Video Game: Mortyr
Mortyr 2093-1944 is a Polish first person shooter game created by Mirage, released in 1999.Set in Alternate History, the game begins in 2093, nearly one and a half century after an unexpected Nazi victory in 1945. The Nazis won the War in the course of a winter offensive that swept Europe, leaving four fifths of its territory under Reich control, and later the destruction of Moscow and occupation of Washington, DC. Such a victory was brought upon, it is said, by a Wunderwuffe of mysterious power.However, as usual, the Nazi victory did not make the world a better place. No sir, by 2093, the totalitarian worldwide Reich is wrought by weather storms and seems to be nearing closer and closer to Armageddon. A political dissident, General Jurgen Mortyr, sends his son, Sebastian, back in time to discover what led to the Nazi victory - and stop it from happening, to prevent Armageddon.The game itself is a fairly rudimentary shooter with so-so graphics. It's divided into two distinct parts: one set in World War II (passable) and one in 2093 (ridiculous). Panned globally, it was suprisingly well received in Poland itself, marketed as a global hit. May result in a So Bad, It's Good reaction in some.
This game contains examples of:
- Artificial Stupidity: Nazi soldiers in the game are pretty much mindless (though some can do stuff like maneuver and roll, though it's far too uncommon).
- Awesome but Impractical: The MG-42 you carry? Well, you've got about enough ammo for three seconds of sustained fire. Each having the same power as a Mauser round (justified, since it's the same bullet). So much for More Dakka.
- Boring but Practical: The MP-40 and the laser gun are two basic guns in the game that will pretty much serve you up until the endgame.
- Bottomless Magazines: Ammunition for every weapon is stacked into one, continuous bullet feed. Even for the Mauser.
- Excuse Plot: There isn't any actual plot in the game: just a series of tubes, err, rooms where you shoot Nazis. Notes are scattered around, but if you didn't Read The Manual and/or That Other Wiki, good luck trying to understand why you're shooting Nazis. Not that you need a why, mind you.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Luger P-08, MP-40, Mauser Kar98k, MG-42, Panzerfausts, grenades... Did I miss anything?
- Nazis with Gnarly Weapons: Well, 1944 Nazis at least.
- Stupid Jetpack Hitler: You travel back in time using a Nazi-built time machine, although this is a case of All There in the Manual, and they won the war using a wonder weapon.
- Videogame Flamethrowers Suck: The flamethrower can only be anywhere near effective at close range due to high spread of its fire streaks, and even basic mooks can be severe threat at such range. Damage is only good enough to take down weaker enemies, and ammunition is scarce. MP-40 and MG-42 can mow down things almost instantly compared to flamethrower, are effective at much longer range, and their ammo is abundant.