Video Game: K.O.L.M.
- Youíre a broken robot. Fix yourself up to please Mother.
Do as youíre told.
You donít want to let her down, and you canít even jump yet. Letís do something about that.
This game provides examples of
- 100% Completion: There a bunch of metal plates to collect in each game, each with a letter on them. Each game puts them all together at the end. The first game spells "It's Kind Of Like Metroid". The second game spells "Including ICO".
- Abusive Parents: Mother becomes increasingly irritable at Robbie as the game continues.
- Bag of Spilling: Largely averted between K.O.L.M. and K.O.L.M. 2, though the invincibility shield is gone without an explanation.
- Brain Uploading: Everyone except Sister. But she's next.
- Dead All Along: Rob comes to this realization concerning his parents during the first game's Escape Sequence:Rob: I remember this from before! This is what happened before Father died! And...From when before...before you died Mother.
- Big Bad: Mother in both games and Father in the second.
- Enemy Mine: K.O.L.M. 2 makes it obvious Mother and Father can't stand each other... but they show up together at the end to take you out.
- Metroidvania: It is Kind Of Like Metroid...
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The first game has you blowing up the reactor, triggering a Metroid-esque timed escape. The second game has you escorting your sister to Father, at which point it becomes clear this was a bad idea.
- No Name Given: The robot is called "Robbie", "Robert", and so on, but the only other characters are only ever referred to as "Mother", "Father" and your "Sister".
- Offscreen Teleportation: When traveling with Sister in the second game, you can move to the next room with either Robbie or Sister, and the other will instantly appear in the next room with you. Even if they were trapped by an impassable obstacle.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: If you take a hit, you explode and respawn at the entrance of the current room.
- Super Drowning Skills: Although not instantaneous, Sis will still drown in water quickly if you don't find an air tank.
- Weaksauce Weakness: How does a robot with enough agility to crawl through holes half it's height, lasers powerful enough to blow away any other robot in one hit, and the ability to triple jump, somehow blow up on contact with sunlight?
- Possibly justified, due to his chassis not having the proper shielding installed to deal with the apparently harsh sunlight. But Sister can walk around just fine, and she's a normal human.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Robbie's mother clearly has no respect for him. And at the end of the sequel, his father turns out to be a pretty terrible person as well.
- Wham Episode: K.O.L.M. 2. You discover that your father is alive and that you have a sister for starters.
- Wham LineRobbie: ...I was made of meat.