Series of twin stick shooters made by Shin'en (FAST Racing League
and Jett Rocket
) for Nintendo 3DS
and Wii U
. First 3DS game was released in retail in 2011 in North America
. Year later sequel was released at launch of Wii U
as eShop release. Also first 3DS game is getting an updated worldwide eShop release called Nano Assault EX in late 2012.
3DS game mixes up twin stick gameplay formula with Starfox-like
sequences, while Wii U game has a more developed score system and "F-Zero
in a tube"-like bonus rounds.
Nano Assault provides examples of:
- AttackDrones: one of the power-ups in Neo
- Attack Its Weak Point: most bosses feature highly visible glowing pulsating red weak points
- Baby Planet: you clean microscopic bodies from all kinds of bad bacteria and viruses by traversing it's surface Super Mario Galaxy-style
- Boss Subtitles: the way bosses introduced.
- Collapsing Lair: when you destroy 90% of enemy organisms in Neo, level starts collapsing and you have to reach escape spot to get out or won't get any bonus points. This makes reaching 100% completion challenging because you have to find and kill the last 10% AND get to the exit spot, all within 30 seconds.
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot
- No Export for You: first 3DS game was never released in retail in Europe, where it was actually made. It's getting a digital eShop release, though, even if a full year after.
- Spiritual Successor: to Shin'en's previous vertical shmups Nanostray on Nintendo DS.