A Point-and-Click Adventure Game
, Reactor 09
tells the story of Clyde Galivan, a former scientist who finds himself arrested and thrown into jail for life. With his strictly by the book CO Matthew keeping a close watch on him, he's stuck mopping floors and needing permission just to access the supply room... until a mysterious earthquake rocks the entire complex.
A major part of gameplay is that Galivan must earn Matthew's trust
. Even in a crisis, Matthew insists on following rules and regulations, and isn't too keen on letting Galivan carry around potentially harmful items like pipes or scissors.
This Adventure Game
contains examples of:
- By-the-Book CO: Matthew.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Andrew Marson
- Curse Cut Short: Walters really doesn't like being called 'princess', but her threat to "cut off your ear and shove it up your—" gets interrupted by Matthew.
- Faking the Dead: Part of Andrew's plan.
- Four Is Death: District 4 is rocked by a reactor explosion, along with District 5, though the former is noted to be closer. Subverted, however, in that Matt's partner Jacob survived.
- Heavy Sleeper: Stafford, who is found sleeping in a restroom stall in the quake-ridden Reactor 09. Lampshaded by your incredulous CO.
- Give Me Your Inventory Item: Matt doesn't like Galivan carrying certain items, and insists on holding them himself. Notably, since he's following you around, you can then ask him to use them in your stead.
- Mexican Standoff: During the climax, Matt faces off with Marson.
- Multiple Endings: Which primarily depend on how much Matthew trusts you and whether or not you've collected certain items.
- Not So Different: Both Galivan and Walters insist their convictions are a Miscarriage of Justice and they're innocent of the crimes they were accused of. Not that Irene appreciates having that pointed out by the 'lifer'.
- Relationship Values
- Straight Gay: Rumors around the prison peg Matt as this, which Galivan asks him about in the prologue.