It's good to be the shark.Jaws Unleashed
is a video game developed by Appaloosa Interactive and released on the Playstation 2
, based on the Jaws
film franchise. You get to play as the shark, who chomps its way through sealife, humans and their constructions.
A sequel Jaws: Ultimate Predator
was released in 2011 for the 3DS and Wii, while another, Jaws: Revenge
was made by the Creator/Rebellion studio and released for mobile devices.
Examples in this game:
- Big Damn Heroes: When you destroy Michael Brody's boat, Craddock, the shark hunter employed by Environplus arrives on a helicopter to save him.
- Blood Is Squicker in Water: Things that you eat have more blood in them than it's possible.
- Cel Shading: The sequel is done in this style.
- Deadly Lunge: Inverted with the bikini-clad girl swimmers in Jaws: Revenge, who will quickly pick up in speed once you approach them, which makes eating them slightly more difficult.
- Derelict Graveyard: There's a lagoon filled with sunken ships.
- Exploding Barrels: You can throw barrels to this effect. In Jaws: Revenge the hostile helicopters will drop exploding mines down at you.
- Eye Scream: You have to bite out the giant squid's eyes during the fight against it.
- Giant Squid: Story mission nine starts off fighting one.
- Gorn: Jaws Unleashed contains large amounts of blood and gore. Guts spill out of people you bite, heads can be seen floating in the water, etc. Jaws Revenge goes for the more understated Red Mist style, but it's still not for the squeamish.
- Gotta Catch Them All: The tin cans and licence plates in Jaws Unleashed.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: You explode boats by throwing people at them in Unleashed. In Revenge, the shark's bulk will do once you attack them enough times.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: The fight with the killer whale ends with the shark biting it in half in mid-air.
- Harpoon Gun: Some divers will attack you with these.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: Once again, Amity is celebrating Fourth of July.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: You regain health by eating anything living in sight.
- Jaws First Person Perspective: The Shark Vision.
- Made of Explodium: Any machine that you destroy.
- Made of Iron: The shark can survive several explosive barrels and contact mines before dying if it begins at full health.
- Natural Weapon: Naturally. You can smash objects with your tail or bite with your teeth.
- No One Could Survive That: When the Environplus' underwater facility explodes, the shark is assumed to be dead.
- Piranha Problem: You'll have to face them as the shark in the aquarium stages.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: While you do face alligators in Unleashed, in Ultimate Predator you get to face aquatic dinosaurs and a giant crocodile.
- Sea Mine: You have navigate through these in the seventh story mission.
- Shark Tunnel: You get to destroy these in the second story mission.
- Shout-Out: One of the bosses is a Killer Whale. It may or may not be a reference to the 1977 film Orca, which was a Jaws knockoff.
- Spin Attack: One of the unlockable special moves in Unleashed.
- Super Mode: The shark in Revenge can enter one after eating enough stuff, which turns the edges of the screen blood-red, makes it practically invulnerable to damage and lets it jump high enough to destroy (relatively) high-flying planes.
- Stock Subtitle: Revenge and Unleashed are hardly all that original.
- Threatening Shark: What did you expect?
- Under the Sea: Enforced by the fact that the player character is a fish.
- Underwater Base: You destroy one during the ninth story mission.
- Underwater Boss Battle: The fights against orca and the giant squid.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Where do we begin?
- You can rip apart men, women and children alike, attacking them as they scream bloody murder.
- You can rip apart other aquatic life, while they try their damndest to get away.
- You can throw people back on the beach and watch them explode in a bloody mist.
- Villain Protagonist: The sharks tend to be the Big Bads of the films.
- Wide Open Sandbox: The whole ocean is your playground.
- Window Pain: Plenty of sturdy glass panes shatter before you.