The online Flash game MechQuest
is a "lunch break sized" RPG that takes place in the land of Lore. The game, though online, is single player, and uses online functions for updating the game very easily and for wars. For a one time fee, you can unlock all
the features in the game. It is considered very literal prequel Reset
to both Dragon Fable
. The science-fiction story is based about the land of Lore- about 5,000 years prior to its precursor, AdventureQuest
The main plot revolves around the Shadowscythe, an alien race trying to take over the world
of Lore. Most of the wars and quests are related to the Shadowscythe and the on-going battle to protect their home-world.
For a one-time fee, you can become a Star Captain to buy more weapons, extra quests, more Planets, etc. Since this isn't a monthly fee, it can be worth it, but only if you have US$20 to spare, and are really
into the game; otherwise, you're not paying for too much. You can also buy Nova Gems, whether you are a Star Captain or free player, for strong weapons, decoration for your star-ship, and improved mechas. They add very little
to the game compared to Star Captain-ship. On the brighter side, you can find Nova Gems
as a reward from watching Ballyhoo's ads, but not very often, and only in small packs. Though there is a rare chance of getting fifty in one go.
The game doesn't have only its simple fighting system to keep players enticed. Wars are special events to move certain Planet related plot-lines, where you enter a series of battles, each mecha you (and other players) destroy soon works toward a certain goal to fight the big Boss for some rare Event Items. You can find mini-games, though not many, in some quests. Your own space ship is a big feature, too. You can buy things for your space ship, including a arcade-style video game. The downside is that most of the things for your ship cost Nova Gems.
It is part of the Artix Entertainment
universe, which in order of in-universe chronology goes: MechQuest
(5000 years before AdventureQuest
), Dragon Fable
(set 5 years prior to AdventureQuest
(set 5 years before AdventureQuest Worlds
(set at the same time as Adventure Quest but IN SPACE!
), and AdventureQuest Worlds
. (Mind you this is the simple
version, the Timey-Wimey Ball
of the Reset makes it even more
This game can be found right here
This game provides examples of:
- Ace Custom: Maria 13's EC03 and Mantis Master's Student's Mantis Monk Mech.
- Allegedly Free Game: Becoming a Star Captain gives the ability to max out stats and unlock a number of things, such as unique mechs or more quests, and overall feels more full when you have payed to become a Star Captian. There are also more powerful ships and weapons you can get by paying for a separate currency, and with both you can get a number of overpowered options. You can get buy with just free to star captaincy with no problem.
- Ambiguously Brown: Sys Zero and Odessa Pureheart
- Amusing Injuries: Anyone waiting in line at the hospital.
- Animesque: Somewhat.
- In the n00b drop-ship tutorial, Tek reveals that she has a stash of Mecha anime, which begs the question "Any of me?" once you start to get more awesome.
- She even asks if you want to watch some with her... We're still waiting for that offer.
- Go to the theater to watch a video the MQ team made, warning though, it has some gruesome death, swearing and blood in it.
- Anti-Grinding: Most quest and war monsters are level scaled.
- That doesn't mean that EXP grinding and Credit grinding aren't the most common complaint about the game.
- Anti-Poop Socking : There are daily caps for experience and gold from Ballyhoo.
- Author Avatar: A lot, and maybe even the majority, of major NPCs are based on staff members.
- Backup Twin: Han Vellsing is killed by Miracyrina and after that, Han is replaced by his twin brother Shawn.
- Badass Longcoat: The House Wolfblade frat uniform is a bronze-trimmed red greatcoat with a black Wolfblade sigil on the shoulders.
- Badass Normal: The player character. He/she defeats vampires, werewolves, and some other abnnormals. Averted if he/she becomes a vampire.
- There is Braddock Steele whom fights mechs without ever using a mech
- Bad Boss: Lord Valoth and Mr. Z
- Bad Santa: Shadow Claws and Mr. Z (disguised as 'Zanta Claws')
- Battleship Raid: One at the end of most wars.
- BFG: Attached to the Humongous Mechas.
- Not a small amount of item names end up with BFG in them.
- BFS: In the sword-fighting class at the University, you can get one.
- And you can get quite a few of them for your mecha.
- Big Bad: The Shadowscythe's Lord Valoth. well Valoth did have a master as stated in the art book so Valoth's Master is the True Big Bad
- Bigger Bad: Valoth's Master
- Big Screwed-Up Family: The Vampire Lord Family of Necryptos
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: Star Captainship and Nova Gems.
- Brick Joke: When your character first arrives on Planet Yokai, they crush a bug upon exiting the wormhole. That bug turns out to be Master Mantis.
- Bruce Lee Clone: When the hero is about to fights the Supreme Master/Chuck Norris clone, his/her mech turns into The Dragon Spirit/Bruce Lee clone.
- Char Clone: J6 and Korin for wearing masks plus in AdventureQuest Worlds J6 is revealed to have a Char-Scar
- Boltavolt for having blond hair and wearing red.
- Sys Zero looks almost like Quattro Bejeena.
- Mr. Z for having a mech similar looking to Zeong
- Maria 13 for piloting a red EC03
- The Player can also choose to be a CHAR
- Cherry Tapping
- Cool Mask: J6, Korin, And Jameson,
- Copy And Paste Environments
- Creepy Twins: Dr. Robert Johnson and his other Ebilcorp assistant from Planet Romero. They even speak in unison, which is rather weird in itself.
- Critical Existence Failure
- Cthulhumanoid Kathoo Adepts.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Just buy a Starcaptain monthly mecha, and almost all battles are this.
- Darker and Edgier: The darkest of AE's games? Your Mileage Will Vary.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Student can pilot dark mechs
- There is also the option to make the student a vampire
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Sys Zero
- Dark World: The moon, sometimes. See weird moon, below.
- Deadly Game: Gla-Derp, the Game-show AI of Doom forces your character to participate in nine rounds of Trivia for the planet's fate before it is revealed that the Gla-Derp killed all of the scientists that worked on it... as well as countless planets.
- Deus ex Machina: Somewhat subverted in the end of chapter 2 of the Westion saga. The good dragonoid just got curb stomped by the Shadowscythe's dragonoid. The entire population of Westion evacuates as the planet is destroyed. Victorious, the Shadowscythe are ready to mount another large scale Assault until Korin teleports their dragonoid into some unknown location, thus hindering their advances.
- Disc One Nuke/Bribing Your Way to Victory: The Best Scythe, an exclusive Energy Blade you can acquire if you buy a Star Captain upgrade from Best Buy. It has a high damage variation, but a maximum damage of 20, which is as high as the best standard Energy Blade you can buy from the Energy Blade shop. This can easily make a mockery of most grounded fights for most of the game.
- The Dragon: Commander Qor to Lord Valoth
- Eternal Recurrence: The Reset, in which the characters of MechQuest soon become the characters of DragonFable, and the Dragons/monsters have dominated once again
- Every Car Is a Pinto: And so are Mechas?!
- Evolving Weapon: A few of the weapons in stores. You have to be an Star Captain to get one, though.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Many items. Averted in the case of planet Yokai, which does not contain Yokai.
- Expy: Some NPCs may possibly be Expys (or ancestors?!) or the original NPCs before the Reset- Dean Warlic is confirmed to be the same Warlic at all times (as shown in AdventureQuest Worlds)... While its 'impossible' for Sys-Zero to be Cysero (Since Sys Zero is a Dark-Skinned Blond while Cysero has bright skin and brown hair)
- Sys Zero is not an expy of Cysero, according to the staff.
- Somewhat jossed by the DragonFable quest called Cysero-Redux
- The house mechas are Expys of the Evas from Neon Genesis Evangelion and Sys Zero looks similar to Quattro Bajeena from Zeta Gundam.
- The monthly and event mecha are also each Expies of various characters. Including, but not limited to: Mr T, Captain Falcon, Ash Williams, Alucard and Frankenstein.
- Mr. Z's Mech is an Expy of The Zeong which makes him a CHAR without the mask. Maria13 is also a CHAR since she pilots a Red Ace Custom and wears Red but no mask J6 is also a CHAR since he has a mask.
- Robina who is The First Rhubarb is an Expy of Lelouch from Code Geass
- The entire premise of Pirates vs Authurians is actually Black Knights vs Britannians
- The Zombie Mechas of Mogloween look like the RX-78 Gundam
- Starbuck seems to be an Expy of Kira Yamato since he looks similar to him and Starbuck since his name came from Starbuck
- J6 is an Expy of Bobba Fett
- Terri Fi's Body looks similar to Gurren Lagann but without Kamina's Sunglasses
- Pre-Reset Vampire Queen Safira appears as an princess and is an Expy of Cleopatra.
- Forced Level Grinding: Characters level and gain gold rather slowly. Better about it than Adventure Quest, though.
- In comparison to AdventureQuest (which is considered the base game for the others) DragonFable has more gold grinding and less XP grinding, but MechQuest has more xp grinding and less credit grinding.
- Gender Flip: GLaDERP is a male version of GLaDOS
- Genius Ditz: Twig's Expy, Master Twang, is a master of laser sword combat (and serves as a Demonic Spider duel while you are trying to improve your own skill), yet he still has Twig's body and personality.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The Female Mecha model has a vertical slot in it's codpeice.
- In the opening cutscene to the Lagos War, Xaria yells "All tentacles on deck!!!" Add the fact that Xaria's clothing is all torn up. So... is she calling for soldiers, or...
- When you fight the Werewolf's gang in a blade-fight, the way they 'attack' you heavily look like they're biting hard into your character's chest.
- Global Currency: Credits and Nova Gems
- Guide Dang It: The Necroptos puzzles and the Game-show Planet's impressive backstage maze and guard-bots are hard to beat, even for advanced players.
- Hello, Insert Name Here: You can even leave your name blank.
- Hit Points
- Humongous Mecha: That's what you battle in. And they're pretty darn awesome if you like them.
- Hurricane of Puns: The creators know it. They consider it part of the game's campy and fun atmosphere.
- Idiot Hero: The player character can be a spectacular moron.
- Then again, does it really matter? Smart, Dumb, We're the PCs with the BFGs.
- I Let You Win: J6
- Improbable Weapon User: The latest Easter release has the new non-equipable "monster mecha" giant frikkin' egg.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: part of the "hurricane"
- Inevitable Tournament: the House PVP tournaments
- Inexplicable Treasure Chests: Lampshaded occasionally.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Mecha: Duh.
- It's Up to You: Mandatory for every 'mission'.
- Katanas Are Just Better
- Knight Templar: Mysterious Johnson really hates ghosts, somewhat justified in that they're Always Chaotic Evil. Played straight with Hans Velsing. He wouldn't even talk to you any more once you switch to the vampire class.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: There is Maria 13's Ace Custom and the Sepulchure Mech Alsothe other Vampires also pilot Red along with Vampire Lord Piotr and Miracyrina but the mecha is made of energy plus Count Mechula is a Red Mech and the Player Can choose to be this Trope and The Doom Lord is the most powerful of The Reds.
- Light Is Not Good: Slugwrath's mech has golden energy and has golden lines and in AdventureQuest his element is shown to be light
- Limited Sound Effects: The sound of two mechas in battle.
- Loading Screen: Occasionally with a joke on them, so you don't get bored.
- Lost World: Krotos
- Macross Missile Massacre: Some of the starter shoulders fire four missiles, but you can find others that fire six. And don't get me started on the Skullcrusher shoulders!
- Magitek: House Runehawk's hat. Their custom mechs are stated to run on Mana, magical power.
- Marked Change: Various armours, shields and weapons.
- Mascot Mook: Shadowscythe warriors.
- The Medic: You can even become one.
- Mega Corp.: EbilCorp, formerly known as EvilCorp.
- Money Spider
- Multi-Mook Melee
- Name's the Same: Char of MechQuest has the same name as Char the Chef Dragon from Dragon Fable and Char Aznable from Gundam. Prince Robert is also the name of Dread Bandit Robert in Dragon Fable'', and Constantine has the same name as The Werewolf King.
- News Travels Fast
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: You can have one house, but several job classes and take university courses that give you classes.
- Non-Linear Sequel: WarpForce and AdventureQuest Worlds might be this.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: The Princess mecha.
- Noodle Incident: The Reset of time which will ultimately affect the future...
- One-Man Army: You take down thousands of Shadowscythe soldiers throughout the game. "You think the Shadowscythe would have realised that they aren't getting past Player_Name by now."
- Orcus on His Throne: the Big Bad Valoth has yet to leave his Shadowscythe base.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Our werewolves wear sneakers, clothes and make pies- Moon pie, to be exact.
- Planet of Hats: Westion is the Western planet, Zargon is the Superhero planet, Necryptos is full of Vampires... Lagos is a planet of Pirates, Yokai is full of Japanese stuff, and so on.
- Pop Quiz: Going to 1337 Falcon's Reach will give you a pop quiz to infiltrate the werewolf hideout.
- Power of Love: The Ticklish Zorbo weapons. Emphasis on the Power. Activates healing powers, increases your dodge rate to ridiculous levels and is essentially a Game Breaker.
- The Quisling: Kingadent Slugwrath.
- Robeast: The Shadowscythe have some of them
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: When becoming a vampire the player character dressed in red and black fancy vampire cloths
- Redemption Equals Death: Boltavolt
- Restart The World: The Player Character restarts the universe accidentally after defeating The Big Bad through a related coffee-spillage accident, recreating the world as Dragon Fable.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Master Twang.
- Rule of Cool
- Rule of Fun: Dreadful puns, crazy mecha, bizarre monsters, and immediate recourse to violence tend to make for any extremely silly game.
- And yet this game is considered the least-silly in the eyes of the fanbase.
- : The equip zoom will tell you that a mecha is at 1 and a human is at 100, meaning the mech is 100 times larger. This is completely skewed anywhere else.
- Screw You Shadowscythe: Lord Valoth is shown to boast about The Shadowscythe superiority at Westion
- Self-Imposed Challenge: Anything on Necryptos without a Vampire Hunter. Also, fighting any boss on Xtreme mode qualifies too.
- Attempting any of the Necryptos bosses without a blood crystal. *shudder*
- Serious Business: One would not think pizza delivery would involve combat, but the Rusty Rat pizza chain is more than willing to sic their company mecha on you.
- Shout-Out: Loads and loads and loads of references to Science Fiction.
- Space Cadet Academy: The GEARS Academy.
- Space Opera: Seems like this sometimes.
- Summon Bigger Fish: Call of Kathoo-Achoo, a shoulder weapon available in the Nova Gems section at Tek's.
- Take That
- Trademark Favorite Food: Fish-flavoured ice cream (Master Twang).
- The Undead: Several zombie-themed mecha are stated to be possessed by ghosts. This is for a Ghostbusters Shout-Out. There are some on planet Romero, which are unrelated to the Ghost-Zombie mecha.
- The Unfought: The First Mantis Master it turns out you killed him at the first part of the Yokai Plot Line
- Violence Is the Only Option: Lampshaded, of course.
- The Virus: Planet Romero
- Wallet of Holding
- War Is Hell: Some scenes of the Westion War are like that. Well, only the people and some soldiers survive, but Drakrylos killed other soldiers and some ships.
- Weird Moon: On Lore's twin moons, it's always night-time. Extremely odd, given real moons have actual daytimes?!
- Wide Open Sandbox: While quests are set, you can still choose to do most of them at any time in any order.
- You ALL Look Familiar
- You Mean Xmas: Frostval- It's an Artix tradition.
- In replacement of the town of Frostvale, we get the colder planet Toth with Yetis and robotic Xmas trees.