Videogame: Out Of Hell
A first person survival horror game set in the fictional town of Grinwood. You play a cop from a neighboring town named Donovan Ling, sent back to his old stomping grounds to investigate a garbled transmission from the Grinwood Police. Upon arrival, the entire town is burning, barricaded, and overrun with zombies. Things go downhill from there.A complete total conversion for Unreal Tournament 2004, it was made almost entirely by one guy over the course of seven years with a professional musician providing the soundtrack.Can be attained here.
Tropes in this game include:
- Always Night: Averted, a nice change for a zombie game. While there are nighttime sequences, you spend much of the first half of the game in a bleary, cloudy autumn daylight, and part of the second half takes place during the day, albeit heavily overcast.
- Apocalyptic Log: Mostly in the police station.
- Ax-Crazy: Well, you get an axe. And you'd be crazy to actually use it. Does that count?
- Badass Normal: Donovan. He seems to get over the whole zombie thing fairly quickly.
- Chainsaw Good: Subverted. There's a chainsaw in the basement of the apartments, but you can't get to it.
- Distress Call: How Donovan wound up in this mess in the first place.
- Downer Ending: And how.
- Everybody's Dead Dave: Most of them, anyway.
- Fake Difficulty: Frame rates and level geometry are far more dangerous than actual zombies.
- Game Mod: Total Conversion type and pushes the UT2K4 engine to its limits. The current version is a vast improvement since the demo that was released before the full mod.
- Guide Dang It: It's easy to get lost on some maps.
- Kill It with Fire: Averted. There's a note in the police station that states that use of fire is prohibited because the zombies just keep walking and burning everything they touch.
- Mega Corp.: Just one of the many possible causes of the zombie rampage.
- Nuke 'em: See Downer Ending.
- When Trees Attack: There's a reason the town is called Grinwood.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Duh.
- Zombie Gait: Averted in that the zombies tend to walk pretty quickly.