Video Game / Lets Go Island
Let's Go Island: Lost In the Tropics
is a Sega
light gun sequel game to the 2009 game, Let's Go Jungle: Lost on the Island of Spice
The game follows the story of Beth and her bumbling tour guide, Zack. While out on a boat tour around the island, pirates being chased by sharks crash into their boat and try to commandeer it. The two are thrown overboard and wash ashore on a tropical island, where the local wildlife has gone crazy. Beth and Zack must work together if they hope to escape the island.
The game follows many of the same conventions as the original games, mixing arcade shooting with Press X to Not Die
segments with a few control tweaks. It is also notable for being the first 3D motion ride arcade produced by Sega.
This game contains examples of:
- Attack Its Weak Point: The same tried and true "hit the circles before they flash red" system from previous Sega games.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The boss battles of the game continue this tradition.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Depending on whether or not you defeat the coral reef monster, Beth may pull one of these in the ending.
Beth: I came on this trip to find myself. But instead, I found... [looks at Zack, who grins] ...Absolutely nothing! I want my money back!
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Though they are no longer the main enemies, the second boss is a giant fly being hoisted by its minions.
- Casual Danger Dialog: Type III. Most of the exposition is saved for when the players have control, which generally results in Zack driving, machine-gunning enemies and discussing his financial situation all at once.
- Catch Phrase: Generally used to signal a change in gameplay. Beth yells "do something about it!" at the start of a shooting section, whereas Zack yells "what's coming after us this time?" to signal the continuation of a boss battle.
- Co-Op Multiplayer: As with the first game, if you're playing with a partner the game grades you on how well you work together.
- Continuity Nod: The green chemicals that causes the giant mutations from the first game return and even create the final boss of the game.
- The Cameo: Ben and Norah, the protagonists from the first game, can be seen in some of the stage photos as well as walking by in the credits.
- Eldritch Abomination: The final boss is an octopus mutated by the chemicals from the first game.
- Giant Enemy Crab
- Golden Snitch: Like the previous game, the ending depends on whether you succeed or fail the final quick time event.
- Golden Ending: As with the first game, the ending changes depending on whether or not players complete the final quick time event. Succeeding results in Beth and Zack destroying the coral reef monster and falling in love and becoming a couple.
- Heroic Dolphin: Two come into play near the end of the game, guiding players through the wreck of a ship.
- Improbable Weapon User: At one point, the heroes have to use golf balls and champagne bottle to fend off enemies. The final boss is defeated with a bottle rocket.
- Large Ham: Pretty much all the characters here.
- Made of Explodium: The locusts explode into flames when defeated by co-operative shot.
- Press X to Not Die: Similar to the first game, they involve:
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Zack in the English version speaks with a thick New Zealand accent, though the voice actor has difficulty keeping it up.
- Reality Subtext: Zack mentions that he used to work on the titular island, but was laid off due to a "financial crisis".
- Recurring Boss: As with the giant spider from the first game, this one has a giant octopus. Fridge Brilliance for the fact that both of them have eight legs.
- Ruthless Modern Pirates: Discussed. Beth asks if the pirates they're trying to get away from in the first stage are anything like the ones in fiction. They're not.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: The duo can hold their breath underwater for at least three minutes, whilst firing guns and talking.
- Threatening Shark: You battle a few during the first and last stages.
- You Watch Too Much X: In the first stage, Beth inquires about their attackers:
Beth: Pirates? Like, "shiver me timbers, yo ho ho?"
Zack: You've been watching too many movies, lady.