Video Game: RBI Baseball
RBI Baseball is a baseball game that was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System in November 1988. It was originally known as Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium in Japan, though renamed to RBI Baseball. With only an MLBPA licence, it features only the U.S. team names. Several sequels were made for the NES, Sega Genesis, and Super NES.In 2014, Major League Baseball bought the rights to the name to make their own annual baseball game. RBI Baseball 14 was released in April 2014 on Xbox 360/One, PS3/4, Android, and iOS. RBI Baseball 15 is due to be released in April 2015 on Xbox One, PS4, Android, iOS, and Steam.Tropes found in the NES RBI Baseball games:
- Celebration Fanfare: A short tune will play after a player hits an out-of-the-park home run.
- Colour Coded Armies: All of the teams have a palette scheme that closely resembles their official team colours.
- Head Bonk: After an error, the victimised player will have the ball bounce off his head.
- In Name Only: Because Tengen only got hold of the MLBPA, the teams are represented only by the city name.
- Market-Based Title
- Gretzky Has the Ball: Rich Gedman, Dan Heep and George Brett are all presented as right-handed batters. In real life, they were left-handed batters.
- Joke Character: Rafael Santana, Willie Randolph and Al Pedrique, among others, are players who should be substituted immediately.
- ROM Hack: This is one of the most popular NES games to be modified because of a game editor that changes just about everything in the game.