A Platform Game by cactus... so you already know it's gonna be weird.Psychosomnium is a short, quite surreal story, telling the story of Jimmy, or rather, Jimmy's dream and the people who inhabit it, struggling with a mysterious unexplained problem.Basically, it's your typical cute dream in video game form. It can be played online here or downloaded here.
The game features the following tropes:
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Triggered several times by the death of the character you're controlling right now; you then become the character who witnessed that death.
- Cutting the Knot: The rabbits demand carrots that don't exist... so you have to kill yourself where Mitch can see, at which point he'll take over and punch the rabbits to death for blocking his path.
- Difficulty Spike: McBee's part—the spike-covered corridor.
- Dream Land: Jimmy's short dream.
- Fetch Quest: Subverted. A trio of rabbits demands carrots before they'll let you pass. They then mention, however, that carrots don't exist, and thus you're doomed to failure.
- Gainax Ending: The castle is the wizard. Roll credits. Well, it's a dream, after all.
- Genius Loci: The ending. The wizard is actually his own castle, apparently.
- Gonk: Shirley, for being the only female in the game, looks quite grotesque.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Mitch.
- Graphics-Induced Super-Deformed: Pretty much everyone has very big heads.
- Killer Rabbit: Rabbits who kill you by touching.
- Masocore: In its "proper" definition, "player death as narrative technique".
- Species Surname: McBee.
- Spikes of Doom: Tiny, triangular, cute spikes which instantly kill you.
- Video Game Demake: In the form of Microsomnium, imitating Game & Watch.