Legend of the Valkyrie
(Valkyrie no Densetsu
in Japanese) is a Japan-exclusive game released by Namco in 1989 in arcades and in 1990 on PC Engine.
The hero is the eponymous Valkyrie, a female warrior who wields a sword and is accompanied by Krino Sandra, a frog-like creature who, despite the name is a dude and not a girl. They venture through Marvel Land (no relationship to a certain famous comic book company
) to vanquish the demon lord Zouna.
The game is probably best known to US audiences through its web comic
from Shifty Look
. The web comic was initially written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray
with art drawn by Fernando Heinz Furukawa
, but is written and drawn by Ashley Davis following a massive Art Shift
The game provides examples of:
The web comic provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Sabine and her dad, Andy.
- Art Shift: A massive one occurred when drawing and writing duties were given to Ashley Davis starting in "Time for a Change". YMMV if it's for the best.
- Blush Sticker: Sabine had these in the art shift until after the team had defeated Zouna.
- Cut Short: The comic was in the middle of one more storyline after defeating the Big Bad which involved a seed that when planted could grant any wish. It gets stolen by an apparently shadow version of Valkyrie and the two engage in battle. But Namco soon gave the word they were canceling Shifty Look and all the comics. So the story was hastily concluded without any payoff.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Sandra is this in her human form, but with green hair.
- Hartman Hips: Sabine the Quarkman warrior has these. Kinda.
- Only Sane Man: Sabine is more or less this. Someone on the forums even mentioned this trope, word for word.
- Shout-Out: A few.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Sabine has blue hair and Sandra has green hair.