Video Game / Muppet Monster Adventure
A Playstation game released in 2000 and created by Magenta Software and Jim Henson Interactive. Muppet Monster Adventure tells a tale where Kermit and friends are invited to go to Dr. Honeydew's uncle's estate. Kermit's nephew, Robin is less than enthusiastic, proclaiming that the place creeps him out. As the main door opens a shadowy figure steps out, and Robin faints with fright. When he awakes he finds that all of the muppets except for Pepe, Dr. Honeydew, Beaker, and himself, have been turned into monsters of different sorts. To get them back to normal He must use a special glove and backpack to gain evil energy from the variety of enemies roaming about, and use it to transform his friends back to normal.
This game provides examples of:
- Abnormal Ammo: The Ballistic Chicken Launcher
- All Just a Dream: After you beat the game, it's revealed that the entire plot of the game was this. The shadowy figure who made Robin faint was a butler who worked for Dr. Honeydew's uncle.
- Exposition Fairy: Pepe. If Robin comes close enough to one of his flags, he will appear to give advice. Sometimes, he will give missions and reward you with tokens.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Literally everything, even bits of scenery. Some of the enemies are as follows: tombstones, cacti, scarecrows, pumpkins, sewage managing robots, etc...
- Follow the Leader: Of Super Mario 64 and especially Spyro the Dragon.
- Free Rotating Camera: Left and right, anyway.
- Game-Over Man: If you run out of lives, Robin faces you in front of the transitional time and space void along with the option to continue or quit.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: There is a mission where you have to collect shells and Pepe will open it by saying his grandpa used to say, "War is shell."
- Loading Screen: There are two types; one is a generic "Loading" with a Kermit head logo. The other type, used when Robin is teleporting to another level (or back to the hub), shows Robin bounding through a glowing, neon-colored time and space void.
- Monster Mash: There's a vampire (Nose-feratu), a werebeast (Wocka-Wocka-Werebear), a Frankenstein's Monster (Ker-Monster), a Bride of Frankenstein (Goulfriend of Ker-Monster) and a swamp creature (Muck Monster).
- Most of these are available in the first few levels as transformations for Robin.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Robin's Wocka-Wocka Werebear transformation, Wocka-Wocka Werebear himself, and several Killer Rabbit enemies that become muscular when they notice you.
- Pass Through the Rings: A few of the mini-games to unlock tokens consists of this.
- Recurring Riff: Many music tracks in the game are variations of The Muppet Show theme song. Appropriately, many of them are also played in a minor key.
- Shifting Sand Land: "Molten Mayhem".
- Shout-Out: Pepe often references pop culture when you approach him for advice.
- Spin Attack: One of Robin's attacks is a spin move.
- Temple of Doom: "Temple of Pork".