An upcoming JRPG
with a squad based RTS
game design, Project Phoenix is being developed by Creative Intelligent Arts
Inc and set to be released in 2015. The project was put forth
on August 12th, 2013 and got fully funded on the same day, finishing a month later with just over $1M raised.
Azuregard is a world that is slowly slipping into chaos. The Empire's power is being threatened both by orc raiders and human outcasts, while the elves look to the stars to predict what lies ahead of the troubled times. Marcus Stern, a Templar, finds the amnesiac angel "Ruffles," and sets out on a quest. They are quickly joined by the elven Pathfinder Sylrianah and the human battlemage known as Zarum the Lost. Together, they must discover the secrets of their world.
Tropes to be found in the game:
- Amnesiac Heroine: Ruffles, an angel with amnesia at the start of the game.
- The Alcoholic: Gorek tends to drink a lot.
- Archer Archetype: Sylrianah combines keeping a cool head at all times with deadly sniper precision.
- Big Fun: Gorek Greyhelm is a massive dwarf and a jovial spirit.
- BFS: On all the concept art, Marcus' zweihänder is depicted about the same size as his (rather tall) self.
- Bold Explorer: Sylrianah is driven by the desire to see the world.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The yet-unrevealed tragedy that motivated Marcus to join the Templars.
- Drop the Hammer: Gorek wields a giant Stormhammer in combat.
- Eyepatch of Power: Satsuki wears one, although it's yet to be revealed what happened to her eye.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Archetypally, Marcus wields a two-handed sword.
- Hot-Blooded: Marcus is described as short-tempered.
- The Knights Templar: Their fantastic counterpart is dubbed "Death Templars".
- Lady of War: Satsuki is a kind, thoughtful, and introspective young samurai woman who wields a katana in battle.
- Magic Wand: Ruffles is depicted with a staff/wand on official artworks, quite fitting her background.
- Mystical White Hair: Ruffles—we know she's an angel, but besides that, everything about her is a mystery.
- Our Angels Are Different: Other than the fact that they can apparently be stricken with amnesia (and be main party members), little is known about them.
- Our Orcs Are Different: Seem to be standard fantasy Always Chaotic Evil barbarian hordes, but time will tell.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Zarum has a reputation for leaving only ashes behind if pissed off.
- The Pollyanna: Ruffles strives to always see things in positive light and help others do the same.
- Pride: Gorek's flaw.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something:
- Badass Princess: Sylrianah Tyrnearaheal is an Elven Princess driven by the desire to see the world outside of the home forests.
- Warrior Prince: Marcus Stern is the second prince of Izaria, who chose to join the Death Templars—which, in a twist, alienated him from the rest of the royal family.
- Samurai: Satsuki Kagamizu, an onna-bugeisha (female samurai).
- Stealth Expert: This is Sylrianah's role in the party.
- The Stoic:
- Like most elves in the setting, Sylrianah is described as calm, cool, and collected.
- Likewise, Satsuki is earnest and serious to the point of No Sense of Humor.
- Thigh-High Boots: Sylrianah's outfit on the concept art.
- Winged Humanoid: Ruffles is an angel, though her wings are rather small, more like a cupid's than a real avian's.
- Woman in White: Ruffles, being an angel she is, is clothed entirely in white.