Fighting is Magic's logoMy Little Pony: Fighting is Magic
was a fanmade Fighting Game
being developed by Mane6
. It featured characters from the first season of the TV series My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
. However, due to copyright issues, the work will feature new characters that are unrelated to Friendship Is Magic
A version of the game featuring the Mane 6 from Friendship Is Magic
was to be released in the near future, and other characters would then be added through updates. The final version of the game was to feature 17 characters.
There is a forum discussion about it here
. A state-of-the-state overview of the game can be found here
See also Super Smash Ponies
, another fighting game based on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Production was halted
on February 8th 2013 due to a cease and desist order from Hasbro
, while Mane6 are attempted legal negotiations. On March 2nd of 2013, Mane6 revealed
that, although their efforts to get special permission from Hasbro to continue the game have met with nothing but dead ends, they still plan to finish the game in a different form (but retaining all of the game mechanics). To that end, Lauren Faust herself
has joined the Mane6 team to design all-new characters. Also on March 27, 2013, the Skullgirls
Indiegogo campaign raised $725,000 USD, allowing Mane6 use of that game's engine for free. In January 2014, Lauren Faust revealed the first un-finalized character design design for a reindeer character.
A Tribute Edition of this game (with complete character designs for Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy) can be found here
Anything that has not been officially confirmed goes on the Wild Mass Guessing page.
My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic contained examples of: (Character-specific tropes go here)
- Autobots, Rock Out!: Rainbow Dash's stage theme.
- Badass Adorable: Pretty much everyone.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Well, it WAS a fighting game featuring the cast of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- Even without the Friendship is Magic cast, the idea of quadrupedal fighters offers some unique ideas.
- Downer Ending: The cease and desist being a meta one...
- Determinator: The dev team. Even though the C&D rendered the game's fate uncertain and was no doubt a major blow to them, they later stated "We aren't done yet regardless of how this turns out, so please stay tuned".
- Divorced Installment: A necessary evil, due to the C&D - Lauren Faust's new character designs will have nothing to do with Friendship is Magic at all.
- Executive Meddling: The development team was slapped with a cease and desist order by Hasbro's lawyers, which has halted production indefinitely (Or at least in its current incarnation).
- Fixed Floor Fighting
- Fighting Your Friend: The developers promised a good reason for this when it still used the Mane 6.
- Improbable Weapon User: Twilight uses a book, Rarity uses design supplies & accessories, AJ uses a lasso, and Pinkie uses everything her Party Cannon shoots out. Angel and the rest of Fluttershy's animal friends are used for her special attacks
- It is unknown at this time if the new characters will have these traits or not.
- Game Mod: There are a couple of bronies who want to continue with the original project and did so, by making Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy playable.
- Launcher Move: All characters have at least one, performed by pressing down-forward and heavy attack.
- Lethal Joke Character: On a stream posted February 21, Fluttershy was shown briefly. Though she's obviously far from complete and has only one move, that move is the Stare.
- Leitmotif: Each of the characters have music inspired by songs from the show.
- Limit Break: Each character has Level 1 and Level 3 supers. Some have a Level 2 super as well, normally the Level 1 with something extra added on. We don't know how the new version of the game will handle this yet.
- Mana Meter: Each character has a magic meter that fills up when certain conditions are met. Magic is used to enhance certain attacks.
- Medium Awareness: Two victory quotes:
- Twilight: "Dear Princess Celestia, today I learned what O.T.G. means."note
- Pinkie: "I won! The screen says I won!"
- Perfect Play AI: The CPU-controlled Twilight during the second livestream, according to the devs.
- Power Creep, Power Seep: Inevitable. Twilight Sparkle is the both incredibly gifted and extensively studied student of magic of Celestia, but her experience is combat is paltry at best. Rainbow Dash is one of the fastest pegasi in Equestria, but also has demonstrated no real combat proficiency. Applejack is quite strong and fit, but a good deal of her time is devoted to the management of a farm. Pinkie Pie has Reality Warper powers, but the show demonstrates that she's generally unable to use them to any practical effect. Rarity isn't afraid to get in a fight to defend herself, but would rather rely on her wit and charm. And worst is Fluttershy, who can become aggressive when pushed, but is basically a pacifist more often than not. In just the main six characters, fighting potential ranges from very high to none at all.
- Running Gag: When talking about what types of controllers can be used for the game during the second live-stream, using a DDR pad to play is jokingly brought up. The Mane6 then proceed to joke about people actually USING it, asking anyone who does to post it on YouTube.
- Scenery Porn: This blog post shows that the backgrounds will be insanely detailed and destructible. How much will be changed in the new version remains to be seen.
- Shout-Out: Has its own page.
- Sixth Ranger: Lauren joined Mane Six to help with a Spiritual Successor
- Teleport Spam: Twilight Sparkle is capable of this, as is Pinkie Pie, although Pinkie just runs off one end of the screen and wraps around to the other side. She's also somehow able to run off the side of the screen and deliver an elbow drop from above.
- Versus Character Splash: Not as of yet before the fight, but rather the characters each have a splendid splash art portrait in the character selection screen.
- Implemented into the character select screen as of Canterlot Gardens tournament.
- Victory Quote: Most of the mane 6 have several.
- Wings Do Nothing: Purposely averted by the dev team, who state that pegasi will be able to make use of their wings.