Series of twin stick shooters made by Shin'en (FAST Racing League and Jett Rocket) for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. First 3DS game was released in retail in 2011 in North America. Year later sequel was released at launch of Wii U as eShop release. Also first 3DS game is getting an updated worldwide eShop release called Nano Assault EX in late 2012.3DS game mixes up twin stick gameplay formula with Starfox-like sequences, while Wii U game has a more developed score system and "F-Zero in a tube"-like bonus rounds.
Nano Assault provides examples of:
- AttackDrones: one of the power-ups in Neo
- Attack Its Weak Point: most bosses feature highly visible glowing pulsating red weak points
- Baby Planet: you clean microscopic bodies from all kinds of bad bacteria and viruses by traversing it's surface Super Mario Galaxy-style
- Boss Subtitles: the way bosses introduced.
- Collapsing Lair: when you destroy 90% of enemy organisms in Neo, level starts collapsing and you have to reach escape spot to get out or won't get any bonus points. This makes reaching 100% completion challenging because you have to find and kill the last 10% AND get to the exit spot, all within 30 seconds.
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot
- No Export for You: first 3DS game was never released in retail in Europe, where it was actually made. It's getting a digital eShop release, though, even if a full year after.
- Spiritual Successor: to Shin'en's previous vertical shmups Nanostray on Nintendo DS.