Fight, Nezumi Man! For everlasting cheese!Nezumi Man
is a homage
of the classic NES Mega Man
games, starring a rat who can run, slide, jump and shoot
like the Blue Bomber himself. His goal is to stop the plans of Big Bad
Dr. Gyoniku and his henchmen, along with seven other rat and ratlike characters. And a kangaroo whose name means "rabbit"
This game is surprising for its lower difficulty compared to other Mega-clones, especially once you figure out the patterns of the bosses (or figure out their weaknesses
). Despite this, it's still fun to play, mostly because of the completely original concept
The original website for the game seems to be unavailable, but there is a mirror to download the game here
Tropes not already covered by Mega Man include:
- After Boss Recovery: If the player beats a stage with fewer than two extra lives, they'll refill to provide a couple of chances to tackle the next stage.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Ice and Smoke Nezumi, the former being a fridge, the latter a puff of smoke, both with rat faces.
- Arcadia: Butter Nezumi's stage. Well, almost.
- Art Shift: Delay Nezumi's face is noticeably different from the other "Nezumi" characters.
- Barrier Warrior: Butter Nezumi, whose weapon is the Butter Barrier.
- Battle Boomerang: The monkeys in Usagi's stage wield bananas as boomerangs.
- Cartoon Cheese: The large health pick-ups take this form. Sadly, the large weapon energy items are not "blue" cheese.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Aside from Nezumi Man changing color for each weapon like Mega Man, the bulbous cannon enemies have different colors to identify the types of projectiles they shoot.
- Cosmetic Award: Each weapon you get from a boss also comes with a piece of costume for Nezumi Man's swag, which he wears on the "weapon get" screen. The full costume's also his armor in Special mode.
- Crouch and Prone: Nezumi Man does have the ability to crouch, unlike classic Mega Man.
- Eye Beams: The Final Boss has them in the second form.
- An Ice Person: Ice Nezumi, who wields the Ice Lance.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Dragon Nezumi.
- Lethal Lava Land: Dragon Nezumi's stage takes place in a Volcano Lair.
- Let's Play:
- raocow has managed to finish one.
- Since this game is like Mega Man, Roahm Mythril has done a series of Perfect Run videos for it. Unlike most Mega Man games, he even did the endgame stages, including the Special stage!
- Making a Splash: Wave Nezumi, wielder of the Shock Wave.
- Meaningful Name: Everyone whose name contains "Nezumi" is a rat (or has a rat face—see Animate Inanimate Object above), since that word is Japanese for "rat". Also, Dr Gyoniku's name means "fish meat", which probably explains why he looks like the way he is.
- Mega Neko: The giant maneki neko boss of Gyoniku Stage 3. Then again, the hero is a rat.
- Mouse World: Dr. Gyoniku's secret lair appears to be in some sort of two-star motel. Actually, it's the doghouse next door.
- No Cartoon Fish: Well, none that aren't Dr. Gyoniku or his mecha-machines.
- Non Indicative Name: Usagi's name is Japanese for "rabbit", despite being a kangaroo.
- Odd Name Out: Usagi again, being the only one of the main eight bosses without "Nezumi" in the name. And is also the only non-rat in the group.
- Prison Episode: Delay Nezumi's stage is one of them, with all the atmosphere of a generic medieval dungeon. Even the boss wears jailhouse stripes and has an ugly mug to match.
- Stealth Pun: Milky * Nezumi, the boss who shoots out stars.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Usagi the kangaroo in the lower-right corner of the stage select screen. Not a rat, nor is there a "Nezumi" in the name.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: Downplayed with the Special stage unlocked from completing the game — it's still a side-scrolling platformer, but the design resembles a different Capcom franchise. Namely, Ghosts 'n Goblins.
- Widget Series: Or at least a Widget Game.
- You Dirty Rat: Zig-zagged in that both the hero and most of the main antagonists are rats. But even the enemy rats have the same cute face as the player character.