Video Game / Robotech: Battlecry
, published by TDK Interactive, follows the story of VF-1 Valkyrie pilot Jack Archer, who fights in the war against the Zentraedi.
This video game provides examples of:
- Big Bad: Zeraal, after the Rain of Death.
- Blood Knight: Kiyora.
- Cel Shading
- Downer Ending: Jack is stranded in Space, and as the narration finishes, he starts coughing due to lack of air.
- Elsewhere Fic: This game is an Elsewhere Fic in video game form, as the characters from the anime only make a few appearances.
- Escort Mission
- Face–Heel Turn: Skaarde, who gives intel to Jack because Jack saved Skaarde from Hiro.
- Framing Device: The narration is revealed to be Jack making an audio log of the events of the game minutes before dying from lack of oxygen.
- Macross Missile Massacre:
- Original Character: Jack Archer.
- Saved by Canon: An Easter Egg in Robotech: Invasion is some graffiti reading "Jack is Alive!"
- The Resolution Will Not Be Identified: At the end, Jack is left stranded near Saturn. It is not revealed if a rescue ship arrives in time to save his life.
- Time Skip: 75% of season 1 is skipped; Justified as Jack's fighter was Portal Cut by the Hyperspace Fold and he was only along for the ride during the first and last 3 episodes. Enforced by Harmony Gold not being legally allowed to make derivative works based on Super Dimension Fortress Macross and that was as much as they could get away with.