Video Game: Normal Super Mario Bros
Normal Super Mario Bros. is a faithful recreation of the original Super Mario Bros. by gamester. The goal of the game is to get Mario through World 1-1 and...that's it. Really.What, were you expecting something more?...Okay, we lied. Normal Super Mario Bros. is an insanely trippy parody of the original Super Mario Bros. that only looks like a faithful recreation on the surface. However, the minute Mario opens a suspiciously colorful block and receives a Fuzzy, he finds himself in an even more insane Mushroom Kingdom than before.It currently has two sequels, dealing with Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 and starring Toad and Luigi respectively. You can find all three games on Mario Fan Games Galaxy:
These games provide examples of:
- Advancing Boss of Doom: Bowser from the film attacks you in this manner in NSMB1. Subverted when Lakitu comes in to throw missiles at him.
- Band Land: In Normal Super Mario Bros. 2, entering the door created by the very first potion in the game leads you to a Mario Paint Composer area. That same area even has musical notes flying in the background!
- Brick Joke: Early on in NSMB1, Toad shows up to help Mario fend off some awesome faces, only to get his ride destroyed by an Angry Sun. In the next game's Unexpected Shmup Level, Toad once again fights the awesome faces and Angry Sun. This time, though, Toad wins!
- Captain Obvious: "I think you ran out of health."
- Giant Foot of Stomping: Appears in each game to crush the current protagonist, or (in the case of NSMB3) cause the game to crash.
- Mushroom Samba: The entire point of each game.
- Non-Indicative Name: None of these games are normal by any means.
- Reference Overdosed: Yes. Just for a brief example, Each game has the Fuzzy to start things off.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Mario and Toad get crushed by giant feet at the end of NSMB1/NSMB2, just as they finish the levels.
- Turns Red: In NSMB2, Birdo transforms into Ridley upon getting hit with her own egg. In this form, she barfs up peace symbols and bombs, the latter of which you can also throw back at her.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: Mario is forced to fight Sub-Zero at one point in NSMB1. In NSMB2, Toad takes a rocket to fight awesome faces and an Angry Sun.
- Written Sound Effect: Certain actions are noted with words in the third game, like "damage!", "coin!", and "stomp!".