Video Game / Noahs Ark
is a video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System
made by Konami. Despite being based on the Noah's Ark story from the Bible
, it takes quite
a few liberties with the story. The game was only released in PAL territories, thanks to Nintendo of America's strict rules regarding depictions of religion.
In the game, you play as Noah, who has to rescue 7 selected animals around the world who are captured by native people.
Naturally, the whole game takes place during the flood and the water slowly rises throughout the stages.
Tropes in that game
- 1-Up: Baby Noah pickup gives an extra life.
- Animorphism: When Noah has a fish powerup, he turns into a fish when he's under water.
- Asteroids Monster: A giant lizard in Oceania stage which splits into several smaller ones upon death.
- Bonus Stage: Has to be found in the world by shooting at one hidden spot. Here, all the icons have to be collected before the screen is completely flooded.
- Bottomless Pits
- Circling Birdies: Star version can be seen after death.
- Collision Damage: Hurts more than getting his by projectiles.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Almost all the wildlife, spikes, native people, inanimate objects etc. Most of the wildlife can shoot projectiles.
- Flash of Pain
- Giant Spider: The largest of them is North American stage boss.
- Goomba Stomp: A lot of the enemies can be stomped on. Granite powerup makes this ability stronger.
- Heart Symbol: These are seen coming out from the pair of animals before one gets captured and the other one falls off the screen.
- Inexplicable Treasure Chests: One can be found per level falling from the sky. Can be simply collected or shot for variable amount of coins.
- Invincibility Power-Up: Black vial which makes Noah invincible and kills everyone he touches.
- Last Ditch Move: Snails, when hit, try to throw their shell at Noah when they're not hit again.
- Poison Mushroom: Blinking vial which either downgrades weapons, takes away a powerup currently in effect or removes some of the life bar.
- Snowlems: Boss in Antarctica stages.
- Spikes of Doom: These obviously hurt.
- The Spiny: Hedgehogs, ice cubes and a few other enemies are not safe to stomp.
- Springs, Springs Everywhere: This game has springboards for some reason.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Noah has got an impressive lung capacity which is more than needed.
- Temporary Platform: There are thin platforms which disappear when stepped on.
- Time Stands Still: The snowflake powerup.
- Treasure Is Bigger in Fiction: Large gems can be found after defeating a sub-boss, boss or when completing a bonus stage. Very large gemstones can be found when defeating the bosses after having collected all non-hidden icons in the stage or when completing the bonus stage. Coins found in treasure chests are also unusually large.
- Video Game Flight: The feather powerup which grant Noah wings and an ability to fly for a short time.