI - Perfect Edition compilation, an English-localized bundle of the entire SUGURI series that also includes the TRANCENATION of SUGURI and Hoshi no Kakera ~acceleration of SUGURI sound track~ original soundtracks onto the installation disc. The SUGURI Collection via Rice Digital and Steam does the same for digital distribution.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: NoName, and a perverted one with a fetish for women's shapely legs at that.
- Robot Me: NoName to Shifu.
- Shout-Out: The PlayStation Network version of Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition has Trophies that references famous catch phrases and one-liners from movies. Some examples includes "There Can Be Only One" and "Float Like A Butterfly".
- Space Zone: The Thermosphere stage in Acceleration of SUGURI takes place above Earth's atmosphere.
- Spoiled By The Manual: In Rockin' Android's official website for Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition, four of the unlockable characters (Hime, Sora, NoName, and QP) are all silhouetted with any information on them labeled with "TOP SECRET", yet the downloadable manual for the PlayStation Network version reveals the characters appearance with descriptions about them.
- Spread Shot: The aptly-named Spread gun in SUGURI.
- Sprite/Polygon Mix: The backgrounds and some the effects are in 3D while using 2D sprites for the characters and enemies.
- Stone Wall: Kyoko's dashing speed isn't as good as the others, but she specializes in defense.
- Super Move Portrait Attack: In the original SUGURI when a Hyper Attack is unleashed.
- Sword and Gun: Suguri with a melee weapon and a gun.
- Sword Beam: One of Suguri's Hyper Attacks in Acceleration of SUGURI.
- Tareme Eyes: Suguri, Saki, Iru, Nanako, Kae, Hime, and QP.
- Team Mom: Kyoko.
- Tomboy: Iru.
- Token Mini-Moe: Nanako.
- Tsurime Eyes: Kyoko and Sora.
- Under the Sea: Some parts of Stage 2.
- Updated Re-release: Rockin' Android's Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition HD for PC gives player the option of the original or the updated PlayStation 3 graphics, better control scheme customization, with the addition of higher resolutions than the original and widescreen support.
- Victory Quote: Everyone has a few in Acceleration of SUGURI, with the exception of Sora.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Beam Rifle's Hyper Attack in the original SUGURI. Suguri also used one to destroy Shifu and his colony to prevent it from colliding into the Earth in said game.
- It's also a Hyper Attack to Suguri, Iru, Hime, and Robo in Acceleration of SUGURI.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Played straight with Kyoko. Iru has lime-green hair, and Nanako has purple hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Suguri and Hime are both ranking in at grade-A.