is a video game released by Cinemaware
. It is an Alternate History Science Fiction
work, where Germany made a sudden technological advancement in 1940, gaining the ability to construct rockets and chemical bombs. The protagonist, a brilliant scientist working at Fort Dix, is working in his laboratory late one night when five objects spontaneously appear on his desk before his eyes; A Rocket Pack
, a Pistol
, a Strange Looking Wristwatch
, a disc labeled SECRET DECODER WHEEL
, and a book with the title, "ROCKET PACK INSTRUCTIONS
"One hundred years ago, the Nazis won World War II. It was a mistake. But you can correct it..."
This work provides examples of:
- All Crimes Are Equal: Lawful Evil kind.
- Applied Phlebotinum: The Lunarium is mined on the moon, and is used to create bombs that lowers intelligence in males and makes them sterile. The result is that any effective resistance is eliminated.
- Copy Protection: Justified, as it's used to determine how much fuel you need to use the rocket. Note that it must be exact, as putting in too much causes you to either fly to a random location or overshoot the target.
- Damsel in Distress
- Dialogue Tree
- Expy: The whole concept is rather blatant take on The Rocketeer comic book (the game predates the movie adaptation).
- In-Universe Game Clock: In the War Room, it only takes ~10-15 seconds for a month to pass. Spy reports generally take that long to announce. When travelling, time advances only on world travel.
- Non-Lethal K.O.: You can get shot down by airplanes, but at worst, it kicks you to another country. However, missing the Copy Protection causes death.
- No Swastikas: Some versions replace the Germans with an Interplanetary facist regime. Or replace Germans with aliens.
- Police State
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: The whole point of the game. The protagonist is sent the Rocket Ranger gear by an unknown, possibly extraterrestrial party from one hundred years in the future.
- Subtitles Are Superfluous: While there's plenty of text, the few voiced scenes have no text.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Main antagonists.